Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 mile shot

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I was in work the other day at tea time I couldn't help but over hear this clown of a girl speaking oh My brother is this and that..

So today same thing again My brother has a rifle at home and he can shot over a mile while out hunting.

What I like to know can you buy a rifle strong enough and the bullet to fire at a Target at mile or over.. in a gun store in Ireland or unless her brother has a .50 or a ntw 20 200mm anti tank rifle I know both those guns can fire over 2 miles.

While once in the fca we trained in firing rifles at targets 350 yards away with the AUG.

or is this girl watching to many action movies coming from shotgun background I don't know much on rifles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Cork24 wrote: »
    I was in work the other day at tea time I couldn't help but over hear this clown of a girl speaking oh My brother is this and that..

So today same thing again My brother has a rifle at home and he can shot over a mile while out hunting.

What I like to know can you buy a rifle strong enough and the bullet to fire at a Target at mile or over.. in a gun store in Ireland or unless her brother has a .50 or a ntw 20 200mm anti tank rifle I know both those guns can fire over 2 miles.

While once in the fca we trained in firing rifles at targets 350 yards away with the AUG.

or is this girl watching to many action movies coming from shotgun background I don't know much on rifles

1200 Yards is the longest Range in the country 1200 yd = 1097.28 m

1 mile. = 1760 yd

@1200 yards the groups are widening and the speed is dropping from our fastest Civie rifles like 7mm WSM 6XC .308 6.5/.284 etc

So in real terms unless she meant a Km she is talking ring a ding ding

So in theory Yes it is Possible to hit something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

ill bite,
    A mile is 1760yrds/1609(and change)m so unless her brother is running a .50cal/.408cheytac/.338lapua at a push, I'd say the poor girls brother is filling her full of ****e, or she hasn't a ****in clue whats shes on about and shes talking ****e. Either way someones knee deep and shoveling it on good and thick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

What's the longest a bullet can travel without being accurate? Ie max range of any Irish legal bullet non restricted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Shane.sf wrote: »
    What's the longest a bullet can travel without being accurate? Ie max range of any Irish legal bullet non restricted

What size is the target, and how accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

in short yes it is possible to hit a target at a mile or more with most high power rifles. if you only want to put a hole in paper.

as for hunting i doubt it very much, most cals will run out of effective power at around 800y or maybe 1000y for a magnum. even though the bullet will travel a lot further if aimed high enough.

a .338 lapua might be stretched to do anything effectively but not ethically at that range.

all that said i would say either her brother is filling her full of muck or she just likes talking out her ass. your choice :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I missed by a mile ...once;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

it is probably the 1+1=3 combination of

"bullets can travel for a mile or more"

and

"my brother hunts"

added up to give us

"my brother must be able to shoot things a mile away because that's how far bullets go"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Just realised where the op was from, down that part of the country they do tend to exaggerate their abilities in certain areas :rolleyes:

:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

4gun wrote: »
    I missed by a mile ...once;)

LMAO :D. Thats priceless. :cool:

On another note yes you can hit a target at a mile. Without boring you (too late i know) with numbers. My rifle, using a .308 round, takes 27-28 MOA to hit 1000 yards. However the further out you go the quicker the bullet drops as its speed drops and gravity has more an effect on it. So this DOES NOT mean you could hit 2000 yards with 56 MOA. If i go from 1000 to 1200 i'll use an extra 14-16 MOA to hit my target.

So to go out to 1700 yards could take anywhere from 45 - 50 MORE MOA to get the distance. Thats 90+ moa. The bullet is now well into the subsonic range and slowing rapidly. Impact energy is less than 10% of what it was at the muzzle meaning a clean kill on an animal is almost impossible. For target work at this distance its hit and miss as any wind, even a breeze, will blow you off course.

So yes a bullet could travel that far. Accurately - depends on alot of factors some of which are not applicable to us (reloading, etc). As for animal shooting - not a hope. The bullet will take about 3.5-4 seconds to travel that far and the animal could/will move in that time.

I must stress that all the figures are for 1200 yard shooting carried out on a range with handloaded ammo which is much faster than factory ammo.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

As the lads alluded to, it's probably just a saying/misconception.

Anyone making such a shot would have to account for the Earth's rotation in order to be on a paper. Not to mention: temp, pressure, altitude, powder, blah, blah, blah.

Ask her if the brother was recently in Iraq. If she says yes, say no more!;)

• Advertisement

Next time you're near her ask her if her second name is Harrison and if her brother is called Craig.;) If it is then yeah i'd believe her/him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

finally youtube starts working again.

this guy could be the brother :D

Video is not working, and he doesn't hold the record. See my post above. Cpl Craig Harrison beat it by 49 yards.

We're drifting slightly into unwanted territory, and the OP has gotten an answer so i'll close it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement