Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast of France?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Anyone ever travel down the west coast of France for a surf holiday? Thinking of heading early Aug in the camper for 10 days.

Looking for safe surf spots (I'm still a beginner really -don't want to surf where there is no one else surfing) and free camping...That's really all I want out of the trip...

Getting the ferry to North of France (not sure on the logistics of it yet. Only starting to map out my plans)

Any tips on towns, beaches and money saving or any interesting info would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

La Torche is a great spot for beginners. It's near a little town called Plomeur. It has a camper van park and plenty of campsites nearby. There is a surf shop (board rental and lessons, also kite surfing and blo-carting) and two restaurants and nothing else for miles except megalithic monuments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

I'd highly recommend La Torche too - small days are perfect for someone who can surf (make most takeoffs and trim along on the open face of the wave). Lovely consistent peak at the south that gets super crowded - the surf school holds lessons a bit further down the beach where the peaks are equally good but without the convenience of the rip to get out back. Nothing to do there, but if surf is the priority and you're up for some quiet camping it's a good place to head to. Saying that, i've never been there in August (which is silly season in France if l'Aquitaine is anything to go by) and so the place could be jointed with other campers.

Further south in Vendee, south of Nantes you've got some a good stretch of beginner friendly beaches (once again probably packed with families of French holidaymakers) - get a map and look at the region south of St Gilles de Vie(?) and les Sables d'Olonne. Seemed to be a bit more bustle and life around there than further north; once again, comes down to what you're looking for.

Other tips - speak french as much as possible, surf early in the morning before it gets busy, fill up the van with as much wine as possible on the way back. If you're planning on heading further south (towards Biarritz/Hossegor) let us know.

Happy travels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I am on the La Torche wagon too all the way baby.

La Torche is to the right of a promentory. Left of it is a sheltered little bay that works really well when/if the main beach is blown out. Was there a few years ago in 5/6ft faces when the main beach was blown out and the horizon was a rollercoaster of waves.

Happy surfing.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gralus

Thanks guys...

Actually meant to say early October/late September is when I'm going.

Good to hear about La Touché....
    I was initially planning on hauling ass down to the Bordeaux area first and then working down the coast day by day to Biarritz and maybe across the border...but La Touché, being close to the ferry port seems like a great start...

Bringing my 7’2 mini-mal with me and loads of rice and beans...Will definitely stock up on the wine...Will also do my best in speaking the language although I will probably sound like I'm taking the piss out of them (attempting to speak French involves me putting on a ridiculous ascent)

I'm all about the scenery so the more surf spots with epic surroundings will be heaven for me!!!

I heard I have to stay off the motorways (which is grand) to avoid the crazy tolls.

Would there be enough surf spots and scenery around la Touché to keep me going for ten days or would I be better off heading straight down to Biarritz/Catalan (warmer weather in Oct) area?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gralus

Sorry again....La Touche = La Torche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

La Torche water temp is cold as fook, even in the summer. I find it much chillier than Ireland but it doesn't bother me. Place gets lots of wind too and when it rains there the place is miserable. Scenery wise its nothing spectacular. Quaint stone houses, lighthouses, fishing villages
    I'd definitely head south in October if I didn't mind the extra drive and if it made a difference to the air temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Roll off in Roscoff and head South straight away. Two decent days driving will easily get ya to Biaritz and take your time coming back.

To hell with rice & beans, you're in France for feck's sake. Loads of great & affordable food at hand, either in the local Shopee, bakery, restaurant or open markets.

Brittany / La Torche ain't cold! Although the SoF is much warmer, more Mediterranean like climate.
    Enough spots here to keep it interesting, IF there is surf! If there is not regular decent swell rolling then like anywhere else in such conditions you'll feel like moving on.

There is an offshore wind which picks up 'round 11am so get in early each morning.
    Bring an MTB if possible as there are many great coastal walking trails which is also handy for finding new spots.

Many of the wine merchants at the Ferry ports have websites detailing the wines etc available so look into it before going.
    Give these details to your family members, mates etc and take a few orders.
    Cram the van to the gills coming back, last time I was over was 2008 and I'm finally down to my last 3 bottles of vine. Half pays for the trip.

Advertisement