Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mold in rented accomodation

• 09-08-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Long story short, moved into a new place a few months ago and this morning herself discovered a lot of mould on the base of the bed and the carpet underneath it. We've both had a bit of a cough for the last few weeks but i didn't think anything of it till she pointed out it could be because of this.

Just wondering is this our problem for not seeing it at the viewing or the landlords? I just want to know the fastest way to get it sorted as herself is pregnant and don't want to risk anything.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

It is the landlords problem. get onto them straightaway.
    i would be inclined to move out if the problem is not rectified withij 6 weeks.
    the landlord should be providing you a house withproper ventialtion and insulation.
    check out threshhold.ie
    also mould is dangerous, i lived in a damp mouldy house for a year and i developed breathing problems noit to mention constant colds and flus.

also word to the wise - mould can casue ashtma in children. so i really would get out if it was me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Is it a big job to fix? Also, is there someone I could hire to come in and give a report to the landlord? I don't really want a quick fix if its going to be a room a newborn will be in?

I dont know about a report, but first thing would be ring him and say you want it fixed. its up to him to ort it out. if he doesnt say you want your deposit back and move. dont risk ur babies health.
    mouldbusters.ie may be able to come out and take a sample and tell you how toxic the mould is. http://www.mouldbusters.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

First thing to do is move out of that bedroom. Next thing, insist that the problem is sorted right away as it is a health hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nextbestintown

Hi.

It is the landlords responsibility. However if they don't care, you can contact your local council who can make them sort it under housing act.

• Advertisement

I dont know about a report, but first thing would be ring him and say you want it fixed. its up to him to ort it out. if he doesnt say you want your deposit back and move. dont risk ur babies health.
    mouldbusters.ie may be able to come out and take a sample and tell you how toxic the mould is. http://www.mouldbusters.ie/

Cheers, I'll give them a call. He doesn't seem too bothered at the moment with it, more a kind of "give it a clean and it'll be grand" sort of attitude and thats why I want the report
    deman wrote: »
    First thing to do is move out of that bedroom. Next thing, insist that the problem is sorted right away as it is a health hazard.

Can't really move herself out of the bedroom for long :( she's 7 months pregnant and the other rooms are full of the kids :(

Will get on to the landlord though.
    Hi.

It is the landlords responsibility. However if they don't care, you can contact your local council who can make them sort it under housing act.

I don't really want to go down this route because it'll probably take weeks to get done, thats why I'll probably go private and see if he'll foot the bill

also check the underneath of your mattress. if there is mould on a part of your mattress chances are the underneath is wet/damp.
    if its only in one room, perhaps an airvent needs to be drilled into the wall. shouldnt be a huge job.
    how is your bathroom do you get mould in there?
    also keep in mind the mould will get ten times worse in winter.
    i really would move but again i know its hard with a baby on the way.

We have a small bit of mould in the bathroom but would be at the complete opposite end of the house. I'll get her to check the mattress now.

Its not really feasible to move at the moment (and don't really want to move for the third time in a year) so I'm hoping he gets the finger out

in my experience and im sorry to be a moaner! the mould will get worse and worse as we get into winter.
    i completely understand you not wanting to move again.i have been in your situation.
    all i will say if its not rectified and winter hits your going to find it very stressful and worrying healthwise.
    i would move now before the baby came sorry again i know you dont want to hear that.
    also check the wardrobes, can you smell damp in the wardrobes and on your clothes?
    it may be a case the whole house needs insulating and ventialtion and i cant see any landlord footing the bill

also buy dehumidifer for the room where your keeping the baby. it will help. and seriously mould is a cause of asthma in kids. just be aware . i ended up in the galway clinic this year with a constantly blocked nose. im on steroids now. and it was alll down to the damp.
    i had mould growing on walls. mattress. wardrobes. bathrooms . landlord wouldnt pay for the work.

and try not to dry clothes on radiators this will help too.
    keep bathroom window open everytime you shower - again in winter this will be hard as it gets so cold here

• Advertisement

Yeah I bought a couple of dehumidifiers this morning, after a tip from a mate.

Haven't smelt damp anywhere else in the house, clothes etc are all fine, but then again, most of it was bought as we moved in.

Will probably end up paying for it all myself and seeing if I can get the landlord to reimburse me, we've invested alot in moving here and I know herself loves the place apart from this

if it is an insulation problem - then i think the local councils are giving a grant to people to insulate their houses.
    i hope it all works out for you

if it is an insulation problem - then i think the local councils are giving a grant to people to insulate their houses.

Cheers mate, thanks for all your help and advice, much appreciated!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/village-in-shock-as-businessman-turns-out-to-be-killer-ontherun-2840501.html

sorry i just read this article about mouldbusters.ie! so prob not best to deal with them . there is a thread on here also about them

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73669159

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/village-in-shock-as-businessman-turns-out-to-be-killer-ontherun-2840501.html

sorry i just read this article about mouldbusters.ie! so prob not best to deal with them . there is a thread on here also about them

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73669159

REALLY glad you caught that for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mould can be due to a problem with the building, leaks, poor ventilation etc.

Or it can be due to peoples habits, not opening windows, blocking vents, drying clothes inside with no ventilation, ditto cooking with no ventilation.

If its on the carpet, and under the bed I that sounds more like a leak somewhere on the floor, perhaps from a radiator. You should try identify whats causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Here is some info on mould and condensation. It's a bit long so I have divided it in two parts.

Mould and condensation. Part 1
    There is an obligation on landlords to provide accommodation which is safe for the occupants in every way—from gas and electrical equipment safety to a whole range of other health hazards.
    The layperson, including lawyers as non-experts in Damp and Condensation Problems, often fail to understand that condensation, and problems flowing from this condition, are often caused, not by the state of the building itself, but by the lifestyle and actions of the occupants in the building. In other words, sometimes conditions created by the tenants are put at the landlord’s door when it comes to a condensation problem.

Major Causes of Dampness and Condensation
    (1) Ingress of Water— Leaks from sinks, baths and shower and their related piping where water may seep under floorboards or get in unseen places like behind built-in cupboards etc.
    (2) Penetrating & RisingDamp – usually caused by non-existent or defective damp proof courses, blocked external drains or water pooling near the house foundations.
    (3) Condensation. This occurs where moist warm air comes into contact with colder dryer air or a surface, which is at a lower temperature. Air contains water vapour in varying quantities; its capacity to do so is related to its temperature - warm air holds more moisture than cold air. When moist air comes into contact with either colder air or a colder surface, the air is unable to retain the same amount of moisture and the water is released to form condensation in the air or on the surface.
    Condensation is generally noticeable where it forms on non-absorbent surfaces (i.e. windows, windowsills, mirrors or tiles) but it can form on any surface and it may not be noticed until mould growth or rotting of material occurs.

Conditions for Condensation
    In these islands, condensation in houses is mainly a winter problem, particularly where warm moist air is generated in areas like kitchens and bathrooms and then penetrates to colder parts of a building.
    The moisture in the air comes from a number of sources within the house. Water vapour is produced in relatively large quantities from normal day-to-day activities - a single person puts over 2 kg of water into the air every day (without taking into account any heating) - i.e.
    - breathing (asleep) 0.3 kg
    - breathing (awake) 0.85 kg
    - cooking 0.6 kg
    - personal washing 0.2 kg
    - washing and drying clothes 1.1 kg
    - heating - especially paraffin and flue-less gas heaters.

For every litre of paraffin burnt, over one litre of moisture vaporises into the air.
    Every carbon fuel produces some amount of water from combustion. (1 kg of water equates to about 1 litre) - moisture can also be drawn from the structure of the building into the internal air, from below the floor or through the walls/ceilings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Mould and condensation. Part 2
    Houses have become effectively sealed boxes, keeping in any moisture produced within the house and providing ideal conditions for condensation to occur.
    Ventilation is only effective if it is consistent throughout the whole envelope of the house. Condensation is encouraged by poor air circulation where stagnant air pockets form (behind furniture and in cupboards) and the first evidence is often the appearance of mould growth and a
    musty smell on clothes in wardrobes. The warm moist air rises to the highest points in the building, forming condensation in those areas, which are often coldest, including bedrooms, wardrobes and upstairs bathrooms and toilets etc.
    Buildings may lack or have insufficient airbricks to allow adequate under floor or attic ventilation, which is vital to prevent mould growth and timber rot problems.
    Keeping the moist air in the house through effective draft proofing aggravates the effect of moisture generation. It is theoretically possible to avoid condensation altogether by adequately venting moist air from the room in which it is generated.
    In certain areas of a house (such as bathrooms and kitchens) the warm air contains a lot of moisture; if that air then spreads to cooler parts of the house it condenses on any colder surface.
    Up until the middle/late part of the twentieth century most houses had high natural ventilation, as the level of home insulation was low, draft proofing was non-existent and open fireplaces and chimneys allowed air circulation.
    As Energy Conservation became necessary, natural ventilation was greatly reduced by the introduction of double glazing, draught excluders, fitted carpets (which prevent air movement up through suspended wooden floors) and, with the introduction of central heating, the removal of open fireplaces.
    The modern life style and particularly that of tenants, means that many houses remain unoccupied and unheated throughout the greater part of the day, allowing the fabric of the building to cool right down.

Cold walls and masonry hold more moisture which adds to the cooling effect, creating a vicious circle — cold walls, more moisture, colder, damper walls.
    The moisture producing activities are then concentrated into a relatively short time period in the evenings, producing large amounts of steam when the building structure is still relatively cold.
    Although there are other causes, by far the most common cause of mould growth in a rental property is condensation.
    Very often, the main cause of condensation resulting in mould growth is the lifestyle of the occupants – the occupants themselves. The main reasons are:
    1. Lack of adequate heating in an attempt to economise or because the occupants are “out” all day.
    2. Lack of proper ventilation in an attempt to keep the heat in the property.
    3. Lack of venting of steam generating activities resulting in high levels of condensation
    4. Lack of adequate ventilation in areas (rooms) used for drying clothes, sleeping, cooking etc.
    5. Use of flue-less heaters (Super Ser type heaters, Paraffin Heaters)

Occupants see the results of condensation and mould growth and may suffer health issues in the process—mouldy clothes in wardrobes are usually the first sign — when landlords get an ear full!
    However, occupants usually fail to appreciate that they may be part of the problem or indeed the whole of the problem. The landlord is the first to get the blame.
    Keeping the temperature at a fairly constant higher level to make sure that masonry remains warm and dry preventing Interstitial Condensation.
    This is where moisture is diffused deeply into the fabric of the building, usually after long-term lack of heating and condensation problems. The wallpaper, plaster, mortar, masonry and timbers gradually absorb more and more moisture.
    A couple of questions for you:
    - Is the accommodation adequately heated throughout the day? Ideally rooms need to be maintained at a good average temp (around 20% C).
    - Are you producing excessive amounts of moisture / steam which are unvented?

odds_on wrote: »
    A couple of questions for you:
    - Is the accommodation adequately heated throughout the day? Ideally rooms need to be maintained at a good average temp (around 20% C).
    - Are you producing excessive amounts of moisture / steam which are unvented?

Cheers for the informative post! really appreciate you taking the time to post all that, really!

On the two above:
    1. The heating isn't on but the house never feels cold? in fact my OH who usually complains of the cold is now complaining about the heat. so because of that the windows and doors are usually open.

2. In the bathroom I could see how this is happening but the bedroom is used only at night when we sleep so I'd be pretty sure its not us contributing to it.

Herself spoke to the landlord since and told her that the room was treated for mold before we moved in but the bed wasn't replaced even though the room was completely treated. Would it be possible for the mold to have remained within the bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

I rented a place with a similar problem. The landlord treated it but it came back, and back, and back!! TBH I'd get out as soon as if it ever happened again. We got colds, flus and clothes were wrecked. I know we could've gotten compo but it would've meant goin to court (LL wouldn't have paid). Even in summer it was in the bedrooms. It could well have been partly our fault as I've been told heating should go on daily, however we couldn't have afforded that and if it's a recurring problem surely it's up to the LL?

AFAIK mould and damp are reasons to leave a tenancy immediately (think I saw that on threshold after I left). I know your partner is pregnant but I'd leave before the baby comes. Does the place have a BER rating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

If you dont heat, open windows and air the place out, you'll get mold anywhere you live.

But yours sounds like a leak or the remains of mold under a wet carpet. Since you dont have it throughout the room.

How often do you clean under the bed? Did you notice it there before or is it new?

I would get the landlord to replace the bed and the carpet. And treat the whole are.

In this case it sounds like a leak or something to do with the floor. Carpet need to be lifted and the problem found. Replace the carpet with laminates would be better if its allowed.

However I have known houses to have have no mould for many years, have mould for one tenant and then no mould again when that person leaves. I'm sure they'd go away complaining about the house and how it causes all sorts of aliments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have had mold problems in rented property and every time it was the tenants that were the cause. They moved out problem solved. Newer property is actually more likely to have mold due to the reduced airflow.

While mold can cause sickness it really isn't as instant as people make out as a general rule. There are a lot more things likely to cause problems before mold will. Bed mites are the most common cause of an allergic reaction apparently and you can't see them.

I had a mold problem in my own house when we first moved in and it was simply because the vents had been sealed by the previous owner. Cleared the vents cleaned the mold and problem solved. Mold returned in a new spot but that was due to drying clothes in the house stopped that problem solved.

My mother used to do that but a drafty house eliminated the moisture.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I have had mold problems in rented property and every time it was the tenants that were the cause....

That doesn't mean its the same in every case.

But people do blame the LL far too quickly.

Though in this case it sounds like a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 okofen

hi, just came across this thread, i had a bad problem with mould and condensation in my newish house (built 2005), north facing side there was mould appearing on walls below ceiling and also bad condensation, heard that mould was very bad for ones health , so decided to look into it, i got a crowd out from mayo, www.drimaster.ie , to check it out, the vents that were in the windows werent working right which was leading to poor ventilation , which was causing the problem. i got one of there drimasters fitted for 699 euro installed and commisioned, within one week all condensation was solved and within 3 weeks mould was non existent, the air in the house was much fresher, i have to say we noticed a massive difference, we slept better and felt healthier after it was installed, the drimaster also gets rid of radon gas and prevents the build up of carbon monoxide, now im not trying to sell this , but its not always you pay a few euro for something that exceeds your expectations. they have a website, www.drimaster.ie might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

okofen judging from your post in another thread you clearly ARE trying to sell that product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take the carpet up. mould is all but impossible to remove from carpets. Bleach the floor then. Give the carpet to the landlord.

We had one very damp house; the room that was worst had a carpet that was thick with mould,

We realised why when heavy rain came and water came bubbling up between the stone tiles in the main room... They had built on the earth.

We left of course. But like others, I was ill the whole while I was there; sinus etc.

I see that place ads on daft; he has recarpeted etc but am quite sure the real problem is still there,

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

RedXIV wrote: »
    Is it a big job to fix? Also, is there someone I could hire to come in and give a report to the landlord? I don't really want a quick fix if its going to be a room a newborn will be in?

There is no way I would live in a moldy house with a new born baby. I would move out asap.

• Advertisement

That is for the landlord to do not a tenant.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I have had mold problems in rented property and every time it was the tenants that were the cause. They moved out problem solved. Newer property is actually more likely to have mold due to the reduced airflow.

While mold can cause sickness it really isn't as instant as people make out as a general rule. There are a lot more things likely to cause problems before mold will. Bed mites are the most common cause of an allergic reaction apparently and you can't see them.

I had a mold problem in my own house when we first moved in and it was simply because the vents had been sealed by the previous owner. Cleared the vents cleaned the mold and problem solved. Mold returned in a new spot but that was due to drying clothes in the house stopped that problem solved.

My mother used to do that but a drafty house eliminated the moisture.

It is if you have asthma. I triggers asthma attaches and they can kill people.

Advertisement