Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity

Options
  • 08-08-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

What pieces would for you represent the brink of sanity/insanity?
    I'm interesting in listening to some pieces like this because I have found art and poetry in a similar vein to be very intriguing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

I really like this piece. The constant onslaught of notes, it is easy to imagine why Ravel has a nervous breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

The Devil's staircase by Ligeti.

Rapidly moving notes that constantly approach the extremities of the keyboard but never quite seem to arrive there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Keith Garrett. You listen and it goes on and on and on and on. Then when it eventually stops you just have to realise you can never have that 20 minutes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dirigent wrote: »
    Keith Garrett. You listen and it goes on and on and on and on. Then when it eventually stops you just have to realise you can never have that 20 minutes back.

You mean Keith Jarrett?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    The Devil's staircase by Ligeti.

Rapidly moving notes that constantly approach the extremities of the keyboard but never quite seem to arrive there.

That's the first thing that came into my head!
    A few others from the Études and from Musica ricercata too..
    Maybe Poeme Symphonique as well, although that might be inspiring insanity rather than representing it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

I've yet to listen to the rest, but the devil's staircase is AMAZING.

Thanks for all the replies!

Advertisement