Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Museum- how many visitors per day?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

My friend said that two weeks ago there was 15000 visitors ( Saturday) one day.

I dont belive it, what you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Highly doubt they could even handle that number. Closer to about 1500 at most I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why don't you call the museum tomorrow and ask, then let us know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Typical Galway bull****ter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

maxxie wrote: »
    Typical Galway bull****ter

Try getting out of the right side of the bed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

15000 per year seems more likely, tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

In 2009 it was newsworthy that they had 50,000 visitors that year.

So say it's open ~250days a year, that's an average of 200 people/day. Sounds about right.

Haven't been in in a long time, must call in some rainy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

I must call in some day, I hope it is still free of charge.

And it is kind of strange, that they are closed on Sunday- familly day, when they could get more visitors. They should be closed on Monday instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

pepe00 wrote: »
    They should be closed on Monday instead.

....they're closed on Mondays too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

foto joe wrote: »
    ....they're closed on Mondays too. :rolleyes:

ok but being closed on Sunday is not great idea for museum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Munster64

It is worth a visit though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 julio_delg

I agree it is totally worth a visit. I visited back in 2008, and I have to say the view from the top floor is stunning.

Given its size I can't see how 15000 visitors can be accommodated in one single day. I'd more for 1500 and even that sounds like a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

pepe00 wrote: »
    I must call in some day, I hope it is still free of charge.

And it is kind of strange, that they are closed on Sunday- familly day, when they could get more visitors. They should be closed on Monday instead.

Is the Museum not run by the City Council? I'm surprised they are not closed lunchtimes (about 12.30 to 2.30), and at 4pm each day, and for the month of August, and at 1pm on Fridays for the weekend, and that they would take calls on the phone. Sure, they've far bigger fish to fry than having the actual hassle of dealing with the public!

More seriously, I have actually heard good things about the restaurant / cafe there.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

celty wrote: »
    Is the Museum not run by the City Council? I'm surprised they are not closed lunchtimes (about 12.30 to 2.30), and at 4pm each day, and for the month of August, and at 1pm on Fridays for the weekend, and that they would take calls on the phone. Sure, they've far bigger fish to fry than having the actual hassle of dealing with the public!

More seriously, I have actually heard good things about the restaurant / cafe there.

Musuem open 10-5 Tues-Sat. Full of new exhibitions in the last number of weeks and its still free.
    Oh and seeing as you just want to make cheap shots. The council doesnt close for lunch any day or at 4 each day or at 1 on fridays or for the month of august....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

I was in it last Friday as it has been recently revamped. Worth a visit.
    Still way too much vacant space for my liking but has definitely getting better year by year.
    Also as someone who works in tourism I think they would be better opening longer during the Summer and closong more in the Winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

how much is the museum and is it any good. only ever see if when having my bottle outside in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Snacker wrote: »
    how much is the museum and is it any good. only ever see if when having my bottle outside in the evenings

i do the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From their homepage
    www.galwaycitymuseum.ie
    WE'VE REOPENED!
    Galway City Museum is once again open to the public, following major redevelopment of all three stories!

Our new exhibitions include: Routes to the Past (Prehistoric Galway); Galway Within the Walls (Medieval Galway); Pádraic Ó Conaire: the Man and the Statue; Lamb in Connemara (Paintings by Charles Lamb); Dance Hall Days; Cinema in Galway; the Arts in Galway; and Modern Languages (Craft Exhibition).

The Museum is situated behind the famous Spanish Arch, overlooking the River Corrib and the ancient Claddagh village.
    OPENING HOURS
    Tuesday to Saturday: 10am to 5pm
    Sunday & Monday: CLOSED
    FREE ADMISSION

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

biko wrote: »
    From their homepage
    www.galwaycitymuseum.ie

Thanks biko. Seems you're as good at helping people out as well are you are at shooting tham down haha

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

liamhana wrote: »
    Musuem open 10-5 Tues-Sat. Full of new exhibitions in the last number of weeks and its still free.
    Oh and seeing as you just want to make cheap shots. The council doesnt close for lunch any day or at 4 each day or at 1 on fridays or for the month of august....

Strange how a Museum doesn't open on a Sunday, which you'd imagine might be the most popular day of the week to visit for families. Oh, and can't take a joke? Touchy, touchy..!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

The Lamb in Connemara exhibition is fantastic. Highly recommended. The museum is a great space, I love that there is a reading nook with an armchair and a selection of books on the 1st floor with amazing views of the claddagh and beyond. It would be great if they opened late at least one evening a week! Any time I have been there lately it's been quite busy but not wildly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

Snacker wrote: »

Are the bottles the reason for your poor grammar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Galway City Museum

A Chairde,
    In response to the original query about our visitor figures: our 'peak' this summer was nearly 1500 (1483 to be exact), not 15,000 as quoted earlier on these boards (Louvre would'nt have that many!). 1500 visitors would constitute a very busy day and would put us at the top of the league table of Museum visitor figures in the country, outside of the National Museums. Our average attendance throughout summer would be between 700-900 visitors per day, still very high. The feedback to our new exhibitions has been very positive this year. With regard to our opening hours: we open Tues - Sat, 10am - 5pm. Unfortunately we cannot open 6 or 7 days a week because we do not have the staff compliment to do this (we currenly have 5 members of staff - this compares with upwards of 40 in the National institutions). While it seems that a Sunday would prove a better day to open our experience does not bear this out - two years ago , with a greater staff compliment, we were open on Sundays and our attendance figures showed that Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri and Sat were busier days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Had breakfast in the Kitchen at the museum yesterday and had the finest pancakes in Galway :D

Anyway around 50 people walked up to the museum doors and had to walk away in the hour I was there (12-1)

Advertisement