Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connell St Incident

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If you go around onto Denmark Street, and somehow get in through the arched gate across from Flannerys and go to the end of the alley there is a fire escape entrance with no door. If you go in this door you can walk to the top of the building but cannot access any of the doors because they are heavily barricaded. Now, if you had the time and the inclination you could spend time breaking in because there would be nobody in any of the adjoining buildings to hear you.

It so little used, the stairs, that there are old Eircell things lying around in there.

When missus was running Baratts they also went out into the Alley so I went "exploring". :D

Ill admit it...i always pegged you as the type that could be found hiding down a dark alley...unloading contraband beer for a shady pickup truck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

CiaranMT wrote: »
    And the report says that they were in the shop waiting for him? Very strange...

+1

Two scumbags get up bright and early, break into a mainstreet shop, lie and wait for a worker to arrive, tie him up and beat him and don't take anything.

Surely if they wanted to rob the place they would have had it done already before he got there?

Even with a timelock / safe if they have already gone to the bother of lying in wait for one worker would they not have just waited for the next worker to open the safe if the first worker couldn't open it?

Doesn't the manager usually open up these shops - surely he would have acccess to the timelock / safe if there was one?

I just don't get it.

I do hope the employee is ok though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    +1

Two scumbags get up bright and early, break into a mainstreet shop, lie and wait for a worker to arrive, tie him up and beat him and don't take anything.

Surely if they wanted to rob the place they would have had it done already before he got there?

Even with a timelock / safe if they have already gone to the bother of lying in wait for one worker would they not have just waited for the next worker to open the safe if the first worker couldn't open it?

Doesn't the manager usually open up these shops - surely he would have acccess to the timelock / safe if there was one?

I just don't get it.

I do hope the employee is ok though.

If the safe had a timelock, then it would not matter who was there, it still could not be opened until it reached the time it was set to open that day. That's the point of them, they stay locked until the set time period passes.

The scum could have gotten in, and wanted the worker to open the safe and when he could not (presuming that it was a time locked safe or the staff member had no access to the safe if it was not time locked), he got beaten up.

Not unusual for a manager to get a part timer to open a shop to be honest. All the staff member probably had was keys to open and the code for the alarm. Whoever was coming in next staff wise was probably the person with the authority to go near the cash etc and the part timer may have been meant to hand over the keys at that point.

Could also be a case of management getting a part timer to do the opening with the management coming in later that day, and the scum were used to the management arriving at that time and the part timer was unlucky to be opening for the management that morning.

Hell for all we know the worker could have bluffed them and said he set off the silent alarm or a garda car could have driven by the shop unawares as to what was happening and it spooked the scum into leaving.

There are literally dozens of scenarios as to why nothing was taken that would have no dodgy meanings on the side of the worker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If you go around onto Denmark Street, and somehow get in through the arched gate across from Flannerys and go to the end of the alley there is a fire escape entrance with no door. If you go in this door you can walk to the top of the building but cannot access any of the doors because they are heavily barricaded. Now, if you had the time and the inclination you could spend time breaking in because there would be nobody in any of the adjoining buildings to hear you.

It so little used, the stairs, that there are old Eircell things lying around in there.

When missus was running Baratts they also went out into the Alley so I went "exploring". :D

This post just reminded me of the scene in The Simpsons with Rex Banner looking over the town of Springfield and saying to himself "I'll get you, Beer Baron", to which Homer replies, from way off in the distance "No you won't!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Kess73 wrote: »

There are literally dozens of scenarios as to why nothing was taken that would have no dodgy meanings on the side of the worker.

I'm sure you are probably right, there could be lots of reasons why nothing was taken.

I'm just very surprised by it all.

Maybe I'm just too suspicious... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

You'd have thought they'd have robbed a few smart phones at least. Very strange indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

vkid wrote: »
    a few cops walking around would be a good start too..a sight that is rare enough in Limerick during the day imo

I've worked on Cruises St for a year and before that William St for two years(50 yards or so from Debenhams) and the only time I've ever seen cops around is in the two weeks before christmas or when we call them. Fair play to the security guards on cruises st though, the lads work together as a team even though the each have their own shop to look out for.

Advertisement