Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice on how to avoid that burnt out sun

• 09-08-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

now I know the sun is burning by default But i was wondering if any one had and advice for me on how to avoid that burnt out look, as in my example below.
    Now I know its a HDR image but every exposure has the burnt out sun.
    I used a wide angle with a poliarizer on it and was wondering if an ND filter or some other kinda of filter would give me a better result.
    I intend to try NDs on my next dawn outing.

6022962496_c0d9879b97.jpg
    hey bale sun up by BarryKelly, on Flickr

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think the problem is the burnt out sun; it's the over-abrupt transition in the clouds beside it. is that an artefact of the HDR process, or do the original images look the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I don't see how you could avoid it really. I suppose a GND would be your best bet. If you get the exposure of the sun right (don't even know if that's possible!), everything else is going to be in silhouette.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, there's an obvious gradient within the burnt out section, which makes it look even less realistic again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah all the expours were the same. Ill try the ND then and perhaps take 2 exposures and try to blend them rather than try the HDR.

Just to take this away from being a HDR debate I just merged the +2 and -2 exposures in PS.

the above 1/3 is the -2 and the below 2/3s is +2 so you can see that the -2 sun is still burned out. Perhaps a much shorter exp time was needed. I did have the camera on appture priorty and set it to the lowest I think 4.5 or there abouts..

6026343118_40e8e94c34.jpg
    blended exp hay feild by BarryKelly, on Flickr

• Advertisement

that looks much better. of course you're going to get a burned out sun - it's the sun, for god's sake.

but in that pic you don't have the abrupt transition in the clouds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wouldn't there be no data in the sun itself? It's just blown out past white and there's nothing that can be done bar painting it in again.

The more detail you pull back in around the sun the more abrupt the transition from past white to colour data will look. That's why I would have thought it looks better in the second one you have a transition through the whites and you can't see the instant change like you do in the first one.

Is it possible to mask out sections of an image for the HDR process? I've only recently started trying HDR.

yes I would say it would be but it would start to get hairy at the niggly bits.

I have to say I love the coulds in the HDR version but the sun did come out better with the 2 layered expousers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Try setting the aperature to it's smallest, something like f22 and take a fast exposure for sun detail, then some slower ones for foreground detail. Manual mode is probably best for this so you can have full control of aperature and shutter speed.

Here's one I took at f22, sun is still burnt out though.

work.7447175.3.flat,550x550,075,f.shipwreck-sunset.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

well it IS, as MB points out, the sun ! It's about 500 million billion* times brighter than anything else in the scene. Plus you're shooting digital, which doesn't really handle blown highlights so well. Even film wouldn't be able to handle this , although the transitions would look a lot nicer. You might even get a funky solarisation (black hole sun) effect ...

*may not be correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement