Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To spray or not to spray?

• 09-08-2011 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Plan setting a new lawn,about half acre,what is best spray to kill off all rubbishy grass,weeds ,docks etc...had intended spraying it to kill off weeds at end of July bit didnt get it done....its all on good topsoil levelled out about 2 mths ago...has growth of weeds,grass etc on it now.
    Wondering am I cutting it tight to spray it now...and then set grasseed in Sept.Roundup prob best bet is it?.....anyone know how many weeks I would have to leave it to do its job before considering seeding the lawn.
    Had serious snow here in Jan so part of me says to wait till next Spring to set the new lawn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Plan setting a new lawn,about half acre,what is best spray to kill off all rubbishy grass,weeds ,docks etc...had intended spraying it to kill off weeds at end of July bit didnt get it done....its all on good topsoil levelled out about 2 mths ago...has growth of weeds,grass etc on it now.
    Wondering am I cutting it tight to spray it now...and then set grasseed in Sept.Roundup prob best bet is it?.....anyone know how many weeks I would have to leave it to do its job before considering seeding the lawn.
    Had serious snow here in Jan so part of me says to wait till next Spring to set the new lawn?

Definitely spray it. I'm hoping to have a digger in to do my lawns in the coming weeks too. i'm waiting for kerbs. Roundup or any Glyphosate will do the job. i use gallop. It should have all killed within 2 weeks and you'll be ready to roughen up the soil in order to prep it for planting seed. Are you getting in a rotivator or power harrow in to loosen up the soil before you rake the seed in???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

depends how much cover you have on it. roundup should do most of it's job in a week or so, but if you've loads of foliage to break down that will take time. in the middle of a similar job at home with some very heavy cover on it. going out tonight for a second dose of roundup on the bits that I missed first time round 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thanks for advice....Im hoping to spray it off myself with knapsack...will be slow process...suppose I should put on spray good and strong...say 3/4 litres of roundup to 20 litre water knapsack?...Have priced for a landscaper lad to come in after,he will push down small stones remaining in soil....fluff it up...and then sow the seed....got him down to 500 euro for all which isnt bad value considering size of area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 El Soarab

I dunno lads this roundup stuff isn't what it used to be. Used some a few weeks ago, worthless (and expensive) sh1te to be completely honest

Advertisement