Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini DV Camcorder Query

Options
  • 09-08-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, This may not be the correct forum exactly for this question, but it was the closest I could find.
    My situation is this. I bought a high spec (second hand) camcorder - the JVC HD 101E.
    I blew the firewire port in it through incorrect usage.
    The camcorder still works fine, but I can no longer upload the footage to my computer due to the firewire port now being banjaxed.
    My question is: does anyone think that by buying a cheaper Mini DV HD camcorder (which i could plug into my computer) that I could simply record as usual on my JVC HD 101E and then simply take out the Mini DV cassette and put it into the new and cheaper Mini DV camcorder and upload my content from there.
    I have come across a machine called a "JVC BR HD 50U pro DV / mini dv player / recorder" which will do this but they sell at up to €1800 second hand so it's not an option for me.
    If anyone has any experience with this kind of situation, I'd be grateful for your input. Alternatively, if anyone has a mini dv hd camcorder for sale, I'd also be interested in hearing from you.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

if you're gonna be using a cheap dv camera as a deck the heads will wear out fairly quickly on the camera. i try to use a dv deck where possible. although, even if the heads wear out on the dv camera, for the price of a pro dv deck you'd prob buy 10 2nd hand dv cameras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nativespeaker

Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the firewire port replaced. I brought it to a place in Galway, but I'm not sure if they had the ability to fix it and just said it 'wasn't worth repairing'. There's a place in London that said they do this kind of work all the time and most of the firewire ports are either repairable or replaceable and to send it over. I haven't found anywhere in Ireland that does this, so I'm going to have to courier it over to them. Thanks for the input on the heads though. It's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

I think Electronic Repair Centre might be able to fix the socket for you. They fixed a consumer JVC camera for me before, not sure if they do pro repairs as well. They're based on Herbert Place (off Baggot st, Dublin) 01-6787785.

On a side note, I'm not a major fan of using expensive pro cameras as dv decks... The extra wear & tear on the heads from playback with mean the heads will wear down quicker. If the heads need replacing on them you're talking big money...

Advertisement