Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fancy beer

• 09-08-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a present for someone who likes "Fancy beer". Any suggestions for what to get, and where would I find them near Swords?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Define "fancy beer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I think she means stuff other than the usual Carlsberg/Heineken/Budweiser rubbish? Personally I just call it good quality beer, Lord Mayors off license in Swords apparently has a good selection, maybe a selection of Porterhouse beers? Its impossible to be specific without knowing peoples personal taste but O' Haras is another Irish company that makes great tasting beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I honestly don't know what he likes, his wife said "Fancy beer" so that's all I have to go on.

I'll try the Lord Mayors.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

A nice Weiss Beer maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

EileenG wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what he likes, his wife said "Fancy beer" so that's all I have to go on.

There are hundreds of non mainstream, good tasting beers so its impossible to make specific recommendations (a bit like someone saying they like fancy cheese), some of my personal favorites (amongst dozens) are:

Galway Hooker
    O Haras Leann Follain
    Hook Norton 12 days
    Porterhouse range
    Fullers 1845
    Fullers london Pride
    Timoty Taylor Landlord
    Sierra Nevada range

It depends on taste though, for example I don't like weiss beers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

I'd get him some Belgian Trappist beers; I'd suggest Chemay, Duval etc. You should be able to get them in O' Briens or Next door Off licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

+1 mack bet me to it, belgium beers are delish... and usually quite stong... what drew me to them i must admit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Also O'Brien's in Malahide has a good selection.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mack_1111 wrote: »
    I'd get him some Belgian Trappist beers; I'd suggest Chemay, Duval etc. You should be able to get them in O' Briens or Next door Off licences.

+1

Depending on how much you want to spend and whether you want to give it for immediate consumption or more as a novelty item:

http://www.drinkstore.ie/DUVEL-3000ML-5411681400099/

• Advertisement

Since I'm short on time, I went to the Lord Mayors and bought two bottles each of Chimay, O'Haras Red, and Leffe brune.

Think that should be okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

They are good beers.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Since I'm short on time, I went to the Lord Mayors and bought two bottles each of Chimay, O'Haras Red, and Leffe brune.

Think that should be okay?

I'd happily be gifted those beers (and I'm fierce fussy about my beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭redlead

I'd happily be gifted those beers (and I'm fierce fussy about my beer).

Get out of it lad, I'd say you'd drink anything you could get your mitts on :D

Serious question for a lad like you, but how big is your beer gut. I'm trying to cut down my beer consumption because it's just putting weight on me. I'm not fat but I would be if I drank all the beer I want to. You must drink a lot of beer. I'm not taking the p1ss, I'm just curious. :confused:

Coors light is no substitution for a bottle of Blackrock I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

redlead wrote: »
    Serious question for a lad like you, but how big is your beer gut. I'm trying to cut down my beer consumption because it's just putting weight on me. I'm not fat but I would be if I drank all the beer I want to. You must drink a lot of beer. I'm not taking the p1ss, I'm just curious. :confused:

Well, I don't really think I drink that much beer - I drink often but rarely in large amounts. I also exercise a lot and watch my diet so I have a pretty small gut for a man of my age (41) - not as flat as I'd like it to be but more of a bit of a belly rather than a beer gut. I gave up beer last January and started going to the gym but I actually lost more weight in February when on the beer.

LOL maybe we should have a 'post your beer gut' thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I run so I can drink beer. These days, I have to run 60+ miles per week, so I can enjoy more beer. :) Sadly, no more beer for me until October 9th, when I shall be delighting myself with the best craft beer that Chicago has to offer. You don't have to be big to enjoy good beer. You just need to have taste. ;)

Advertisement