Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet vs Eircom

• 09-08-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭

I've done a bit of searching on the board, most of it seems UPC focused but sadly they don't do broadban in my area. So its comes down to Eircom vs Broadband.

Eircom:
    8MB, €44.99 for the first 6 months, 51.78 after that, which includes line rental, years contract. Allegedly uncongested. Line activation is free, and broadband activation is free. According to Eircom, the line can handle 10MB, which makes the next option up (24MB line) a bit pointless for the cash.

Line rental on it's own costs €25.36.

Magnet:
    24MB, €45.00, years contract. Allegedly includes line rental, with no fair usage policy attached to their unlimited contract (I quizzed them on that, they say they have one, but that they never invoke it - should I be wary?). Telsey wireless router (no massive problems from my research there). Line activation is free, and I just have to deal with Magnet as they handle line rental as included.

Magnet basically said they might be able to top the 10MB test that Eircom did, but can't check since my line isn't activated. Since they use ADSL2, they claim it'll be faster than what Eircom can provide regardless, just depends on how far I'm from the line centre. (The phone line hub is in Dolphin's Barn and I'm on Emmet Road, Inchicore).

Since it's cheaper via Magnet, I'm leaning towards them. Is there something I'm missing out on, some catch, or something I'm forgetting to check?

Does anyone have any experience with Magnet, what their speeds/service is like, customer support, etc?

Any help/advice/thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I've done a bit of searching on the board, most of it seems UPC focused but sadly they don't do broadban in my area. So its comes down to Eircom vs Broadband.

Since it's cheaper via Magnet, I'm leaning towards them. Is there something I'm missing out on, some catch, or something I'm forgetting to check?

Does anyone have any experience with Magnet, what their speeds/service is like, customer support, etc?

Any help/advice/thoughts appreciated.

I've been with Magnet for the past year - had no problems except I was paying for 24MB but only really received 13-15 MBs
    It was via the telephone line so probably not their fault.

I am moving though to UPC as they now offer the triple play in my area - for €60 whereas Magnet cost me €55 for broadband and telephone, no television service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Go with Magnet, it's cheaper for the same thing. If eircom are able to offer you 10Mbp, then you are on an ADSL2+ exchange. This is the same as Magnet, so I don't imagine Magnet will be able to top eircom's speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

magnet can only provide whatever the line can sustain. line length, line quality and whether exchange is ngb enabled will decide what speed you can get. as for usage policy, if its in the contract it most definately applies. think a bit of we'll give you what you want, just come with us is goin on here. false promises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

hi D'peoples voice

quote "I've been with Magnet for the past year - had no problems except I was paying for 24MB but only really received 13-15 MBs
    It was via the telephone line so probably not their fault."

no offence mate but id be thinking it was their fault that they were charging you for 24mbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Don't magnet reduce the price if they can't offer the full speed?
    So if you get 15mbs you shouldn't be charged for 24mb

• Advertisement
Advertisement