Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying iPhone in America and using it in Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi there!

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, I can only find quite out-dated advice on the net. Feel free to shunt me into the sticky or point me in the right direction if this is a frequent and annoying query!

Right! So I am currently in the US (using a non-contract flat-rate Metro PCS phone for my time here). I was wondering about purchasing an iPhone for the purpose of bringing home to use in Ireland. They are so much cheaper here, and I can't hang about for the iPhone 5 as by then I'll be home.

I've heard that AT&T phones are sold pre-unlocked and I can merely insert an Irish SIM card in them upon returning home, but this seems unlikely and a bit dodgy.

Can anyone tell me how I should go about purchasing an iPhone over here, unlocking it if necessary, and then using it with my old 02 Irish number at home? And are there any problems with signing up for an American contract phone with AT&T? Any general pointers or advice more than welcome.

Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

The best way around your problem would be buy a factory unlocked phone from apple

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

The reason I would like to buy the iPhone in America is because of its favourable pricing here. Would buying an unlocked factory iPhone not just absolutely defeat the purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,561 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the prices are favourable over there because you're looking at contract prices! the only way you can get an iphone in america is buying a factory unlocked one from apple. AT&T only sell 'contract-free' iphones which still means it's locked to an AT&T sim.

you've also forgot to factor in vat and customs duty that is due when you land back in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Walk into an apple store, ask for an iphone 4 without contract. Start at $450. Works in Ireland with any sim.

Please use the search function.

As I mentioned in my OP, I did use the search function but couldn't find anything specific to my query.

As I asked, does anyone have any information on whether AT&T are pre-unlocked? I've heard that without any unlocking procedure, they will work when an Irish SIM is inserted. Does anyone know anything about that?

• Advertisement

you've also forgot to factor in vat and customs duty that is due when you land back in dublin.

Is that substantial/avoidable? I will be paying sales tax here when purchasing it, and when friends have purchased Macs etc in America I have never heard of them paying customs duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

gaybitch wrote: »
    Is that substantial/avoidable? I will be paying sales tax here when purchasing it, and when friends have purchased Macs etc in America I have never heard of them paying customs duty.

Bin the box and walk on through customs. I'm not advocating avoiding tax, but in the real world, the chances of you being caught are slim. However if you are, you do have to pay. The onus is on YOU to prove YOU bought it and paid VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

As I asked, does anyone have any information on whether AT&T are pre-unlocked? I've heard that without any unlocking procedure, they will work when an Irish SIM is inserted. Does anyone know anything about that?
    I've seen some very early iphone4's sold were not locked
    They should all be locked now

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

dont iphones in america come with sim built in there not like the irish/uk version as in theres no place to slot sim??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,561 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there are plenty of threads where everything is worked out including all sales tax/customs/vat.

can't discuss avoiding it as it's against the law and can get boards in trouble.

dont iphones in america come with sim built in there not like the irish/uk version as in theres no place to slot sim??

only phones sold by verizon are like this, verizon won't sell you iphone without a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

thats the CDMA ones that are used on verizon, AT&T use GSM ones just like here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingemiester

Am currently looking at the same thing while based in the US. The apple store sells Iphone4 unlocked for $649.00. Where do you get them for $450.00 upwards?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

Am currently looking at the same thing while based in the US. The apple store sells Iphone4 unlocked for $649.00. Where do you get them for $450.00 upwards?

Cheers

Feckit meant 450euro. Sorry man!

Advertisement