Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine Science Degree

Options
  • 09-08-2011 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the BSc in Equine Science in UL. On paper, it certainly looks great, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience of the course, or knows anyone who does.

The modules look great, and the work experience is a great idea. I don't doubt I would learn a lot, my main concern is whether it's worth doing from an employment point of view.

I don't want to pay over €40,000 and waste four years of my life if I am going to end up in the same job I could have done with British Horse Society qualifications, which cost a helluva lot less.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭XxAshlingxX

Hey JennaJameson,

Ive also applied for the course in limerick as ive heard from liveary owners at my yard that it is ment to be a very good course with lot more employment oppertunties than just having the BHS, some of the owners have found employment in companys such as feed or supplments as well as in Equine Hospitals.

Hope that kinda helps and good luck with what ever you decide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I don't think that any degree is a waste of time as it will provide you with a huge grounding and important skills which you can transfer to almost any discipline. However, I know where you're coming from re. the cost side of things.

Do you know any yards you could contact and have a chat with them and their views re. the BSc v. a BHS qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Horseylady

hey i did the course down in gurteen bt was gona do de course in UL.. it depends on wat u want 2 do? if u want to work on a yard- management or teaching or schooling then the BHS would be a much better way to go..if its de sciences dat you like den do the course in UL..a lot of people whom i have met over the years did dis course nd ended up in labs and workin as reps for companies like feed companies..they were not pidgeon holed into these positions its jus the lack of hands on experience in their college years that held them from doin the yard work de same way that people who had been educated in ag colleges such as gurteen or kildalton tend to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

See, I was going to do the BHS exams anyway, mainly to fund my way through the UL course. I was also going to do the HSI coaching courses.

I'm interested in science, but I don't know how happy I would be working in a lab all the time.

I could find I love it if I start in UL, but right now this minute, I want to work hands-on with horses, probably as a yard manager or something of that level before going into business for myself, but that's a dream really.

I've no yards to talk to right now, and no friends with any horsey experience, and of course no careers guidance counsellor, as I'm not in school, so I'm really trying to figure it all out on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've applied for the same thing in UL, and got it which was a shock.

Since I only found out on Monday, I don't know what's on the course but in Orientation, part of it is going out to an equestrian centre. After that, I don't know but I know a few people who have gotten great jobs at the end of it, mostly in nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I was in the position the OP is in many years ago (the UL course was relatively new at the time) and decided against the course, opting for a more practical orientated one instead.
    I've since taught a girl who was doing the UL course, but she came to us for private lessons to supplement it as she didn't feel she was getting very much practical experience or riding through the course.
    She did say that if you were into the science end of things it was fab, and that the science was where the money is (an important consideration in this day and age!).
    So I suppose it depends on where you want to end up in 10 years time, although I ended up totally out of horses and back in college, so you never really know!
    hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

Horseylady wrote: »
    if u want to work on a yard- management or teaching or schooling then the BHS would be a much better way to go..if its de sciences dat you like den do the course in UL..a lot of people whom i have met over the years did dis course nd ended up in labs and workin as reps for companies like feed companies..they were not pidgeon holed into these positions its jus the lack of hands on experience in their college years that held them from doin the yard work de same way that people who had been educated in ag colleges such as gurteen or kildalton tend to do..

completely agree with this! I have worked in a couple of yards and from that experience i've learned that some yard owners would rather emply a graduate of gurteen/enniskillen/kildalton than an equine science graduate as a yard worker/rider/yard manager as they have much more hands on experience

But if its money your looking for the Equine Science is better. The co-op (work experience) you do through UL gives you the opportunity to work in kentucky/australia/japan and all the happening horsey places in the world. This is a major advantage if you want to end up working as part of a huge enterprise (coolmore or the likes) as part of the management team (not on the yard ie no contact with the horses)

But if you just wanted practical experience to have enough knowledge to run a small successful yard of your own the ag colleges are better or working for a well known, reputable trainer/rider is a very good option too.

If breeding is your preferred route check out the course run by The Irish National Stud -that course is very reputable internationally.

best of luck whatever you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I worked at the stables where UL ran their prac work (theory, riding etc), and a friend of mine did the course. From what I can see, it's very detailed, and it seems to be a very good course, the instructors are fantastic, and the horses at the stables are crackers, you'll get a great variation in terms of practical and riding, from the facilities the stables have and the experience of the lecturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I did the course at Enniskillen and its very good, very practical based if thats what you are looking for. I didnt do the Degree, just the HND, but you have the option of doing the top up after if you want.

I have heard that Limerick isnt that practically based so not much hands on, but thats only what ive heard.

Im currently employed by one of the top stud farms in Ireland and have been here since i left college in 2002. I got work experience/emplyoment in Kildangan on my gap year of my course and it stood to me when i went for the interview in my current job.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭stargirl!

andreac wrote: »
    I did the course at Enniskillen and its very good, very practical based if thats what you are looking for. I didnt do the Degree, just the HND, but you have the option of doing the top up after if you want.

I have heard that Limerick isnt that practically based so not much hands on, but thats only what ive heard.

Im currently employed by one of the top stud farms in Ireland and have been here since i left college in 2002. I got work experience/emplyoment in Kildangan on my gap year of my course and it stood to me when i went for the interview in my current job.

Hope that helps :)

absolutely agree with you the course in enniskillen is much more practical, you get so many options to choose the right course (Diploms/FdSc/ BSc) and module options within the course so you get a chance to experience a bit of everything

• Advertisement
Advertisement