Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cow not cleaned properly

• 09-08-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

i had a cow (2nd calver) calve last thursday.
    she calved on her own with no problem, i was able to watch he calf from the yard and all went well.

only thing is that she has not dropped all the cleaning yet!

she is perfectly fine other wise and the calf thriving well.

should i get the vet to take a look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ye, 3 days would be the max i would leave her , especially at this time of year when the heat can cause an infection easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

i am right in saying that the vet is the right man for the job?

have you done it yourself before? at this stage she most likely needs a course of antibiotics aswell, i would do my own cows myself after 3 days , just handle them and give them a few pessaries etc... if you have never done it before would be no harm to get the vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

may sound strange but if you feed her ivy she will clean thats what my father always done and it works

I call the vet to her yesterday evening, he was out within the hour and cleaned her out and gave her enough injections for 3 days.
    glad i did now as it was begining to smell. she was not behaving just the same as ever but i would hate if anything happened her as she is a lovely cow and her calf is by bow mount storm.

Ivy - did not know it would help, i often give it to a sick sheep and there is definitly something in it that helps them.

anyone know why a cow would keep not clean as normal?
    calving was normal.

• Advertisement

was she getting pre calving minerals? might be no harm to give her a shot of estrumate in a few weeks just to make sure she is fully cleaned out etc

no she was not getting pre-calving minerals,
    point to note for the rest of them.
    i usually do have a bucket with them and it stands to reason why i very rarely have this problem.

thanks whelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Careful now, wouldn't want to go around quoting something that's not in a medical book:D
    Ivy does have a powerpackage of vitamins and minerals, our own vet often advises it if an animal is eating lightly. I gave it to that bull that had pneumonia and he cleared up a treat. Hope the cow gets better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Agree with givng them Ivy, that's why cows go mad for it. In fact if cows had a free roam, you'd be amazed the variety of schrubs, flowers they'd eat. Modern farming, with 100% grass and electric fencing stops them getting that balanced diet.

We had a rough price of land that we used to graze before the building boom got to it. You wouldnt believe the shine it brought out on the cattle's hair. It was like they were on meal.

Advertisement