Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping Food

Options
  • 09-08-2011 3:02pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was in the States recently and the camping food was generally pretty basic - mince and apple sauce, chilli, etc. The size of the mince packages over there was a little scary! Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for straightforward food that's good and would feed around 12-14 people? I'm not heading camping any time soon, but I'd like to have a recipe or two in my head for next time. I did suggest some chorizo thing, but the cooking duties were done on a rota and on a budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I camp regularly and hot dogs are great, fajhitas are another good one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

chineese stirfry with instant noodles (quick and cheap).

Tuna pasta.

A friend of mine precooks the first nights meal and freezes it. Then takes it out the morning they leave. Its defrosted and ready for heating by the time they set up camp that evening.

Don't forget the naggon of brandy to add to your after dinner coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

A nice red wine, tomato, meat, veg. and rosemary stew perhaps?
    Depending on the circumstances you have a few options.

Prepare the whole thing in advance and reheat.

Prepare the meat (cook in sauce for 1.5-2h) in advance. When you want to eat it heat up and add the freshly chopped veg.

Make the whole thing from scratch there and then.

Either way it'd be hard to over cook and you wouldn't need a too expensive wine or meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks all. :)

I'm not sure stew would be doable as I don't think people would be prepared to wait for that length of time, unfortunately. I would myself, but when the food duties are divided, it's with people you don't know well, it's evening time after a long day of activities, something around 45 mins is probably max cooking time.

Freezing stuff isn't really an option on the road. There are coolers, but you're reliant on bags of ice and the coolers sitting in a trailer. Meat can be stored, but not for long and fresh fish we caught had to be eaten that evening, or so the leader insisted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Spag Bol was one we always had away with the scouts, I hate it now though :pac:

A simple mince and tomato sauce is easy to make on a campfire, as is lashing some pasta into boiling water for ten minutes.

Fry for breakfast is a must, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, like a fry cooked up on a campfire.

Marshmallows. Don't forget marshmallows.

Here's a few campfire tips.

Peel a bananna and stud it with Buttons, wrap in tinfoil, and stick into the fire for about fifteen minutes or so, delicious.

Eggs can be cooked in a hollowed out half orange.

Pro tip. Coat all your pots and pans with washing up liquid before putting them on a campfire, much easier to wash the black off them after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Oh, don't worry, smores were had. Graham cracker, a bit of Hersheys and a marshmallow done on the campfire. Main food was on gas stove, forgot to note that in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Des wrote: »
    Peel a bananna and stud it with Buttons, wrap in tinfoil, and stick into the fire for about fifteen minutes or so, delicious.
    I never peel the banana. Just make a pocket by cutting down the inside curve of the banana, through the first part of the peel, through the banana making sure not to go through the skin on the other side. Then add your chocolate if choice (Cadburys Caramel is great) and the wrap in tinfoil.

You can't beat a good chilli when camping!

What about stuffed peppers wrapped in tinfoil and chucked in the fire? You can stuff them with all manner of things, couscous makes a great stuffing.

Advertisement