Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety of Portland Street Area

Options
  • 09-08-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    had a quick search regarding the Portland street area and there were a few comments about frequent anti-social behaviour. However this thread was 2 years old.

I am looking at an apartment just off of Portland Row and was wondering what people thought of the area at the moment? is it a reasonable safe area to walk through at night from the Connolly Station direction and has the area improved in the last few years?

any help appreciated!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you know the Five Lamps? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.... bumped your thread anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Been living in Summerhill nearby for the last year. It's safe enough that I've never had any trouble, even staggering home from town at all hours of the night at weekends. Just need to have your wits about you, like anywhere. I do find the incessant sight of people going around with cans, even first thing in the morning, and scumbags roaring shouting at each other across the streets to be a bit depressing though. I'm no snob but I went for a bag of chips the other day and the only other customer was nodding out on the counter. It gets me down a little.
    But if the price is right, sure go for it. You're only a short distance from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

..so in summary, it is not a nice area. You may not have any trouble, but that doesn't make it somewhere you want to live.

If you can find somewhere suitable in Drumcondra/Phibsborough/Glasnevin I would go with that. Worth the extra bit of a journey.

I have lived in Drumcondra for a few years, and I'm currently down the Ballybough end of Clonliffe Road, so I'm familiar enough with the areas running down Dorset St, down North Circular etc. Never had any trouble at all, but there are several areas around there I wouldn't live in.

FWIW, I don't think any area has improved in the last few years. Why would they? Less money everywhere you look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

bugler wrote: »

FWIW, I don't think any area has improved in the last few years. Why would they? Less money everywhere you look.

Well there are new apartment blocks, for example, around Summerhill and there appears to be plenty of foreigners living in them. The sight of lots of hot Brazilian girls on the street has improved the scenery round here no end....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

thanks guys for your help. a few people at work have advised to look elsewhere if possible. Also found out that there is a needle exchange around the corner so wouldn't be too keen on living nearby.

the apartments were lovely and very reasonable and there were three of them in the same small building but they werent all with the same letting agent so we thought that there might be a reason behind that!

have decided to look closer to the centre

thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement