Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How likely would a landlord be at reducing rent.

Options
  • 09-08-2011 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I am renting a 1 bedroom apartment in a small rural village for 520 a month. The apartment is in a celtic tiger complex so landlord is probably is in huge debt.

I have learned recently that my wage will be severely reduced and I really won't be able to continue to pay rent at the current price.

I don't have any options open to me because I need to stay in the locality for work because public transport is extremely poor.

I checked the locality for rentals and believe it or not, nothing available except for in these apartment blocks. The premises comprises of two blocks of apartments. One block of one beds and one block of two beds. As to how much of these are occupied I don't know. If some were empty I could possibly have a good chance of getting rent reduced.

Moving back home is of the last resort because I do not want to lose my independence nor do I want to pay rent and bills at home just for my mother to have no respect for me, or my privacy and treat me as if I was a teenager despite me contributing to the household.

I was having a look at daft.ie and checking out similiar rural villages in my county and rent for a 1 bed is approx 400 a month.

I was doing some canculations and I could manage 400 a month, 420 at the very most.

I was thinking about phoning up and handing in my notice and telling them due to new, finiancial circumstances of having a smaller wage I need to move back home, in hope that they offer me a reduction. I do realise if I dont I will need to follow through and move back home. At least I have this stick to shake.

Sorry for the long post. Also, anybody else successful at getting their rent reduced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I checked the locality for rentals and believe it or not, nothing available except for in these apartment blocks. The premises comprises of two blocks of apartments. One block of one beds and one block of two beds. As to how much of these are occupied I don't know. If some were empty I could possibly have a good chance of getting rent reduced.

If there are other properites in the development for rent, that may be a sign that there isn't enough demand for them and thus you might have a legitimate case for a rent reduction. Do properties that appear on Daft get rented out, or do they stay unrented for a long time?

Also, how many empty units are there in the development? Checking how many lights are on during a rainy week night is a good rough way of telling if you don't have more specific information.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I am renting a 1 bedroom apartment in a small rural village for 520 a month. The apartment is in a celtic tiger complex so landlord is probably is in huge debt.

You are paying far to much rent. I also live in a rural village and three to four bedroom houses are being rented for 350pm. Don't rely on on the property websites, ask around locally and you will be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I was in the same situation in January, small-ish town too, €500 p/m on a one-bed. A lot of the apartments in the same block were vacant so I rang around and asked the prices on them. They were now cheaper than mine by about 20%.

I just put this to the landlord (through the agency) and said that I want to renew the lease for another year if the rent is brought down to €400. He didn't hesitate in accepting the deal.

If you've been a good tenant and there are other flats similar to yours going for cheaper, you're in a strong position to bargain with him. He has a mortgage to pay so it's a lot better for him to have something coming in rather than the place lying empty. Don't wait for him to offer a reducation, ask for one yourself. If he's in any way reasonable and realistic he will accomodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I rent a 3 bed semi-d in a nice village for €480 per month.

You're being ripped off. Just tell him that you will probably be moving on when your lease is up, see what he says. If you are a good tenant he might take a hit to keep you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

My 1 year lease was up a couple of months back and I'm now in a part 4 tendency.

I definately need a reduction in rent but I do not want to commit myself to signing another lease for another year on the off chance things goes tits up on me. But having said that I would be willing to stay on if I was to get a reduction.

Not all that sure how many one beds are vacant if any at all but according to daft.ie there is a one bed available to rent if not more.
    Suppose its all down to supply and demand at the end of the day. A LL will charge what he wants if the market allows for it.

Edit: I really cannot bear to move back home. I love my freedom far too much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement