Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cdaly_'s 26 county challenge training log

• 09-08-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

So, having signed up for the Drogheda Wheelers 26 county challenge, I probably should do some organised training. The challenge is a 4-team 1000km non-stop 26 county relay. 250km per team in 5 50km stages.

I started out this morning with a 70km spin to work via Skerries, Balrothery, Naul. Working on keeping the pace up on the climbs (not my strongest point).

70km at 24.9kph.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

If you get the wrong team it could be 5 x 50k eyeballs out timetrials. How do you like puking and cramping at the same time? :)

Get the right team and it will be great fun.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How does this work? Each member of a 4 man team does 50km on 5 occasions in rotation?

Fair play, and good luck, sounds like a great challenge and good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's a 1000km circuit reaching each of the 26 counties. 4 teams of about 10 riders each. Each team will do 5 x 50km stages in rotation so it's proper bunch cycling and all. Original thread here.

Beware, I might be back on looking for sponsorship yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

28km total on the commute today.

Morning was working on keeping cadence up in a serious headwind. Kept the speed around 20kph.

Evening was cadence intervals in a tailwind. Typically running at about 95rpm and pushing to max 115rpm in the intervals. Pushing up to 40kph at times.

Heading up over sally gap for a big of climbing tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

each team is going to average 15 mph well thats the plan .36hours straight.:eek:

87k total today. 14k commute pushing against the headwind.

Left Glasnevin at 4pm heading for Sally Gap and on to Greystones. 60km, 21.6kph average, 10kph climbing speed. Had to stop to gasp for breath a couple of times and the legs were pretty sore at times.

Got a train from Greystones to Connolly and then a
    had a 12k recovery spin (30kph approx) home along the coast.

Taking the commute easy tomorrow and rest day on sat...

BTW, you can sponsor me too...

Rest days Sat and Sun.

Went out for a couple of hill repeats over Howth this morning. Three climbs from the village side.
    First was to the left of the church, spun happily up using 30x24 for the steep bit by the church.
    Back down to the village and went to the right of the church on climb 2. Kept moving throughout, min speed around 8kph. Out of the saddle on the steepest bit, standing on the pedals in 30x28 is very jerky. Didn't feel any easier when I sat down again. Turned right onto windgate hill near the top.
    Back down, passing a chap I'd met at the top and turned again for a third go. Left of the church again but had to drop to 30x28 for the steep bit having used up a lot of legs on climb 2. Recovered a bit and carried on spinning in 30x21 all the way up. Interestingly, at one point, I found myself thinking about what I have to do today and forgot I was climbing!

Over the top and headed down the sutton side to go on to work. Met the same chap coming back up the sutton side having presumably done a lap. I bit of a breeze on the coast path had me feeling not at all strong for a bit but recovered after a while and built up the pace a bit for the rest of the commute...

Oh, and on the coast I came upon a chap trailing one leg and pedalling with the other. I'm guessing it's some sort of training thing rather than an injury...

Commute home was just recovery pace.

40km total, about 6-7k of climbing, min climbing speed about 8kph.

A modest 60km this morning. Baldoyle, Swords, Naul (via Five Roads -> Hollywood climb), Oldtown, Glasnevin. Kept the gearing a bit high on the hills and tried to keep the pace up also. Managed mostly, min climbing speed about 12kph but mostly closer to 15kph.

60km, 14.5kph avg, min climbing speed 12kph.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was just the 28k commute.

Today was up to Sally Gap again. Glasnevin -> Sally Gap -> Glencree -> Enniskerry -> Baldoyle.

75k, 22.3kph avg, min climbing speed 9kph, climbing cadence 60-65 rpm.

I managed to get up Cruagh hill without a stop. Brief rest at the junction above the bridge and then on up to the first peak. Went on down past the Glencree turn to the second climb. Quick stop for a bite and then did the Lough Bray climb non-stop. Well happy with that...

Total for the day: 88k.

Friday and Monday were just the commute. Did a spin out to Howth and over the top a couple of times with Havoc and Bcmf. Practiced my drafting skills and my not-gonna-stop-on-a-climb-in-front-of-other-boardsies-even-if-it-kills-me skills...

53km this morning. North Dublin, kept the pace up on the hills.

53km, 24.8kph avg, 13kph climbing speed 70-75rpm climbing cadence...

might sound like a stupid question but are you training specifically for this 26 cycle challenge ,because by the sound of it, if your on a team you will be by far the strongest rider in that team which could cause average speed problems as in you might just want to beat the next team 's times .maybe i have the story all wrong it has been know :D
    but remember it's not a race really is a team event you can only ride as fast as the slowest rider or so i'm led to believe.:confused:

I'm pretty much aiming to improve my weak spot which is climbing. I'll have no problem easing back and such and I'm most certainly not gonna be racing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

which team are you on cdaly

Alpha apparently.

jasus so am i :eek: and i'm the slowest fred in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

so your doing it now feck sake and we are all in the same team

granda wrote: »
    so your doing it now feck sake and we are all in the same team
    still not 100% sure but im sure if i turn up i wont be told to feck off:D:D
    but seriously i dont think i have enough training done if lenny keeps things tight no glory hunters in his team i might just wing it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

go team alpha!!

FSL - give us a shout tomorrow will ye?

Thats good training CDaly - you will be fine. Im planning on taking it easy :)

lennymc wrote: »
    go team alpha!!

FSL - give us a shout tomorrow will ye?

Thats good training CDaly - you will be fine. Im planning on taking it easy :)
    Lenny have to go to a wedding my nice is getting hitched and well theres no way out for anto :eek:i would sooner be out on me bike.
    i will be out with the group Saturday morn hopefully.;)

Out again this evening. Headed down to Kilmashogue Lane to watch the hill climb championship. 50km total, didn't push too hard, saving myself for the climb. Did the climb in 15m34 rolling, 19m elapsed stopping to gasp for air from time to time.

Tapering off now, will do one long commute next week and just take it easy otherwise...

Advertisement