Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shocks for specialized bike. Where to buy? Help needed

• 09-08-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi I have a 6 year old specialized hardrock sport. It has beedn un-used over the last 3 years and need some TLC. I want to get back to cycling for a bit of exercise and I need to source affordable parts for it.

Basically I have 2 lists, the first is what I need the second is what I want.

I will buy the first list straight away and the second over time.

LIST 1

Front shocks or front fork. (Not sure if I can buy them separately)

Front and back wheels with mountain slicks.

Cable for brakes and gears.

LIST 2

New gear shifters

New brakes

New gear cogs

New crank

New pedals with arms

New grips

New sadle

Basically the hardest thing to source is the shocks. I have been onto cycleways and the gave me a quote on everything.

Is there any other bike part place in Dublin I can buy from to try and get decent parts at reasonable prices?

I can post up the frame and the faulty water impregnated forks if it helps. Also I can post up the quote if that helps too.

I dont mind spending money on the bike. But List 1 has come to about €250 already and if the quotes keep up like that then the bike will be worth more than the €600 I originally spent on it.

Any sorry for long post. Just trying to give as much info from the start so I can make an advance on this soon.

Cheers folks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

are you going to use it for mtb trails or on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

The road mainly.

youd be better off saving a little money 500ish and trying to get a road bike (probably second hand at that price range) mtb's really arnt great on the road and it just seems like that 250 euro could go to something better than an old mtb, just my 2 cents,
    im sure the lads here will help you out if you want to go the upgrading route

the frame is 100%. And its still a great bike, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

If I was even to get List 1 on it and then trade in or sell and get a road bike.

What would i get for it once its fixed up. And what would I pay for a road bike of the same quality?

Il upload a picture of the frame now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

you've listed almost everything bar the frame and derailleurs. a new bike will be cheaper

• Advertisement

2011-08-09183635.jpg

132.jpg

138.jpg

kenmc wrote: »
    you've listed almost everything bar the frame and derailleurs. a new bike will be cheaper

I understand that to get all specialized or equal parts would probably cost that, but if I was to get the two wheels, tyres and shocks replaced surely that would be affordable.

Then over the next year replace parts as need be.

keep the mtb (and fix it later) and get a nice beginner road bike that way you have the best of both worlds, as you mainly want to use a bike on the road at the moment get a road bike of some sort it will be much better and you will enjoy it a lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Forget about buying a road bike, just get a set of ridgid mtb forks, will cost you about €50 new...or i'm sure you can acquire a set 2nd hand...also for all the parts there's always plenty available for next to nothing on Adverts...

Well, I personally would love to go out and buy brand new but justifying six or seven hundred on a new push bike to my mrs is a big issue. This is why Im repairing the other one.

I hear what your saying by getting a road bike and maybe your right, but its not happening this year anyway. Maybe finance's will be better next year and the wife wont notice me syphoning money out of my account:D

I will go for the rigid forks for the moment anyway, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Fitting rigid forks will lower the front end a little,just keep that in mind,unless you get suspension adjusted ones!not a massive deal but it will change the handling a bit,you should be able to get cheap nasty suspension forks online somewhere.

Just a quick question, What type of chain do I need? Can I go wrong when buying 1

this is the one Im about to buy

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200637314302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Advertisement