Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inconsiderate parking

• 09-08-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm driving through the Phoenix park today and there must have been something on in the Zoo cause the place was thronged. No respect shown, the cycle lanes on either side of the road with loads of cars just parked in them & not a care in the world by the drivers. There is even bloody double yellow lines here, how thick can they all be!!! This in particular bugs me because now I'm cycling in and out this way most days, and even delivery vans doing it in the city bound lane "just for a few minutes" in the morning cause a dangerous hazard as the bikes have to dash out to the middle of the road to pass them by.

And big deal, there were a few stickers put on the offenders cars today by the park ranger. No fine, no clamp, nothing to bother about really, they will just do it again because they didn't care in the first place anyway!!!

I'm sure there are loads of other cycle lanes like this and it's not really good enough, this city needs to sort something out and put proper cycle tracks in, and not just paint stupid lines in roads that give cars a lane the with of the drivers seat!!

see the rest of my rant on parking here!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73725726#post73725726

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Complain to the OPW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

stevieob wrote: »
    There is even bloody double yellow lines

Must have been some crash:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

I cycle that route everyday! If it's really bad unclip and run my cleat along the side of the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I cycle home through the park every day. Biggest problem I feel is pedestrians in the cycle lanes. Especially small kids. Can they not see the cycle lane signs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Went to the zoo today (parked properly and all), was quite surprised that all the rangers did was put stickers on cars, why not ticket them at the very least?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Redmond101

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I cycle home through the park every day. Biggest problem I feel is pedestrians in the cycle lanes. Especially small kids. Can they not see the cycle lane signs?

I shout really loud when I get close to people waking in the cycle lane, scares the **** out people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Time to whip out the mtb and start cycling across roof tops

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's no law prohbiting you from walking in the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The rangers were out stickering in force over the weekend. However this afternoon there were 3 garda vans and 2 cars parked on the cycle lane and double yellow lines right inside the gate outside the bike hire place.

Sure if you have that happening you can't blame Joe Public doing it. I was going to take a photo but an unmarked car just pulled infront of the rest so didn't want to risk upsetting them. This had been a problem with the gardai ever since the new courts opened, they get, or did get, stickered too. But they're learning, they used to park fully on the footpath, now it's just the cycle lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There's no law prohbiting you from walking in the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park.

So what? Therea no law against walking on the road but I bet you don't do that. Use some common sense ffs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So what? Therea no law against walking on the road but I bet you don't do that. Use some common sense ffs

There wouldn't be much common sense to walking on the road, would there? Especially when there's a perfectly good cycle path to walk on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Redmond101 wrote:
    I shout really loud when I get close to people waking in the cycle lane, scares the **** out people

Ooh, tough guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Redmond101 wrote: »

You should get yourself a nice little bell, it's a lot easier on the vocal chords and you don't scare anyone, so everyone wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Lumen wrote: »
    Ooh, tough guy.

9294638.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You do know it's a park? A recreational space, right?

Relax, enjoy it and enjoy other people enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Well done, you look a right tool doing that kinda **** and what's worse you implicate the rest of us by association. Two wrongs don't make a right you know.

By the way, were you seriously advocating vandalism to the parked cars?! FFS, grow up! The Park aint perfect but it's a great amenity. Dickheads breed dickheads it seems and your actions just breed hostility toward cyclists generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I cycle that route everyday! If it's really bad unclip and run my cleat along the side of the car!

In all fairness I wouldn't do that. Just because they are breaking the law doesn't mean you have to, that is criminal damage.
    Went to the zoo today (parked properly and all), was quite surprised that all the rangers did was put stickers on cars, why not ticket them at the very least?

Stupidity, i guess most people wouldn't pay anyway so there is no point, but I do agree, it is something they should do.
    bogmanfan wrote: »

Wrecks my head

Once or twice I've given a yell to say it's a cycle lane. More than anything it is dangerous them being there for their own sake.

No there isn't but a bit of common sense. Maybe a few signs asking people to use the footpath for their own safety.
    Vélo wrote: »
    You should get yourself a nice little bell, it's a lot easier on the vocal chords and you don't scare anyone, so everyone wins.

Not exactly something I am going to put on my Racer. Might suit a town bike or somehting but it aint going on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

stevieob wrote: »
    Not exactly something I am going to put on my Racer. Might suit a town bike or somehting but it aint going on mine
    Tough ****e so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tough ****e so.

nothing tough about it at all actually, plenty of fibre in my diet!!!

Advertisement