Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a Video Card + Power Supply

Options
  • 09-08-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I currently have a Powercolor ATI Radeon HD4850 OC 1GB DDR3 graphics card in a Core 2 Duo PC with a 600w power supply which is approximately 3 years old.

As payment for a job I recently did I am being given a brand new Core i5 PC/4gb ram with a 350w power supply with onboard graphics.

I have been given a choice of these two graphics cards with the new pc.
    ATI Fire Pro V3800 512mb
    Nvidia Quadro FX580 512MB

I like a bit of gaming now and again, CODMW etc. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means.

Is it worth my while using one of the 512mb cards instead of my current 1gb card in the core i5 pc or would they be inferior for gaming?

Also, I plan on using 3 HDD's in the new machine, will a 350w power supply be enough to power 3 hdd's and the video card or should I take the 600w out of my current machine and use it in the new machine instead? Or alternatively should I buy a brand new power supply for the new pc?

All feedback appreciated thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

those aren't consumer gaming orientated cards and won't be as good as your 4850 I reckon. swap the PSU into the new pc too. 350w will be fine for a dual core and a low powered card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could sell the 4850 and quadro for an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Put HD4850 and 600W with Core i5, thats enough for your occasional gaming and many HDDs.

Then 350W + one of those business graphics with Core 2 Duo makes perfect secondary rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Brilliant advice lads, thanks for that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crosseye

On a similar note I have a 275Watt power supply (Dell Optiplex 755 ,small form, Intel Core Duo E7300 @ 2.66GHz with 1.95GB RAM). Is that enough power to comfortably run a Radeon HD 6450 IGB DDR3 (with fan)? The computer has 1 hard drive, 1 optical drive and nothing else of note.

• Advertisement
Advertisement