Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus S wifi hotspot

Options
  • 09-08-2011 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Hope this is in the right section. Im having a strange problem.
    I have in my hand a nexus s with a 1G data limit.
    I also have a USB modem with another SIM.

I have CCTV on my house accessible over the web.

When im connected on the USB modem i can connect to the CCTV no problems.
    When i use my nexus s as a hotspot it will not connect to the CCTV.

It will connect to the website and i get the password window but it will not stream video for me.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Android hotspot = adhoc mode. Won't work for all gear, including some other android devices (some will work tho).

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82

Non-technical explanation: It's not a proper wifi network it creates.

You aren't giving full explanation tho. What are you connecting to your hotspot? A laptop? An android tablet? Windows can connect to adhoc fine, but some android tablets can't. What are you actually browsing the web with? Can't you just use the nexus S web browser?

edit: You can connect to the website? Ok I have no idea now... please explain properly what your setup is. Are you actually inside your house, but trying to access your home wifi by 3g?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hi

I'm connecting a windows 7 laptop ( have also tried windows 7 netbook).
    Im using chrome to browse the web to the web address of my dvr. It connects to the web address fine. Loads the page and requests to login. When i enter the login it tells me no stream is available.

Ok that's wierd. Windows laptops work fine with android hotspot for me. Do youtube and various other websites work ok?

Are you with vodafone? They like to proxy the connection and give you mobile version of youtube whether you like it or not (in UK anyway).

Yes im with vodafone....youtube works fine on it...as does video streaming from sky news and bbc( was watching the riots last night) its just my dvr connection thats the issue

Ok no idea so :D Make sure Nexus S is updated to latest version etc.

edit: Is the other sim not with vodafone? If so then maybe vodafones proxy is breaking something. It causes me grief with youtube in uk sometimes.

• Advertisement

ill try another sim....this is very confusing...i can even vnc into a pc behind my fixed IP and access the cctv that way with no issues....stupid bloddy vodafone..

Advertisement