Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Questions

• 09-08-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a previous conviction of drink driving and this has come up on my garda clearance. Will this affect my prospects of getting a job much? also will this stay on my record for garda vetting permenently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

It's hard to say whether it will affect your prospects or not. It probably depends on the views of whoever is looking through your application. When I was managing a creche a new employee admitted to having a drink driving conviction (she knew it would come up on her garda vetting). In this instance HR felt that it wasn't the type of conviction that would impact on her ability to do the job as well as anyone else so it wasn't an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Ring the Teaching Council and ask. You could also ring a large VEC and ask them for their perspective? Id imagine it's more cut and dry than a private sector job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

one of the main considerations would be when the conviction took place. that would be my consideration if I was interviewing you. it wouldn't come up prior to an interview so it shouldn't hinder you getting a foot in the door and meeting the principal / BOM in the first place. what i would advise then is to mention it at the end of the interview expressing complete remorse and stating how young and foolish you were at the time - how you have learnt from your ways etc and would endeavour the board to see beyond that blemish on your otherwise excemplary (my spelling is atrocious!) record and stupidity of your youth and focus on all the positive contributions you could bring to the school.

we all make mistakes in life and i'm sure they'll understand that.

Did you get to do your teaching HDip course with this conviction on your garda vetting? I know a university professor who was convicted of drink driving over the limit, he didn't lose his job, however when it comes for getting a job in the first place will depend on the attitudes of who's interviewing you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I had to be Garda vetted on entering my course (Primary teaching). At the time we were told that certain things wouldn't (or shouldn't at least) bare any significance if they showed up in the vetting. The main concern was anything that would bear a risk to children being in your care. A drink driving offence shouldn't come under that, but as has been said it'd depend on who you're dealing with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement