Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panels

Options
  • 09-08-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Would love to get solar panels installed so could any recommend a company/individual in Co Kildare.

I know you can do it yourself but I would rather get someone in to do it. Is it easy to get a grant and do you need planning permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Darren O'Connor is your man. 086 83 89 326. He'll fill you in on the appropriate grants available as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Beware of cowboys charging up to 7k (and probably more).

I did a DIY install with my cousin (a plumber) and I put a 2x20 tube (the multi angle ones) and a 700L tank and all the gubbins in for just under €3K.

So add labour, costs and profit to that for an idea on what a similar system should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Also review this thread AAM thread and I guess search for more info on boards & AAM

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thats an interesting thread on AAM.

Conscious of the fact that this may end up being moved to a more suitable forum than Kildare, here are my experiences.

I have no immersion heater. We have always used the Oil boilder to heat water.
    I have only turned on the oil boiler once since last March/April, and that was because a filter on the solar system blocked and it shut down to prevent overheating or something.

So, since March/April, all hot water (2 adults & 2 kids) for showers, baths and washing up has been provided for by the panels, and it hasn't exactly been a sunny summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

I got solar panels installed in May and am delighted with them. There are three of us in the house and we have had to put the oil on boost only for one hour since.

• Advertisement
Advertisement