Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterkenny Post - GAA CASH DRAIN headline

Options
  • 08-08-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Just sent email to Letterkenny Post on their GAA CASH DRAIN headline this week,

Good afternoon,

I am writing to complain about your lack of pride it seems in Donegal in preference for sensationalised stories and headlines.

I am referring to this weeks edition (8/5/11) where your headline reads “GAA CASH DRAIN”. Looking at the headline I got the impression there was a lack of funding for local GAA clubs or facilities and only on reading the article further did I realise you were complaining about the success that is currently being enjoyed by our boys in green and yellow.

Saying that money is being taken out of the local economy and being spent instead in Dublin is crazy, would you prefer if we crashed out in early stages instead? Would you prefer a stadium built in Donegal that would seat 80,000 so we could host games up here instead?

I mean can you seriously say that this is a bad thing for the local economy? How many times have you looked around in recent years and seen every house, car and tractor fling the Donegal flags. People who would prefer to watch an English soccer team than a local GAA team are now talking about the fitness of Murphy and the tactics of McGuinness. How many times have you seen pubs full to the rafters with fans cheering on the boys, (and even switching over from a Celtic game in some places!).

Instead you focus on a minor negative of money leaving the county. So I ask you get behind the county like everyone else. Support our team and when we lift Sam again we’ll have a party that hasn’t been seen since 92.

Dannie McHugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

danniemcq wrote: »

Good afternoon,

I am writing to complain about your lack of pride it seems in Donegal in preference for sensationalised stories and headlines.

I am referring to this weeks edition (8/5/11) where your headline reads “GAA CASH DRAIN”. Looking at the headline I got the impression there was a lack of funding for local GAA clubs or facilities and only on reading the article further did I realise you were complaining about the success that is currently being enjoyed by our boys in green and yellow.

Saying that money is being taken out of the local economy and being spent instead in Dublin is crazy, would you prefer if we crashed out in early stages instead? Would you prefer a stadium built in Donegal that would seat 80,000 so we could host games up here instead?

I mean can you seriously say that this is a bad thing for the local economy? How many times have you looked around in recent years and seen every house, car and tractor fling the Donegal flags. People who would prefer to watch an English soccer team than a local GAA team are now talking about the fitness of Murphy and the tactics of McGuinness. How many times have you seen pubs full to the rafters with fans cheering on the boys, (and even switching over from a Celtic game in some places!).

Instead you focus on a minor negative of money leaving the county. So I ask you get behind the county like everyone else. Support our team and when we lift Sam again we’ll have a party that hasn’t been seen since 92.

Dannie McHugh

Just read this article there now on Letterkenny Post website and it an absolutely disgraceful. Just as well its a free paper because noone would pay for that drivel. Some of the arguments made in it are stupid. As if every person who bought a ticket to Croke Park would otherwise go and spend it shopping in Donegal and as Dannie says it doesn't take account merchandise sales which anyone who looks around will notice are certainly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Fair play to you Dannie. This sort of lazy/stupid journalism needs to be highlighted.

Was anyone credited with writing the article? Is it available online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved a couple of the above posts to here as the topic deserves a thread of it's own.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Fair play to you Dannie. This sort of lazy/stupid journalism needs to be highlighted.

Was anyone credited with writing the article? Is it available online anywhere?
    If you click the link on this page you can view the paper:
    http://www.letterkennypost.com/digital-editions/

Then you can use the controls at the bottom of the screen to zoom in and switch to the next page to finish reading the article. The article was by a Chris Ashmore. I assume I can name him since the article is freely available on the web? Well he should be ashamed of himself writing such an article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

Ridiculous "story". To have it as the headline story says everything you need to know about the journalistic standards of this "paper". The success of the Donegal team is a good news story. If the writer of this story cannot grasp that, then they are most definitely in the wrong job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Glad i'm not the only one pissed off at stories like this, will let yous know if i get a reply from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

the cash that Donegal Daily Letterkenny Post are referring to, is very small buns compared to the €20 million that sailed out of the county via dodgy French ponzy scheme.. why don't they write more about that particular issue if they are concerned about cash leaving the county?

Mod edit (muffler): Post edited to reflect the name of the paper being the subject of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its a totally stupid article based on nothing but the authors opinion, it was obviously a very slow week news wise (although you would have thought that the Donegal win would have been a more apt heading) when a baseless opinionated story makes a headline.

The editor, Chris Ashmore, doesnt appear to have any problems with carrying a full page advertisement (page 15) for a 4 day shopping trip to Aberdeen. Talk about double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I imagine the local pubs are raking it in for every Donegal game too. The semi will be a huge event in the county.

• Advertisement

I've never seen the pubs in Rathmullen as full (for a GAA match) as i did last weekend, and i know we had the festival but thats mainly gigrigs and that, the pubs are usually quiet during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

A statement like that from Chris Ashmore would not be out of place on forum like this.

Ya just have to laugh!! Good man Dannie for taking a stand.

rightyabe wrote: »
    A statement like that from Chris Ashmore would not be out of place on forum like this.
    Im lost. What statement?

muffler wrote: »
    Im lost. What statement?

Ya know what I mean, what I meant to say was a "article"

Deepest apologies!!!

Some people love to moan!

rightyabe wrote: »
    Ya know what I mean, what I meant to say was a "article"

Deepest apologies!!!

Some people love to moan!
    You dont have to read or post here if you dont like the forum.

Oh and loose the attitude please (mod hat on)

You dont have to read or post here if you dont like the forum.

Oh and loose the attitude please (mod hat on)

Excuse me were did I say I dont like the forum?

Show me, Please show me. I really like the Donegal Forums.

Look I dont want to take it off topic and you could ban me with your "mod hat" but if you have nothing good to say dont say it.

Your reply to me was very negative and IMO off topic.

And I have no attitude to lose...

Back on topic everyone please :)

If anyone wants to get in contact with them too, this is the details from the contact us page

The Letterkenny Post
    River House
    Bonagee
    Letterkenny
    Co Donegal

Tel 074 911 2700

Email: Editorial: chris@letterkennypost.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

What a stupid article. If you want to highlight the cost of supporting the team, then fine. Maybe even get some of the players or the manager to acknowledge the sacrifice that fans are making to follow the team, then fine. But to try and make out that Dublin is gaining at Donegal's expense is Jim Corr material.

danniemcq wrote: »
    the exact same story is on the front page of the Letterkenny Post
    Really? :D

payback time ;)

• Advertisement

the cash that Donegal Daily Letterkenny Post are referring to, is very small buns compared to the €20 million that sailed out of the county via dodgy French ponzy scheme.. why don't they write more about that particular issue if they are concerned about cash leaving the county?

Was this story even in the Donegal Daily? :D

Mod comment (muffler): Please see post #8 (also quoted above) which now reflects the true situation. Thanks

Was this story even in the Donegal Daily? :D

I could have sworn I saw it in the Donegal Daily yesterday.. but I dont see the article there today, sorry, I must have dreamt it

I could have sworn I saw it in the Donegal Daily yesterday.. but I dont see the article there today, sorry, I must have dreamt it
    I could move this to the conspiracy theories forum ;)

I could move this to the conspiracy theories forum ;)

Donegal Daily must have pulled the story, thats what happened :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Although its not a "story" and its trying to put a downer on the excitement around the county, there is a lot of truth behind it. The money being spent by families travelling to Dublin may have been spent locally instead and big GAA games are a boost to Dublins economy.

The real story relates to the sacrifices that all GAA fans make in order to follow their county team when in reality, many of them just dont have the money to do so.

Although its not a "story" and its trying to put a downer on the excitement around the county, there is a lot of truth behind it. The money being spent by families travelling to Dublin may have been spent locally instead and big GAA games are a boost to Dublins economy.

The real story relates to the sacrifices that all GAA fans make in order to follow their county team when in reality, many of them just dont have the money to do so.
    Who are you....Chris Ashmore? :)

well in all fairness i don't have the money to go to dublin to watch the semis, or in fact money to travel and watch Liverpool but i found out a cheap way of supporting both...

I watch them on tv, i go to pubs where i meet mates and we have a few pints, and the fact i and several mates will be doing that on the 28th means that a pub here in letterkenny (not decided yet but i think i know where) will receive an extra couple hundred quid.

the article in the Letterkenny Post was just someone trying to be controversial and failing. Instead they just came over as a (insert your own word here don't wanna defame anyone)

Meaningful articles should quote facts. Anything that may happen is not a fact, as in this case money that may have been spent in the county.

Also, this article completely fails to take into account the money being spent in pubs, on merchandise etc which have increased (a fact).

This article cant be defended and is a very poor attempt at being controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Did you get a respone dannie?

• Advertisement

nope nothing, thinking about emailing a link to this thread... thoughts?

Advertisement