Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Hamill retires from MMA

• 08-08-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

After a 9-4 UFC run that included impressive victories over Mark Munoz, Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine, Tim Boetsch, and Seth Petruzelli, light-heavyweight contender Matt Hamill has confirmed that he is retiring from MMA competition. The TUF 3 castmember and inspirational figure made the announcement on his website today, in the wake of his TKO loss to Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133. As Hamill wrote:

Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport.

The UFC has been extremely good to me and given me an opportunity to make a great living. That exposure has allowed me options outside the Octagon as well. I just don’t have it in me to fight anymore and my last two performances have shown that.

I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance. My career has been plagued by injuries starting with The Ultimate Fighter and disrupted my training ever since.

There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of non stop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.

I can’t continue to fight without having the hunger and desire to do so. I can’t let my performances reflect on my coaches who are the best in the world and the reason I’ve made it this far.

I have fallen in love with the sport of Mixed Martial Arts and I will continue to coach at our gym Mohawk Valley MMA along side my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC. I also look forward to continuing my business ventures outside the UFC including “Hamill” the movie based on my life story set to be released this fall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

After a 9-4 UFC run that included impressive victories over Mark Munoz, Tito Ortiz, Keith Jardine, Tim Boetsch, and Seth Petruzelli, light-heavyweight contender Matt Hamill has confirmed that he is retiring from MMA competition. The TUF 3 castmember and inspirational figure made the announcement on his website today, in the wake of his TKO loss to Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133. As Hamill wrote:

Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC I’m ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport.

The UFC has been extremely good to me and given me an opportunity to make a great living. That exposure has allowed me options outside the Octagon as well. I just don’t have it in me to fight anymore and my last two performances have shown that.

I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance. My career has been plagued by injuries starting with The Ultimate Fighter and disrupted my training ever since.

There hasn’t been even one training camp where I’ve been able to train without training around an injury. I have not been kind to my body and it has nothing left after 28 years of non stop competition. It’s time to finally give it a rest.

I can’t continue to fight without having the hunger and desire to do so. I can’t let my performances reflect on my coaches who are the best in the world and the reason I’ve made it this far.

I have fallen in love with the sport of Mixed Martial Arts and I will continue to coach at our gym Mohawk Valley MMA along side my teammates and help the next generation of fighters make it to the UFC. I also look forward to continuing my business ventures outside the UFC including “Hamill” the movie based on my life story set to be released this fall.

What an amazing guy !!! That Munoz head kick will be played in every UFC KO video forever, and rightly so...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Always remember the time he "beat" Bisping.

Decent video up on our site if you're interested:

http://www.fightireland.com/2011/08/matt-hamill-retiresmore-than-fighter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Damn, loved him since TUF 3...

I guess all that's left to say is...

"Let the king rest.." :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I'm glad he has the sense to bow out now when he's good and healthy rather than take anymore unnecessary beatings. Not many fighters do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very good fighter and a nice guy too. Wasn't surprised he looked very static in his last fight more so than usual and his takedown attempts lacked guile. Looking forward to the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Pretty sad to see him retire but when your hearts not in it you're only cheating yourself by stepping into the cage. I do think he'll make one of the best wrestling coaches out there in mma though.

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Thats kind of a strange move, there are plenty of other fighters who are a lot more washed up than him, but I guess ha has more sense. He's a loss to the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I was never a fan of his, but I admire him biting the bullet and retiring before becoming a farce

I was never a fan of his, but I admire him biting the bullet and retiring before becoming a farce

explain farce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

explain farce?

Ken Shamrock ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Ken Shamrock ????

You can type for days and still the only comparison you could make between Hamill and Shamrock is their both MMA Fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

"Farce?" Are you for real. His last defeat was obviously a bad loss but he was one of the most competitive guys in the division for the past 5 years. 3 months ago he would have been considered for a title shot had he beat Rampage. I always loved watching Matt since TUF and he put on so many great fights. His fight with Rich Franklin is one of the most under rated fights. The only time he was made look poor was against Jones. This guy could have fought another 10years without becoming a farce.

Xlami wrote: »
    "Farce?" Are you for real. His last defeat was obviously a bad loss but he was one of the most competitive guys in the division for the past 5 years. 3 months ago he would have been considered for a title shot had he beat Rampage. I always loved watching Matt since TUF and he put on so many great fights. His fight with Rich Franklin is one of the most under rated fights. The only time he was made look poor was against Jones. This guy could have fought another 10years without becoming a farce.

I don't even know where to start on this one so thanks Xlami for taking that one on. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't think "farce" is the right word, but I think the point is that Matt could have kept on fighting but his heart wouldn't have been in it.

Good decision to retire if that was his mindset, and he'll have a solid career as a coach. Maybe in a few years he'll venture back into the cage again, if his body has healed up a bit. Sounds like he's been plagued by injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm glad he's gone - can't stand him. Him or his soft head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You can type for days and still the only comparison you could make between Hamill and Shamrock is their both MMA Fighters.

Eh, nobody compared him to Ken Shamrock. boxer.fan used Ken Shamrock of an example of a farce.

Remember during the Hamill-Rampage countdown? Hamill had to have a chiropractor in his camp at all times. He obviously needed adjustment more than once a week. Imagine the discomfort of that. His wrestling seems to be a bit rusty aswell which probably comes from the injuries. He had a good run to be fair and some good moments (munoz ko) so he should be remembered as a good Light Heavyweight.

I wouldn't say farce by any means.

Are people ITT just incapable of reading? Nobody called him a farce.
    retiring before becoming a farce

There ya go. Edited it...happy? :p

Eh, nobody compared him to Ken Shamrock. boxer.fan used Ken Shamrock of an example of a farce.
    Forest Master, you need to stop following me around the forums and trying to argue with me, you never win! How long now until you mention that you don't like my band?

Anyway, an indirect comparison was made between Hamill and Shamrock. Someone claimed he might become something like Ken Shamrock. In order for this to happen, Hamill and Shamrock would need to have similar traits somewhere.

Just like if I said "Lionel Messi is in danger of becoming the next John Wayne Gasy". It would make no sense because they have nothing in common. Just like Matt Hammil and Ken Shamrock. They have nothing in common...... except they happen to have the same job.

Try to keep up yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

explain farce?
    Xlami wrote: »

This:

I never called him a bad fighter. By "farce", I was referring to people who IMO should have retired long before they did, e.g. Chuck, Crocop

It probably wasn't the best word to use, but still no need to get your boxers in a twist

Agreed "farce" was a poor choice of words - insulting some may say but I accept what you were saying my good lord :D

In fairness to Matt, I don't think his retirement should be seen as smart compared to the failure to retire of others like Chuck. Simply because, Matt is not and has never been an A Level fighter, not like Chuck. The problem with Chuck was, he was past it and fighting top guys and getting embarrassed.

Matt is an above average fighter, but he doesn't belong in the cage with the likes of Rampage IMO. And this is why he's been taking bad losses. He shouldn't retire from the sport in my opinion, but he should never expect to become World Champion either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bjjwizard

just in time for his new movie being released.
    sad to see such a character go

Forest Master, you need to stop following me around the forums and trying to argue with me, you never win! How long now until you mention that you don't like my band?

Anyway, an indirect comparison was made between Hamill and Shamrock. Someone claimed he might become something like Ken Shamrock. In order for this to happen, Hamill and Shamrock would need to have similar traits somewhere.

Just like if I said "Lionel Messi is in danger of becoming the next John Wayne Gasy". It would make no sense because they have nothing in common. Just like Matt Hammil and Ken Shamrock. They have nothing in common...... except they happen to have the same job.

Try to keep up yeah?

"Could become the next farce" - << see those bolded words - that's what makes the difference.

There was no comparison made between Hamill & Shamrock. Someone mentioned that there is the potential for a comparison to be made in the future, if Hamill didn't get out when he did.

Try to keep up. It's very simple logic.

And I said you could potentially type all night and potentially the only comparison would potentially be made between them would be that they're both MMA guys......potentially!

Now stop stalking me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The only thing that has the potential to become a farce is this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

This:

I never called him a bad fighter. By "farce", I was referring to people who IMO should have retired long before they did, e.g. Chuck, Crocop

It probably wasn't the best word to use, but still no need to get your boxers in a twist

I wouldn't call Chuck or Cro Cop a farce, Chuck went out 1-5 against 4 champions. He was competing on the highest level. Cro Cop is still competitive in his fights but just his chin is gone. Farce should be reserved for the likes of Ken, Bob Sapp, John Ivey and much as it pains me to say it Jens Pulver may be becoming a farce. But I have faith he can get a few wins before he calls it a day.

Now stop stalking me

Oh right - so we both post in AH & MMA, and I'm stalking you? I've been posting here since I joined - I only post here & AH. Our paths managed to cross twice in the last week and your only explanation is that I'm "stalking" you? Do you know what a coincidence is? Kinda happens when people post on the same boards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement