Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cases

Options
  • 09-08-2011 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, where is the best Bricks and Mortar shop or online to get a good case.

I need an ATX one, but just looking for something cheap :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭weisses

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

This is the case you want, €32 shipped and a great budget case. You won't beat it:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xigmatek-CPC-T45UB-U01-Xigamatek-Asgard-Chassis/dp/B002T3D71U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312884550&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've used the asgard for a build before. Wasn't overly impressed by the tooless design, the standoff holes weren't threaded properly and were a problem but worst of all the pci gates had to be muscled out of the case with pliers and wire cutters. Was an absolute nightmare and make sure you do this before putting in the motherboard because it becomes very easy to break with jarred metal bending and twisting. I left the board in because it would have been the 3rd time screwing it in and I was fed up by then.

All that said, I'd probably buy the case again on a tight budget because it probably is the best in its price, and damn cheap Tbf.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've used the asgard for a build before. Wasn't overly impressed by the tooless design, the standoff holes weren't threaded properly and were a problem but worst of all the pci gates had to be muscled out of the case with pliers and wire cutters. Was an absolute nightmare and make sure you do this before putting in the motherboard because it becomes very easy to break with jarred metal bending and twisting. I left the board in because it would have been the 3rd time screwing it in and I was fed up by then.

All that said, I'd probably buy the case again on a tight budget because it probably is the best in its price, and damn cheap Tbf.

Ouch, sounds like you had some bad luck :( I've never had a problem with the Tooless features or the standoffs. I do agree that the PCI slots could be done a bit better, but I've never had to use pliers on them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Any brick & Mortar shops around Dublin / Kildare, or am I wasting my time offline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Peats sell cases. Don't forget to bring your platinum card.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?id=539&type=subcat

I was thinking that I don't remember that trouble with mine but realised I didn't use a PCI card! The only problem I had was the front fan being a bit noisy. Still, I think it's very good for €30. It's better than most in the range - extra money on what's in the case is better than some short term trouble.

deconduo wrote: »
    Ouch, sounds like you had some bad luck :( I've never had a problem with the Tooless features or the standoffs. I do agree that the PCI slots could be done a bit better, but I've never had to use pliers on them :eek:
    they kinda forgot to "cut" the metal inserts out properly so i had to do it myself.

the tooless design was flawed because they dont supply extra plasticy clips for the far side, so to secure a HDD or something you had to remove one of the clips from the near side. and was then down a whole HDD bay (well you could still use screws but that defeats the point) if you know what i mean? its hard to explain in writing.

also, the 2.5" floppy bay (where i put a card reader) has no access holes to secure on the far side (blocked by the HDD tray), so the card reader was able to move a little bit on the right corner when inserting memory cards. that was pretty unacceptable for me, and very unacceptable because the rig was for a "customer"

fair enough almost no-one uses a 2.5" bay anymore (my corsair 600t doesnt even have one, an oversight on my behalf because ive a 2.5" USB3 front header for my motherboard that i cant use now :()

Still though Tallon, dont let this put you off. im sure i got unlucky with the case with its quality, most people dont have 7 HDD's they want to be secured with tooless design and no-one uses a 2.5" bay anyway. Id buy it again for another budget build if i was going to spend under €40 on a case.

they kinda forgot to "cut" the metal inserts out properly so i had to do it myself.

the tooless design was flawed because they dont supply extra plasticy clips for the far side, so to secure a HDD or something you had to remove one of the clips from the near side. and was then down a whole HDD bay (well you could still use screws but that defeats the point) if you know what i mean? its hard to explain in writing.

also, the 2.5" floppy bay (where i put a card reader) has no access holes to secure on the far side (blocked by the HDD tray), so the card reader was able to move a little bit on the right corner when inserting memory cards. that was pretty unacceptable for me, and very unacceptable because the rig was for a "customer"

fair enough almost no-one uses a 2.5" bay anymore (my corsair 600t doesnt even have one, an oversight on my behalf because ive a 2.5" USB3 front header for my motherboard that i cant use now :()

Still though Tallon, dont let this put you off. im sure i got unlucky with the case with its quality, most people dont have 7 HDD's they want to be secured with tooless design and no-one uses a 2.5" bay anyway. Id buy it again for another budget build if i was going to spend under €40 on a case.

Ahh yeah, I always take the spare clips from unused bays and never thought twice about it. I don't know what problem you had with the cardreader slot though? I've built a few with card readers and never had a problem with anything blocking it so I'm kinda confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try here http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

Based on the Malahide road, I've used them loads and find them good

21/25

• Advertisement

Thanks man, about an hour too late :)

I said feck it, and bought this today....

antec_600_review_casemodblog.com1.jpg

Now all I need is a 1155 compatible Fan, which I cannot find anywhere :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tallon wrote: »
    Thanks man, about an hour too late :)

I said feck it, and bought this today....

Now all I need is a 1155 compatible Fan, which I cannot find anywhere :(

as in a cooler? i've a 1155 stock cooler i'm not using which i get posted to you if you want

NTMK wrote: »
    as in a cooler? i've a 1155 stock cooler i'm not using which i get posted to you if you want
    Yeah cooler, that would be awesome man. Send me on your details and I'll sort you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

1156 fans are compatible.

Monotype wrote: »
    1156 fans are compatible.
    You sure? I seen a few today, but didn't get them because I was told they wouldn't :(

Tallon wrote: »
    You sure? I seen a few today, but didn't get them because I was told they wouldn't :(
    yup. exact same mounting holes and brackets. about the first and only thing intel has ever done towards backwards comparability :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm happy, and sad/angry at the same time :p

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Advertisement