Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part-time contract?

• 09-08-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was lecturing part-time in an institute of technology last semester. I applied for an assistant position which came up over the summer but didn't get it. I also asked if there would be any available hours this year but they didn't know at that stage. This morning, I received a contract in the post from the HR manager asking for my signature for casual part-time lecturer and for an up-to-date CV. It doesn't actually say anything about offering me hours though.
    What is this about? Is it just in case some hours do come up that they have a contract already set out? I didn't sign something like this last semester.

Thanks for any help......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll probably have to ring the HR manager and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

You'll probably have to ring the HR manager and ask.

I sent an email a few hours ago but haven't heard anything. I'll ring tomorrow if I don't hear back. It's all very strange.......

HR got back to me this morning. They said that they are just getting ahead of time and sending out the contracts early. If (and it's a big if) I get offered hours then the contract will officially kick in. Great way to play with people's hopes just to save themselves a little hassle in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I got offered a part time lecturing gig at a large Inst Tech following an interview last summer..was told at the interview that I was perfect for th e position and that once they completed courses schedules etc in a week or so they'd be in touch..

Never heard from them again....despite emails and phone messages left..... very disrespectful :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Schedules are probably not created yet, therefore they cannot give part-time lecturers their hours.

If you are teaching evening classes, ITs tend to only give evening staff their hours once they know student numbers, which won't be for a week or so yet.

When I was working in one IT a few years back, I was told in June that they didn't know if there would be any hours for me in September, so the best advice they could give was to go and look for another job. Two days after I was offered another job back in industry, HR called me back "delighted" to tell me that they had hours for me in September after all.

These are some of the reasons I am lecturing abroad right now.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Schedules are probably not created yet, therefore they cannot give part-time lecturers their hours.

As far as I know orientation week for 1st years is next week, and then week 1 starts the Monday after. Surely they would have timetables done by now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Sorry I should have said .. this was summer 2010 not this year...never heard anything :(

omen80 wrote: »
    Surely they would have timetables done by now?

You'd think, wouldn't you? :)

Well maybe there's still time yet to get a call from them. Not counting on it though!

omen80 wrote: »
    Not counting on it though!

Yeah, I think this is the right attitude. It is a terrible way to treat staff.

• Advertisement

I saw the timetables up today with lecturers assigned to classes. My name wasn't there so I guess that's it! Do you know if they keep you on file in case something comes up for next semester?

Advertisement