Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door to door sky agents

• 09-08-2011 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Is the deal they can offer better than deals on sky's website? My mother recently signed up for a contract which seems to be cheaper than the website price.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The Guys calling Door to Door dont work for Sky they work for sales companies and are on commission. A lot of these Guys are resubscribing Sky customers as New customers which is Illegal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68791434

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59010070

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

My girlfriend work in this job for the first 3 month when she came to Ireland.

She came home most evening in tears. She said most of the people that open the door were very nice. And the other one just closed the door.
    The problem was with the team she was working with. She had no basic wage and was working on the sales that she made.
    She was working with 3 Irish guys so they go to an estate and they send her around with one of the guys, and every time she got a sale one of there would d try to steal it off her. There scum.
    Its funny she saw them coming to our door one day and got very excited. She waited till they knocked and then answer and abused them for about 10 mins.
    I have never seen her rise her voice before of after that afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There are some decent agents who know their stuff but on the other hand there's a lot of spoofers who are only out to make a quick buck and will do and say anything to make a sale-I've heard some horror stories from people who've ended up with two bills from Sky after believing an agent was giving them a great deal on an upgrade only to sign them up again as a new customer.If they were carrying out this practice at the very least they could've had the decency to tell the customer what they were doing and that the old account needed to be cancelled.Although as Scaller said this is deemed as fraud by Sky.

As a rule of thumb-if the agent is forthright with information and willing to leave contact details etc. then they are usually reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

I did a training day with one of these companies and packed it in after that. The training involved the 8 steps to success crap, but after that the focus was on how to almost dis-empower the potential client and make that sale!! It was all very disingenuous and should really be regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Two girls called at the door about a fortnight ago, wearing the Sky jackets etc. They were offering a new dish (the existing one is 9 years old - "that's about their normal lifespan"), new Sky + HD box, new Sky SD box + 1 year multiroom subscription free, with an installation charge of €99. Took their number and said I'd think about it - good offer but am never one to sign up on the doorstep.

Thanks to the wonder of our 19th century electricity distribution network, we had a power dip yesterday and the hard drive in our Sky + was nerfed (when you power it up it just clicks repeatedly). Given that its an IDE drive, I reckon my chances of replacing are slim and I'm not sure there's any point (bought it about 3 years ago, 2nd hand, have replaced one drive already).

Called the same agent and she told me that she now has a better offer for me: new dish, new Sky+ HD box, new Sky SD box, 1 year multiroom subscription + installation for €75, if I sign up to Sky HD for €10 per month - and "Sky HD will be going free in a couple of months anyway, so it'll only cost you €20 or €30 for HD".

The first offer sounded almost too good to be true, the second one - with this mythical free HD offer that doesn't seem to have surfaced on Boards yet - takes the biscuit. To be honest it does sound too good to be true and probably like they're falsely signing me up as a new customer, especially since she advised me to cancel my subscription while I'm waiting for installation. Don't want any part of that malarky.

And whichever one I would sign up for, I'd have to wait about 3 weeks for my cards before I could then contact an installer to arrange installation. Not much good when you're watching a bare wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

I have to say that I can't stand people calling to my door selling stuff. :mad:

Its bad enough that in our homes, we are constantly bombarded with adverts in TV/Radio, Newspapers/Magazines, junk mail etc., but to physically call to people homes I believe if an invasion of privacy and a nuance and should be illegal. :cool:

weehamster wrote: »
    I have to say that I can't stand people calling to my door selling stuff. :mad:

Its bad enough that in our homes, we are constantly bombarded with adverts in TV/Radio, Newspapers/Magazines, junk mail etc., but to physically call to people homes I believe if an invasion of privacy and a nuance and should be illegal. :cool:

It's just a sign of the times,people can be lazy and companies have to go to them instead of the other way around.Even one of my local butchers has resorted to door to door sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

zerks wrote: »
    It's just a sign of the times,people can be lazy and companies have to go to them instead of the other way around.Even one of my local butchers has resorted to door to door sales.

Maybe people aren't lazy, perhaps they don't want the product in the first place! People calling to your door are a pain in the ass and considering most people are too polite to to tell them to F''' off they linger around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

One of these guys swore to me that freeview from UK will be stopping and we couldnt pick it up in Ireland bla bla..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

One of these guys swore to me that freeview from UK will be stopping and we couldnt pick it up in Ireland bla bla..

I must have heard all the stories. Digital switch over is coming so you will only be able to get RTE through a Sky box was the constant lie I have heard on a regular basis from friends and family.

They have never ever called into me. I am so saddened by this. :( Really. Maybe they will call soon. I'll invite them in for a cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

Thank God, i have high walls and big gates around my house , so i dont get bothered by these 'door to door sales people' , and if any of them are brave/ stupid enough to chance coming over the wall, my two doggies will show them the way out

STB wrote: »
    I must have heard all the stories. Digital switch over is coming so you will only be able to get RTE through a Sky box was the constant lie I have heard on a regular basis from friends and family.

They have never ever called into me. I am so saddened by this. :( Really. Maybe they will call soon. I'll invite them in for a cuppa.

Report the rogue sellers to Sky,they take a dim view of agents mis-selling as it tarnishes Sky's name.
    Sky are running official training days nationwide but it seems some guy's are ignoring them or not sending their staff to be properly trained.Anyone with an ASA can simply employ a few people to door knock and sit back and make the money off them.
    A lot of people hired to do sales aren't being paid the correct rates and are under extreme pressure to make sales.
    Heard of one guy who worked for his mate and was being paid a pittance but wouldn't make an issue of it 'cos he didn't want to fall out with him.

The worst are the guys calling wanting you to set up a direct debit to donate to charity-who pays those agents?????

Advertisement