Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Misery @ Sallypark

• 09-08-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Could anything be done with the side of the hill stepped ledges. It has been vandalised now by a succession of morons
    - with paint,
    - I presume even an idiot wouldnt write CIRA so im assuming its a dyslexic Ciara and most recently
    - mini-Hollywood-sign style signs to read kilkenny on it, it now says 'ENN'.

All this is an eyesore and plain and simple vandalism. As for the kilkenny stuff, all it will lead to is retaliation vandalism so any ideas folks.

I dont think a wire fence is going to stop these people, planting trees could cause roots which destabalise the rock so that mightnt be suitable either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Max Powers wrote: »
    Could anything be done with the side of the hill stepped ledges. It has been vandalised now by a succession of morons
    - with paint,
    - I presume even an idiot wouldnt write CIRA so im assuming its a dyslexic Ciara and most recently

All this is an eyesore and plain and simple vandalism. As for the kilkenny stuff, all it will lead to is retaliation vandalism so any ideas folks.

I dont think a wire fence is going to stop these people, planting trees could cause roots which destabalise the rock so that mightnt be suitable either.

I thought CIRA was an acronym for Continuity IRA??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Am I wrong or the sign actually said KICKENNY? :cool:

Was it a "we KICKED the **** out of you" kind of thing or just a miserable fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I thought the kilkenny thing was excellent. nothing wrong with a bit of banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seany,
    So you think a little bit of vandalism is grand??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Seany,

Just a little bit :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Seany,

Can't see the word 'vandalism' anywhere in his post?! :confused:

Banter, however, is grand. While I don't agree with CIRA or anything similarly offensive being put up on the rock, the likes of the Kilkenny sign and the changing of the flags that went on last year are fun bits of inter county sledging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Seany,
    It was a cardboard cutout! Non-permanent. Hardly hardcore vandalism?
    Maybe ask Santa for a sense of humour for Christmas? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Chochese wrote: »

Banter, however, is grand. While I don't agree with CIRA or anything similarly offensive being put up on the rock, the likes of the Kilkenny sign and the changing of the flags that went on last year are fun bits of inter county sledging.

Seeing as Mount Misery is inside Waterford, anyone who wants to paint a kilkenny sign should f--- off into their own county to paint it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Its a complete disgrace what has been going on up there over the past while, and as for those who say "ah sure its fun, intercounty banter" - look you can dress it up all you like and delude yourself all you want but the fact is that it is blantant vandalism and any removable card signs are just littering -plain and simple. These people are breaking the law and should be prosecuted and punished. No excuses or "ah sures".

The wd/kk crap the goes on in and about the ferrybank area is the stupidest thing ever, have people nothing better to be on about?

The fact that the guards/councils are doing nothing means they are in fact condoning it. This petty vandalism and graffiti up there was the thin edge of the wedge that led to the complete destruction of the Ard Ri which was once a lovely icon for the area, now its a kip. If the Mt Misery vandalism was nipped in the bud maybe the Ard Ri would no t be such an eye sore today and it would be much more likely to have reopened.

There needs to be high security palisade fencing all along the top of the cliff and down the whole perimetre of the area including the ard ri, with the wall along the dual carriageway topped with razor wire. There also needs to be a camera monitoring the area to catch any feckers.

It was a cardboard cutout! Non-permanent. Hardly hardcore vandalism?
    Maybe ask Santa for a sense of humour for Christmas? :D

Thats the typical Irish attitude: 'sure it will be alright, what harm'.
    It is ugly, littering vandalism of the small minded tribal bull$hit that is so prevalent in Ireland. We as a city are trying to put our best image forward and this childish nonsense at the main entrance to the city doesnt help. This tit for tat stuff usually ends up with more serious vandalism on monuments or on buildings, see Ard Ri months ago for example. What harm, sure its hardly hardcore vandalism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Its a complete disgrace what has been going on up there over the past while, and as for those who say "ah sure its fun, intercounty banter" - look you can dress it up all you like and delude yourself all you want but the fact is that it is blantant vandalism and any removable card signs are just littering -plain and simple.

The wd/kk crap the goes on in and about the ferrybank area is the stupidest thing ever, have people nothing better to be on about?

The fact that the guards/councils are doing nothing means they are in fact condoning it. This petty vandalism and graffiti up there was the thin edge of the wedge that led to the complete destruction of the Ard Ri which was once a lovely icon for the area, now its a kip. If the Mt Misery vandalism was nipped in the bud maybe the Ard Ri would no t be such an eye sore today and it would be much more likely to have reopened.

There needs to be high security palisade fencing all along the top of the cliff and down the whole perimetre of the area including the ard ri, with the wall along the dual carriageway topped with razor wire. There also needs to be a camera monitoring the area to catch any feckers.
    The vandalism to the Ard Rí has a lot to do with the previous owners not boarding it up in the first place, or having any security on the site. A derelict building with easy access into it was always going to be a target for a teenage hangout/vandalism.

Granted the painting on the rock is vandalism, but I think that having a county colour on the rock is better than the IRA and penis drawings which used to be up on it.

Chochese wrote: »

Exactly. Harmless fun. Tis better than battering each other. It was in the papers and all as a bit of rivalry banter. The cira and all that shyte is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Seeing as Mount Misery is inside Waterford, anyone who wants to paint a kilkenny sign should f--- off into their own county to paint it.

Google maps says Sallypark is in Co. Kilkenny, just saying.... :D

seanybiker wrote: »
    Exactly. Harmless fun. Tis better than battering each other. It was in the papers and all as a bit of rivalry banter. The cira and all that shyte is stupid

But it is harmful; its disgusting vandalism, I dont like it, numerous others dont either because it smacks of petty childish parochialism and is unattractive. I find it hard to comprehend how somebody thinks this is fine.

Just to note: Vandalisim is not banter

We just going to have to disagree on it being harmless banter so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

verb /ˈbantər/ 
    bantered, past participle; bantered, past tense; bantering, present participle; banters, 3rd person singular present

Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way
    - the men bantered with the waitresses
    - a bantering tone

noun /ˈbantər/ 

The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks
    - there was much singing and good-natured banter

I wouldn't mind if something official was painted up there, but whats happening up there is vandalism, no if buts about it, it's not as if any of them are Banksy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

We could plant a lemon tree up there.

Never heard of any trouble coming from a lemon tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

We could plant a lemon tree up there.

Never heard of any trouble coming from a lemon tree.

Springfield V Shelbyville perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_of_Troy

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

the country is fu*ked! unemployment is at a all time high, people are in debt up to there eyeballs and these lads are worried bout a bit of paint on a rock in fairness lads im sure plenty of people would like to have ur worrys!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Ellie1984 wrote: »

Am I wrong or the sign actually said KICKENNY? :cool:

Was it a "we KICKED the **** out of you" kind of thing or just a miserable fail?

Did you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

alphapa wrote: »
    the country is fu*ked! unemployment is at a all time high, people are in debt up to there eyeballs and these lads are worried bout a bit of paint on a rock in fairness lads im sure plenty of people would like to have ur worrys!!!!!!!!!!!

With all due respect, just because the country is f#ed, is no reason for us to lose all pride in it and it's appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

It said Kilkenny. It looked fine until it was vandalised.

Junior wrote: »
    verb /ˈbantər/ 
    bantered, past participle; bantered, past tense; bantering, present participle; banters, 3rd person singular present

Talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored teasing way
    - the men bantered with the waitresses
    - a bantering tone

noun /ˈbantər/ 

The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks
    - there was much singing and good-natured banter

I wouldn't mind if something official was painted up there, but whats happening up there is vandalism, no if buts about it, it's not as if any of them are Banksy.
    I know what banter is. Don't need a dictionary. Good girl though, you should be proud of being able to copy and paste.

So you think vandalism, painting where you like, even if its to the detriment of the city's image is harmless banter?

So you think vandalism, painting where you like, even if its to the detriment of the city's image is harmless banter?
    Where did I say anywhere? I said mount misery flag painting and the sign is harmless.
    I thought I answered this already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

its only an oul piece of stone

kkdela6 wrote: »
    its only an oul piece of stone

yeah was gonna say that meself. There's legitimate business's in town that are far worse looking than a rock with a bit of paint on it.

yeah was gonna say that meself. There's legitimate business's in town that are far worse looking than a rock with a bit of paint on it.

yeah and there probably all buying paint in waterford so its good for business. give a few lads something to do for an evening. keep them off the sauce. win win

kkdela6 wrote: »
    yeah and there probably all buying paint in waterford so its good for business. give a few lads something to do for an evening. keep them off the sauce. win win

lol they put the kilkenny sign up at 2:30-3:00 in the morning after a load of beer haha. Was talking to them lol.

• Advertisement

lol they put the kilkenny sign up at 2:30-3:00 in the morning after a load of beer haha. Was talking to them lol.

that sounds like even better craic. fair play. its a tough oul job getting up there. some view though. wow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement