Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books N'things closed down. (Lisdugan S.C.)

• 09-08-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

Just passed thru' Waterford Shopping Centre this morning and see Books N'Things are closed down. I know we are going thru' a recession but that shop has being there for years and thought it was holding up well considering our current economic situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

has it really been there that long under that name?never called it that ,itll always be porters to me and many others.id say some one else will open it in the same vein of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

not sure if your getting your shops mixed up ,its the shopping centre in lisduggan and its books ' N' things as long as i can remmeber. porter's is in city square

now maybe books 'n' things was called porters at some stage , im open to corection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya I saw that last week.

I remember I used to always get my Premier League Stickers in books N' things (or whatever it might have been called) when I was about 11 or 12. I'm amazed it has closed down to be honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cards'n'Things is in City Square, replaced Porters. Looks like it was doing fine anyway so I assume its not the one that closed?

No AFAIK it's the shop in Lisduggan that has closed down.

Edit: does anyone know is the Rent in Lisduggen still sky high? I have been looking into it over the last year and last time I checked I couldn't believe how expensive it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Nearly got worried there for a second, then I realised it was the one in Lisduggan.

Anytime I've been in there it felt more like a bumper corner shop. Small selection of books, mainly had magazines. Anything you needed you could just walk across the hall to Tesco for tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Used to buy my copy of Smash Hits there while my ma shopped in Crazy Prices on a Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

anplaya wrote: »
    has it really been there that long under that name?never called it that ,itll always be porters to me and many others.id say some one else will open it in the same vein of things

Apologies, I'm talking about WSC Lisduggan.

ziedth wrote: »
    No AFAIK it's the shop in Lisduggan that has closed down.

Edit: does anyone know is the Rent in Lisduggen still sky high? I have been looking into it over the last year and last time I checked I couldn't believe how expensive it was.

Blame the landlord's dole for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Blame the landlord's dole for that.

? Frisby is on the Dole?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    ? Frisby is on the Dole?

Silly me, I thought he was on about housing.

Anyways, from what I heard, the reason why it had to shut shop because the rent became ridiculously too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It used to be Porters back in the early 80's

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Silly me, I thought he was on about housing.

Anyways, from what I heard, the reason why it had to shut shop because the rent became ridiculously too high.

From what I saw I'd believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where am I gonna get my Roy Of The Rovers of a Friday morning now?? :(

Sad to see it go, I was only in there (briefly) when home for The Tall Ships. Shopping Centre won't be the same without it tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Spotted that myself last week. Is it only Claire's and the chemists left open now on that side of the centre?

Really makes the place look bad with all those empty units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

first johnny tierney dies! May he rip and now books n things jaysus the place is goin downhill and won,t be the same wsc like it was when i did security in there bout 8yrs ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The shopping centre out there must be dying a slow death!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Always fond memories of that place, I remember it before they changed the layout. I used to love going in there buying paper for drawing. I got the Dinosaur weekly magazines in there when they were in fashion. Sign of the times I suppose.

first johnny tierney dies! May he rip and now books n things jaysus the place is goin downhill and won,t be the same wsc like it was when i did security in there bout 8yrs ago

ah when slic chic went it was all down hill from there

at least we still have kavanaghs kiosk speaking of kavanaghs kiosk can anyone remember when it was where lifestyle sports is now?

just thinking of old shops there..my favourite was always neville colbert menswear.
    my uniforms were always bought there. he was also known as "neville next week" as if something was out of stock he always said without fail "i will have it in next week"

ex infantry man do you remember the security guard called "robocop" or maybe its before your time

edit: or maybe its you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

SUNGOD wrote: »
    at least we still have kavanaghs kiosk speaking of kavanaghs kiosk can anyone remember when it was where lifestyle sports is now?

I remember that, it was tiny..... can anyone remember when tesco/quinnsworth owned the Unit where Heatons is now I think it was their homewear and one month they got a big consignment of Nike runners and where selling them for nothing. Lifestyle when apes*it over it... think it was around 1998....

As for books and things, serves him right for barring me for reading the top shelf editions when I was a kid.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

just thinking of old shops there..my favourite was always neville colbert menswear.
    my uniforms were always bought there. he was also known as "neville next week" as if something was out of stock he always said without fail "i will have it in next week"

ex infantry man do you remember the security guard called "robocop" or maybe its before your time

ah robocop defo was before my time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Ahh "neville colbert menswear" - You are showing your age there...:)

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Ahh "neville colbert menswear" - You are showing your age there...:)

sshh..i still never admitted i can remember when quinnsworth was londis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

sshh..i still never admitted i can remember when quinnsworth was londis

Or Crazy Prices and Yellow Pack:o

ah yellow pack lager.. they made you sign a disclaimer form before you were allowed buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

wonder what Maurice pratt thinks of it all

Shin

ah poor maurice stigmatised by a surname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Remember getting the cream buns in hot Toms, and then into KG discs to see what tapes just came in?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

KG Discs? Jeez, I remember buying vinyl singles and albums in Five-O Records! It was on the corner where the travel agent is today.

• Advertisement

Guramoogah wrote: »
    KG Discs? Jeez, I remember buying vinyl singles and albums in Five-O Records! It was on the corner where the travel agent is today.

I remember a shoe shop used to be there. I also remember a shop across from it called pins and needles. and I think Iceland used to be there as well but up a bit.

I used to work in Crazy Prices and used to get on great with Robocop. He was sound out.

Jesus is still there. Passed him the other day.

Advertisement