Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan issue

• 09-08-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys, please excuse me if this question has been posed before, i have noticed that the stock fan on my xbox 360 elite is making odd noises not at all as it used to sound, so i am preparing for a fan failure and want to know is there somewhere to purchase a new fan you could recommend or is there a better choice than the stock fan now available. I bought the machine over 2 years ago now. I have done some looking myself but i thought with this being the xbox forum i would get the correct pointers.
    many thanks in advance for any help,

apophis :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

May not be the fan itself, it could be that the fan is spinning faster to cool the GPU/CPU better due to dust build up or poor thermal transfer to the heatsinks this can easily be fixed with no replacement parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi justryan, i appreciate your reply, i have cleaned out the vents and do so on a regular basis but this is no dust problem its deffo a sound like a fan issue as there is no overheating yet, and if it does turn out to be the case i would like to have an idea where i can get a new fan stock fan or better if now available on short notice,
    many thanks again,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

hey man, I have a few spare offical fans, if you want yours replaced pm me and we can discuss it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

apophis wrote: »
    Hi justryan, i appreciate your reply, i have cleaned out the vents and do so on a regular basis but this is no dust problem its deffo a sound like a fan issue as there is no overheating yet, and if it does turn out to be the case i would like to have an idea where i can get a new fan stock fan or better if now available on short notice,
    many thanks again,

Is the fan spinning louder than normal or not at all?

Hi justryan, the fan is spinnig normally to my mind, but its not right sound wise i asked a mate who also has an xbox and he agrees with me, he thinks its only one of the fans but it amounts to the same thing really, a failure of one or both will require a replacement,
    many tanks again,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Simply hoovering out the vents isn't enough to keep your console clean. I've posted about this before, pretty sure it was here. I'll try and find it.

Basically, dust builds up on the fan and causes it to get louder and louder over time. If the dust still manages to stick to a spinning fan... your hoover doesn't stand a chance of working!

So, assuming your console is out of warranty, open it up and get cleaning with some cotton buds and alcohol (the alcohol is just to make the process more enjoyable ;)).

You'll be completely gob-smacked at the amount of dust built up inside the console, especially what comes off the fan blades. So, once it's all cleaned out, put it back together again and you'll have a noticably quieter console, trust me. Your fan is most likely perfectly fine.

Thanks TheMooseInNam, i will try your method of choice and if all else fails (excuse the pun) i can always source a new fan later.

Many thanks to all,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

apophis wrote: »
    Thanks TheMooseInNam, i will try your method of choice and if all else fails (excuse the pun) i can always source a new fan later.

Many thanks to all,

No prob, let me know how you get on with it. Just take your time when opening the case up. Watch a few YouTube videos that will show you exactly how to open it without breaking anything. Once you've done it once, you'll have it open, cleaned and back together in under half an hour. It's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my xbox has been sounding like this with about 2 years or more.

when i came home from college i decided to open it up since a hoover is no good and heres what i found inside it.

so just because its making loud noises dont mean it will die :D

Edit: the pics are too pic to put in the post so i attached them

Advertisement