Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.30-06 users

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Longranger wrote: »
    Does this mean that instead of messing about with a restricted cert for a .338 federal,basically a fat .308 firing a 185 grain round at 2700 fps with 4200j of energy at the muzzle,or I can go out and,buy,unrestricted, a .30-378 weatherby magnum(still .30 calibre) firing a 180 grain round at 3400 fps with 6300 j of energy and not have any hassle? If that's the case then do the people that make the decisions have a feckin clue what they're doing? Methinks NOT!

Yup , thats the way i understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    And does that look like a remingtons 55gr accelerator round for .30-06 to you?
    I'll repeat the question to cut through to the nub of it - where in the Wildlife Acts do you see a ban on sabot ammunition for rifles?

I see a restriction on Sabots as when in a rifle cartridge or a shotgun cartridge they are still sabots.

I see no Ban in the Wildlife act on FMJ's either for the record

I only see black white and grey areas.
    I would only be too happy to take a 12g Pump or semi out stalking in some places where I have rough stalking.

I can not see the point of rifle sabots as a .30-06 will blow a hole in any Irish deer as big as your hand with Normal hunting rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I see a restriction on Sabots as when in a rifle cartridge or a shotgun cartridge they are still sabots.

I see no Ban in the Wildlife act on FMJ's either for the record

I only see black white and grey areas.
    I would only be too happy to take a 12g Pump or semi out stalking in some places where I have rough stalking.

I can not see the point of rifle sabots as a .30-06 will blow a hole in any Irish deer as big as your hand with Normal hunting rounds

The point is to turn your .30-06 into a foxing rifle by sending a 55gr .224 bullet downrange at c. 4000 fps. It's not a deer round.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Longranger wrote: »
    Does this mean that instead of messing about with a restricted cert for a .338 federal,basically a fat .308 firing a 185 grain round at 2700 fps with 4200j of energy at the muzzle,or I can go out and,buy,unrestricted, a .30-378 weatherby magnum(still .30 calibre) firing a 180 grain round at 3400 fps with 6300 j of energy and not have any hassle? If that's the case then do the people that make the decisions have a feckin clue what they're doing? Methinks NOT!

I think we need to cut them some slack in this specific case though LR, because the whole diameter/caliber thing isn't exactly intuitive and simple. The problem is that diameter is just a number, but caliber isn't - it's a name more than anything else. That's why .303 british is a larger diameter but a smaller caliber than .308 winchester and why .38 and .357 are different calibers but the same diameter.

Aren't the npws saying no to applications for deer hunting licences even for the .22-250 ? And likewise won't consider the .220 swift ? Even though it is technically legal. I have seen a licenced paradox gun so maybe someone is using slugs legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    Aren't the npws saying no to applications for deer hunting licences even for the .22-250 ? And likewise won't consider the .220 swift ? Even though it is technically legal.
    Odd, that - the IDS said they were perfectly happy to let the .22-250 continue to be used because they figured people would just move away from it naturally once the policy against fullbore rifles was rescinded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Tack, you're posting nonsense.
    Direct question, yes or no, have you ever seen anything in the wildlife acts or SIs which bans the use of sabot rifle ammunition?
    NO
    <mod snip>
    Mod note: Earlier posts on this point have been deleted or edited to prevent confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I think we need to cut them some slack in this specific case though LR, because the whole diameter/caliber thing isn't exactly intuitive and simple. The problem is that diameter is just a number, but caliber isn't - it's a name more than anything else. That's why .303 british is a larger diameter but a smaller caliber than .308 winchester and why .38 and .357 are different calibers but the same diameter.

I get what you mean Sparks but I do think that my head is going to explode;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

rowa wrote: »
    Aren't the npws saying no to applications for deer hunting licences even for the .22-250 ? And likewise won't consider the .220 swift ? Even though it is technically legal. I have seen a licenced paradox gun so maybe someone is using slugs legally.

Just got my 2011/12 deer license last week for a .22-250 with 60gr minimum bullet weight, so they are still allowing that calibre. Maybe they aren't accepting first time applicatoins for .22-250?

Just got my 2011/12 deer license last week for a .22-250 with 60gr minimum bullet weight, so they are still allowing that calibre. Maybe they aren't accepting first time applicatoins for .22-250?

You're probabily correct half cocked , i had heard of one person being told to get a .243 if he wanted a licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Is there many many factory rounds available for the .22-250 past 60gr?

Remmy wrote: »
    Is there many many factory rounds available for the .22-250 past 60gr?

I've never come across any. The heavier bullets aren't as accurate, so probably no market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I've never come across any. The heavier bullets aren't as accurate, so probably no market for them.

well then id say that you could get a custom barrel with a faster twist rate to solve that problem?

newby.204 wrote: »
    well then id say that you could get a custom barrel with a faster twist rate to solve that problem?

Probably. Apparently there are bullets out there up to 70gr.

Advertisement