Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Ógra FF - Should students be denied their right to vote?

Options
  • 08-08-2011 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Should third level students be denied their right to vote in a Presidential election and in a referendum? We in Ógra Fianna Fáil believe that everybody in society should have the right to vote on the same day. This strategy by the Government does not consider students, those who are on co-op or former students who work away from the voting constituency that they reside during the week. Here is the view of our Chair Ger Fogarty who spoke at the launch of "Your President Your Vote" Campaign at the Ógra Fianna Fáil Summer School last Saturday, 6th August.

"Presidential Election on Thursday, 27th October will deny many young people their vote” – Fogarty

Saturday 6th August, saw Ógra Fianna Fáil launch a campaign calling on the Government to keep its commitment of holding polling in elections and referenda at weekends. As part of the campaign Ógra has launched an Email Lobby Tool on the organisations website which allows members of the public to easily communicate a message to the Government. Ógra Fianna Fáil has set an ambitious target of over 10,000 emails to be delivered from members of the public over the next 30 days.

Speaking at Saturday’s campaign launch, Chairperson for University of Limerick Ógra Fianna Fáil (Con Colbert Cumann) Ger Fogarty said “The Fine Gael and Labour Government’s decision to renege on their promise, by holding the upcoming Presidential election on Thursday 27th October and not on a weekend date, must be reversed, as committed to during the General Election Campaign.

“Midweek Polling prevents many students and employees living or working outside the constituency from exercising their democratic franchise.”

“Ógra is inviting all members of the public to participate in the online campaign calling for Weekend Polling by logging on to the website www.ogra.ie and using the Email Campaign Tool to send a message to the Government.”

ENDS

As a Third Level Cumann, we don't understand what motives the Goverment had behind deciding to hold the Presidential election and referenda on a Thursday. For many of us, it will deny us the right to vote on the person we want to be the next President of Ireland. Why should we stand for this? Will we stand for this? NO! Have your say! Sign the below link, be one of the 10,000 who will make a difference as we in Ógra Fianna Fáil aim to ensure everyone has the right to vote on a day that is fair for everyone!

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/speakout/weekend-polling-for-presidential-election

This is one of the many campaigns we will be working on during the upcoming year. Be involved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Why would you be surprised that any government FF FG or LABOUR renege on any promise, Student Grants, Hospital Bed closures Primary, Post Primary and Third Level Education Funding to name but a few.

This country has gone to the dogs over the past 10 years, I'm not getting on to you but your are proclaiming to be the Young voice of a major political party who still lines their pockets with the borrow IMF money whilst cutting decent peoples wages and draining the blood from poor souls on social welfare benefits who now find themselves on a big heap of construction workers with inflated mortgages.

Stock Market crashes and Riots on the streets of London.

Welcome to the 1980!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I know many will just read the title and see FF so heres the TL;DR version.

Pretty much its a campaign set up by Ogra Fianna Fail in which you can multimail the each member of the current Cabinet of our government asking them to change the voting day from a Thursday to a weekend date.

This Thursday voting date will affect thousands of students through out the country as well as many commuters and such too.While there is a postal voting option many do not know of this option and more so many wouldnt as of the hassle.

Before the last general election Enda Kenny Promised he would never let people out by having elections on weekends only.There is no valid or true reason as to why now he has now chosen a Thursday voting day.

This is not about Political party's or trying to gain popularity for any youth branch as both Young Labour and Young Fine Gael are also against this.

This is about your right as an Irish Citzen to vote without hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 99Astra

This is not about Political party's or trying to gain popularity for any youth branch as both Young Labour and Young Fine Gael are also against this.

This is about your right as an Irish Citzen to vote without hassle.[/QUOTE]

Exactly we all should have the right to vote on a day that is fair and hassle free for everybody and this is what the campaign is trying to highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

99Astra wrote: »

This is about your right as an Irish Citzen to vote without hassle.

you'd think FF had never been in power, let alone for most of the last few decades!

you'd think FF had never been in power, let alone for most of the last few decades!

Again not about party politics :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bit of a pointless campaign when students can register for postal votes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 99Astra

Bit of a pointless campaign when students can register for postal votes

Some people are in lectures all day and may not get a chance to post their vote. Then again you may forget to do it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

It's worthwhile at least, some people probably don't care about the elction but i'm sure a lot fthem want to make their vote count at least.

Some people are in lectures all day and may not get a chance to post their vote. Then again you may forget to do it :rolleyes:

Putting a letter in the post isn't rocket science :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Allot of people don't know how to register for this.
    Allot of people wont be bothered to go through such a procedure.

I know many will say that why bother changing the date for people if those same people dont feel its important enough to register for a postal vote...Well effectively this is discouraging voting.Voting needs to be encouraged among young people or else its significance will be lost.

The Current government said before power they would make sure that any future election would be held on weekends and such that would give ease of access to all.Now for some reason(Which we will not discuss here)they changed this stance.

The average student turnout will be affected.

By all means if Kenny doesn't change his mind then we'll promote the postal register & vote(Which I'm pretty sure the SU will do too).But with such a postal vote as I said just above,it will affect the young vote,with a lower student/adolescent vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

USI have already tried to address this

Which just highlights why more youth organisations need to join in critising and contacting the Government :p

Seloth wrote: »
    Allot of people don't know how to register for this.
    Allot of people wont be bothered to go through such a procedure.
    It's very simple - tell them how

If they are not bothered part of me suspects they probably are not bothered about voting in general.

Terry Pratchet

By the way the postal vote register closes two days after the Minister signs the legislation calling the election. (I think this will be in about 3 weeks) If you wait too long to actually promote postal voting then you won't get people registered on time. In my opinion if you were really focused on encouraging youth voting rather than party political sniping the campaign would focus on postal voting registration

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Yeah, you would never have guessed the last election was on a Friday...... Jesus, they actually changed it back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Uh huh..... And they continue to suck at everything. That's why we don't have them here !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I would firmly support weekend voting and have been on the record in the politics forum saying as such.

However, could the OP inform everyone the days the 1999 local and European elections, 2002 general election, 2004 local and European elections, 2007 general election, 2009 local and European elections and the various referenda between 1997 and 2011?

All of these were decided by FF for electoral gain(mostly Thursday's and Friday's). It's a deeply cynical exercise for Ogra to pretend the last 14 years did not exist. Also the 27th of October is mid-term for many Universities and 3rd level institutions and all secondary schools, so the Thursday on that particular instance is not as bad as other Thursdays, although I do agree with the premise of weekend elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Well pointed out.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

Postal Voters List
    You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre but you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    A member of the Garda Síochána
    A whole-time member of the Defence Forces.
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

Of a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution in Ireland, which is away from your home address where you are registered
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.
    Applications for inclusion on the Postal Voters List must be received by 25 November at the latest.

If you are registered as a postal voter, you may vote by post only. You may not vote at a polling station.

Supplement to the Postal Voters List

If you are eligible for the postal voter list but are not included, you can apply for inclusion in the relevant supplement to the lists.

The latest date for receipt of applications is two days after the date of dissolution of the Dáil in the case of a general election or two days after the order appointing polling day for other elections or referenda.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Again not about party politics

That's a bit rich! The thread was opened by a member of Ogra FF, therefore it is de facto a politically motivated thread and (IMHO) a thinly veiled attempt to stir.

Which is fair enough given OFF (Always like that acronym :p) are a politically motivated body, with a series of goals and aims.

But if you're stirring, at least have the courage of your convictions to admit it :D

• Advertisement

DCJR is correct in that btw in that UL is not apart of the USI.

mango salsa
    If they are not bothered part of me suspects they probably are not bothered about voting in general.

Many people will vote,but causing people to have to register will discourage voting of many more.I have plenty of friends who would vote but it would simply slip their mind or they wouldnt know of that option to register.You have to remember the Age group you are dealing with.Were either just of voting age or a few years in,with most of us thinking what is the cherry of a night out is bringing a Orange cone home.We maybe Legal adults but culturally,mentally and through the eyes of many we are not so many things still need to be encouraged.
    If you wait too long to actually promote postal voting then you won't get people registered on time. In my opinion if you were really focused on encouraging youth voting rather than party political sniping the campaign would focus on postal voting registration

Unfortunately since the semester hasnt started yet no youth party group can promote it within UL at the present.The SU have very little chance in promoting it as well at such a short time.Now if its changed so its not a date in three weeks time then everyone can promote it :D

Mango may I ask if your against the date moving?Or do you just think the campaign is foolish(Not trying to stir an argument just curious.)

Pride Fighter
    However, could the OP inform everyone the days the 1999 local and European elections, 2002 general election, 2004 local and European elections, 2007 general election, 2009 local and European elections and the various referenda between 1997 and 2011?

All of these were decided by FF for electoral gain(mostly Thursday's and Friday's). It's a deeply cynical exercise for Ogra to pretend the last 14 years did not exist. Also the 27th of October is mid-term for many Universities and 3rd level institutions and all secondary schools, so the Thursday on that particular instance is not as bad as other Thursdays, although I do agree with the premise of weekend elections.

Guys again this isnt about party politics as both Young FG and Labour Youth are supporting the weekend move.It was FF that established there would be third level fee's and FG/Lab who brought them in but all three youth partys opposed them.Ogra FF is a branch off FF but it doesnt mean we agreed with what happened in the past or had anything to do with it.

constantg
    That's a bit rich! The thread was opened by a member of Ogra FF, therefore it is de facto a politically motivated thread and (IMHO) a thinly veiled attempt to stir.

Which is fair enough given OFF (Always like that acronym ) are a politically motivated body, with a series of goals and aims.

But if you're stirring, at least have the courage of your convictions to admit it

Hah the thread title I think is more a result that he's trying to say its a UL society announcement :pac:.

But quite honestly this is not politically,but student motivated.As I said above each Youth branch is wishing for a date change.This is just a Campaign organised by OFF(:P).You dont have to use this service if you wish.If your against the date you can write to them or email them yourselves,the website is just harboring a tool to do so.
    ----

Lads as I said this is just one small part of a campaign which Ogra FF and Other Youth partys and groups are apart of.

It was a mistake for my friend to put in Ógra FF in the title(Which I'll clatter his head for :p) as while it is an announcement from the UL Ógra and its a online tool created by the Ogra this campaign is not for FF or any in youth party branches but Students & Anyone else affected by this be it commuters or what have you.

This thread isnt a slap at the current government and its not too promote FF.I myself would have voted for Norris(Ind) if he was still in the running and I'm now seriously looking at Michael D.Higgins(Lab).The only person in FF that would get my vote would be Brian Crowely but even then I'd be divided on himself and Michael D.

Hopefully that sorted things out :D.

If not could ye PM us your concerns or any highlighting of info.The thread is for discussing and promoting a student campaign and while related too it, it is not for discussing voting registration.The information for voting registration has been presented and there seems to be little else need for a discussion on said topic.

P.s Guys my responses were just responses.I'm not attempting nor do I wish for any argument or debate to erupt and (As much as I am guilty of it) arguing on boards over politics is for the most part stupid.(Which luckily nothing major has happened yet :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I heard there a number of referendums to be voted on the day of the presidential vote, i'll certainly vote, but it's a list of fairly uninspiring candidates so far :P hope someone will prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ULSU will be providing the postal voting form. I have asked Paddy to sort the Gardaí to stamp the voter reg forms and I've spoken to SAA who will have a drop box for postal vote stamping.

If you are already registered to vote you just need to drop the postal vote form outside SAA with your UL address.

If not you can go to your local Garda station in the next 2-3 weeks, get the form, get a Garda to witness you sign the form, then drop the form at SAA during week 1 or 2. These forms need to be sent within 2 days of the order appointing the date of the election.

I have asked the Department of Environment and Local Government to confirm that this was not the date when the cabinet decided the date.

YOU MUST ALSO REGISTER FOR MODULES BY FRIDAY WEEK 1 OR THE FORM WILL NOT BE STAMPED

Registering by Friday Week 1 also means you avoid paying a €200 fine

I was on fulltime duty with the Army Reserves at the time of the Europeans last time and it was really awkward having to take a day off to go home to vote. I think it should be a lot easier to access a postal vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

If people want to vote badly enough they'll find the few minutes to post their vote.

ceewa wrote: »
    If people want to vote badly enough they'll find the few minutes to post their vote.

That's what i thought but no - apparently students are not able to do that because their lectures are 10 hours a day, 6 days a week

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

That's what i thought but no - apparently students are not able to do that because their lectures are 10 hours a day, 6 days a week

LOL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

This whole topic is very ironic coming from FF......gone are the days ye call the shots. Just shut go back under your rock

This country is in a dire state and its this parties fault!!! How can you expect us to listen to ye......

joey12 wrote: »
    This whole topic is very ironic coming from FF......gone are the days ye call the shots. Just shut go back under your rock

This country is in a dire state and its this parties fault!!! How can you expect us to listen to ye......

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I, for one, find it ironic that this campaign is being run by ógra FF. The 2007 general election was held on a Thursday also, if i remember correctly there wasn't a peep out of ógra! Maybe something to do with a lot of students being anti-FF and good old Bertie setting the date!

Advertisement