Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Misery @ Sallypark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

kkdela6 wrote: »
    that sounds like even better craic. fair play. its a tough oul job getting up there. some view though. wow

Havent been up there in years. Tis a nice view alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

There's a obvious solution Waterford should do a Gibraltor job on the rock, separate border patrol there local language enforced , a new flag and currency maybe and definitely some deranged monkeys as a kind of tourist attraction. National anthemn by the Gillespie sisters goes without saying.

Im just back from dropping the lack into town. Rock looks blue and white to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

@ Seany and all those who see it as a "bit-o-fun"

if i were you and i knew the identities of those engaged in vandalism and graffiti and littering i would be ringing up the ferrybank gaurds and the relevant part of the WD city council and Kilkenny CoCo to get them done for it. I take it you dont live in ferrybank or along the quays had have to look at that scrawled mess every day. As said, the tolerance of this graffiti was the thin edge of the wedge that progressed in time to result in the wanton destruction of the once lovely Ard Ri. By condoning it, you are encouraging it and must shoulder a certain portion of the blame. Theres no excuse for this type of antisocial behaviour that is going on.

I think this activity reveals that those involved have no respect for their sorroundings or other people or tourists. Pure selfishness and thugery. Would they be graffitiing and scrawling all over the front of their own houses? I think not, but they think it good sport to do it to property thats not theirs. If you were on holidays somewhere and the first thing you saw was dirty scrawls all over the entrace to the city,what would your first impression be? -ah sure its a bit o harmelss fun? i dont think so. i would be thinking it must be a dirty filthy place inhabited by no-good chavs. Not the impression we want to be giving our tourists, who we need more than ever.

Those responsible should be caught and held to account for their actions, but the "justice" system we have will unboubtly pat them on the back and let them off for first offence. What a load. Do they no know right from wrong or what.

And seany, if you returned home one day and saw one of them painted graffiti all over your house would you be calling it harmless banter then? would you? I doubt it, but when its someone elses property and not yours you say its OK. thats a shameful attitude to have in fairness.

Was it WLR fm that were tlking about it a while ago, with the attitude that it was just a bit-o- craic, an absolute disgrace that the citys radio station would be condoning such behaviour, and indirectly encouraging itas a result.

I hate that word lack, ugh it sounds so crude and chavish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I think this activity reveals that those involved have no respect for their sorroundings or other people or tourists. Pure selfishness and thugery. Would they be graffitiing and scrawling all over the front of their own houses? I think not, but they think it good sport to do it to property thats not theirs. If you were on holidays somewhere and the first thing you saw was dirty scrawls all over the entrace to the city,what would your first impression be? -ah sure its a bit o harmelss fun? i dont think so. i would be thinking it must be a dirty filthy place inhabited by no-good chavs. Not the impression we want to be giving our tourists, who we need more than ever.
    I hate that word lack, ugh it sounds so crude and chavish
    How is it thuggery!? How exactly does painting a rock show a lack of respect for tourists?

Its a bunch of lads painting over a rock as a bit of fun.
    Its not a big dirty scrawl.
    Its not someone's house.
    Its not a public building.
    It IS harmless fun.

Chav? Thuggery? You threw so many words out there that had nothing to do with it at all.

Answer me this, if its such a huge serious problem and a big disgrace like you say, then why aren't the guards cracking down on it? Why aren't they out looking for who is doing it as we speak?

• Advertisement

Look, it doesn't matter if its a house, wall, bridge, cliff face, car or whatever -if it doesn't belong to you, you have no right to deface/vandalise/graffiti it. Period.
    And in any case there is such a thing as having some common decency and respect for your area and not doing anything to tarnish or damage it.

As said, if it was your house would you be so accepting of it?

it is potentially damageing to tourists as its the first thing they see when they arrive and look out across they quays. It's hardly photgenic and makes them with a desire to come back or reccommend it. It makes a poor first impression.

Would the time of those responsible not be better spend by doing something theat helps the community and makes the city nicer to live in? that would be much better fun and more rewarding than getting pissed on booze and climbing up a hill at 2 in the moring with a can of paint. I can't see how that could be fun, it sounds stupid. I bet it's some of the local GAA heads doing it, only GAA heads could be so clanish and tribalistic to be bothered painting county colours all over the place.

The reason nothing is being done by the authorities is the complete apathy of the authorities and people who have parochial tribalism so ingrained in their heads and see it all as intercounty rivalry, what BS.

Next you'll ask "well if i'm so worried about it whay arn't i doin something?" Well maybe i'll get on to the council and local reperasentatives today. All it takes is to pick up the blower. I might just do it after reading this thread.

I'm so grumpy, i'll give this thing 5 grumpy faces :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I think there are two sides to this argument, I believe that it is fairly harmless but one point I would like to make is that we have to be aware of how others perceive it. Jack Burtchell (of walking tour fame) once spoke on WLR and said that he had often been asked if bits of graffiti on various walls around town were gang colours. The point he made was to a lot of American tourists Graffiti= Gangs. I think although harmless in most of its intent this kind of stuff sets a bad example to kids who are tagging the walls of shops and houses in the City.
    The Rock and Mount Misery are excellent natural billboards what I believe should be done is both should be painted with large ( non KK WD) murals. Perhaps a giant Viking mural on the Mount Misery side. Once done the areas need to be properly secured so as to avoid vandalism. If done on a large enough scale a mural like this might become a tourist attraction in itself.

I once again stress that it is not harmless, for many reasons. You are spot on with that example of how americans might thinks its a gang thing. Thats the sort of thing we need to thinking of.

As for the mural thing, i don't think it would be a good idea. It'd need to be huge and cost a lot. Think of the maintenance involved in it and repairs if some eejit goes at it. The water flows down that rockface so it would get grubby and green very very fast.

It would be better to just plant some trees along the ledge/terraces and they would, in time look much nicer. as for the rusulting rockfall risk from roots, i'm sure a solution could be engineered and anyway freeze thaw action is just as destructive to a rockface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Look, it doesn't matter if its a house, wall, bridge, cliff face, car or whatever -if it doesn't belong to you, you have no right to deface/vandalise/graffiti it. Period.
    And in any case there is such a thing as having some common decency and respect for your area and not doing anything to tarnish or damage it.

As said, if it was your house would you be so accepting of it?

it is potentially damageing to tourists as its the first thing they see when they arrive and look out across they quays. It's hardly photgenic and makes them with a desire to come back or reccommend it. It makes a poor first impression.

Would the time of those responsible not be better spend by doing something theat helps the community and makes the city nicer to live in? that would be much better fun and more rewarding than getting pissed on booze and climbing up a hill at 2 in the moring with a can of paint. I can't see how that could be fun, it sounds stupid. I bet it's some of the local GAA heads doing it, only GAA heads could be so clanish and tribalistic to be bothered painting county colours all over the place.

The reason nothing is being done by the authorities is the complete apathy of the authorities and people who have parochial tribalism so ingrained in their heads and see it all as intercounty rivalry, what BS.

Next you'll ask "well if i'm so worried about it whay arn't i doin something?" Well maybe i'll get on to the council and local reperasentatives today. All it takes is to pick up the blower. I might just do it after reading this thread.

I'm so grumpy, i'll give this thing 5 grumpy faces :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Back in 2008 when Waterford were in the All-Ireland final, several houses were painted completely in Blue and White. There was even a competition on WRL for it!! (I think a house in Morrison's Road won)
    Do you feel the same about this? Are these people lacking common decency too?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

In fairness I think there is a difference in people painting/ decorating their own property than painting sites that dont belong to them.

• Advertisement

Back in 2008 when Waterford were in the All-Ireland final, several houses were painted completely in Blue and White. There was even a competition on WRL for it!! (I think a house in Morrison's Road won)
    Do you feel the same about this? Are these people lacking common decency too?

Nothing wrong with that, no, because they were doing it to their own house which they own so its not vandalism. Thats fine.
    Tacky and really bad taste- yes, but vandalism -no.

If they went out and started painting other peoples houses at randon then that is vandalism and is wrong.

Nothing wrong with that, no, because they were doing it to their own house which they own so its not vandalism. Thats fine.
    Tacky and really bad taste- yes, but vandalism -no.

If they went out and started painting other peoples houses at randon then that is vandalism and is wrong.
    But what about the tourists opinions? Do they think that they are passing a 'gang' house, with the massive 'tag' on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think this arguement has split into 2 camps:
    1 - people that care about how the city looks, first impressions etc and
    2 - people who are at best, indifferent or at worst, dont care.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think this arguement has split into 2 camps:
    1 - people that care about how the city looks, first impressions etc and
    2 - people who are at best, indifferent or at worst, dont care.
    Then why not also complain about the ship 'graveyard' at Hanlon's. That is also seen as you come into the city, and it looks terrible.
    Yes, the painting on the rocks is not everyone's cuppa tea, but having two colours up there (regardless of which ones are there) is a hell of a lot better than 'traditional' graffiti of smiley faces, a giant penis, or <insert random name> woz ere'. Which would you prefer?

No, this argument has two sides.
    1. You see the rock painting as a bit of fun and rivalry, like the majority of Waterford see it.
    2. You see it as mindless vandalism that needs to be stopped.

But what about the tourists opinions? Do they think that they are passing a 'gang' house, with the massive 'tag' on it?

No i doubt it. Look, i think you are just goading me for a reaction now, well you not going to get it.

Then why not also complain about the ship 'graveyard' at Hanlon's. That is also seen as you come into the city, and it looks terrible.
    Yes, the painting on the rocks is not everyone's cuppa tea, but having two colours up there (regardless of which ones are there) is a hell of a lot better than 'traditional' graffiti of smiley faces, a giant penis, or <insert random name> woz ere'. Which would you prefer?

yeah the shipyard and the whole RH hall complex is a diaster too. and people have tried to develop it but the council seems to prefer to refuse premission. Seems they like the ugly rusty mess look!
    Remember the hotel complex planned for the north wharf or the hotel/confrence centre tower development for bilberry. Shame not of these took off.

Well i would prefer a natual looking cliff face with no graffiti, some trees or greenery would look nice.

Off topic: and what is it with people painting giant dicks with hairy balls all over everything? there was one on the bridge near piltown until recently. I wonder how Sigmun Freud would explain this. It seems to happen everywhere. quite bizzare.

No i doubt it. Look, i think you are just goading me for a reaction now, well you not going to get it.
    Didn't mean for it to sound that way. Apologies. Hindsight and all that.
    A comparison of the painted rock to a gang tag was just ridiculous though.

Well i would prefer a natual looking cliff face with no graffiti, some trees or greenery would look nice.
    I don't know how to break this to you, but you can't plant trees in rock so the rockface will always be there.

I don't know how to break this to you, but you can't plant trees in rock so the rockface will always be there.
    In fairness, you'd have to do a lot of digging to get to rock at this stage!

• Advertisement

duh, but they could be planted on the several ledges that are there. They look to be wide enough for a machine to drive along. Sure there were excavators up there on the ledges when they were doing the work and making room for the sallypark dual cariiageway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Agree 100% ship place is a mess, but thats a different thread, day, story.

You just reaffirmed my 2 points; some people think its disgusting, gives a bad impression and would like to see all graffiti/vandalisim stopped while others, like yourself are, I wouldnt say happy with it but indifferent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Grafitti, no matter how insignficant, is the thin end of the wedge, Give someone an inch and they will take a mile etc.

This needs to be nipped in the bud now (right there Bud) otherwise it will escalate out of control - some might say it already has. The Liberal Leftist attitude needs to stop now or we will end up with riots like the UK

Bards wrote: »
    Grafitti, no matter how insignficant, is the thin end of the wedge, Give someone an inch and they will take a mile etc.

This needs to be nipped in the bud now (right there Bud) otherwise it will escalate out of control - some might say it already has. The Liberal Leftist attitude needs to stop now or we will end up with riots like the UK

the bud stage came and went a long time ago. Glad to see were both on the same page as regards it being the thin edge of the wedge, i mean it started of with graffiti in 2008, and now just take a look at what the ard -ri was like before the put cladding on it. That hotel was once the jewel in waterfords crown but now as a result of vandalism is a friggin kip that will end up being kocked down, such a shame for a a building that was perfectly fine up to about 2007.

"The liberal leftist attitude"

Here we go....JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL THIS THREAD IS GOING DOWN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Think them masked idiots calling themselves The K Team are no more, think they left the country, so hopefully the rock wont be plastered with black and amber paint like it was last year :rolleyes:

Master and commander I didn't read all your post because it takes you to long to get your point across. Anyways ill answer your question about me coming home and finding the place painted. Since I live in a house I probably wouldn't be to happy but if I lived in a rock I would love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

STIG83 wrote: »
    Think them masked idiots calling themselves The K Team are no more, think they left the country, so hopefully the rock wont be plastered with black and amber paint like it was last year :rolleyes:

and the year before, and the year before that, and the year before that..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 THEKTEAM

first of all it was a plywood sign , it was fixed to the rock as a good look to the Kilkenny team on the morning of the semi final , seeming as there were 30 drunken and voilent waterford lads drinking up at the entrance to the rock we usually have the craic painting we decided to do something different , following recent threats of baseball bats and hospilatisation from people who cant enjoy the craic between supporters we decided to do something different and to be politically correct - that particular part of the rock in sallypark where the sign was errected is 11 feet inside the Kilkenny boundaries !!!! maybe if ye werent all souch sour graped low lifes yed see the fun in it . as for vandalism - there were a total of 40 10mm holes drilled into the sode of a rock face , no paint or permanent damage was done to it - we have respect unlike the waterford lads who spray painted road signs all over south Kilkenny with Up The Deise in blue paint . the only vandalism was committed by lads wearing waterford jerseys who had to go up and break down a sigh in CO KILKENY and break it into bits around the ground and throw it down around the place . ye are so quick to condemn us for something that is a bit of harmless fun when ye just cant handle a bit of craic . seeming as ye were so good to break it up maybe ye can now come back out and clean it up !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 THEKTEAM

The vandalism to the Ard Rí has a lot to do with the previous owners not boarding it up in the first place, or having any security on the site. A derelict building with easy access into it was always going to be a target for a teenage hangout/vandalism.

Granted the painting on the rock is vandalism, but I think that having a county colour on the rock is better than the IRA and penis drawings which used to be up on it.

its in CO KILKENNY - look after yer own county and stop vandalising and smashing things in our county !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement