Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disc Brakes

• 09-08-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some help.

My front disc brake on my road bike isn't stopping me properly.

When I pull the brakes the bike keeps traveling as I pull as hard as I can on the lever, as the bike eventually slows down it shudders and makes a shrieking noise.

The Cannondale bike is only a few weeks old and I have used Bikehuts Disc Brake spray, but it makes no difference.

I just wanted to know if there something obvious I can do to save me the hassle of bringing it back to the shop.

Thanks again in advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

John_Rambo wrote: »

When I pull the brakes the bike keeps traveling as I pull as hard as I can on the lever, as the bike eventually slows down it shudders and makes a shrieking noise.

The Cannondale bike is only a few weeks old and I have used Bikehuts Disc Brake spray, but it makes no difference.

I just wanted to know if there something obvious I can do to save me the hassle of bringing it back to the shop.

Thanks again in advice.
    Are they hydraulic disk brakes or mechanical , if hydraulic is there any sign whatsoever of fluid escaping ? either from the reservoir on the brake handle or elsewhere. Also is there anychance the break pads could of come into contact with oil ?

If you are competent usually there is a pin that you can pull out to release the brake pads and you can pull them out to check them .

Also is the actual brake disc nice and solid to the wheel hub , one of mine was slightly loose recently and i noticed a difference in stopping power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

John_Rambo wrote: »

Thanks again in advice.

disk brake on a road bike? either way what is this spray you used? if its a lubricant spray and you used it directly on the rotor + caliper youre going to have to buy new brake pads as well as a new rotor, good rule of thumb for disk brakes is to not put any sort of liquid near them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks Outkast, they are hydraulic, no sign of any leakage, the pads are good and the disc is rock solid on the wheel.

Thanks Icyseanfitz, is there something wrong with disc brakes on a road bike? I didn't know it was a bad idea? I sprayed them with Bikehuts disc spray which is a disc brake cleaner after the problem occured, so it's not the cause. I have cycled in the liquid rain and they have worked fine afterwards, I don't know what is going on with them now.

Did you put it upside down to wash it recently ? with hydraulic brakes it can lead to air in the line if the resevoir wasnt topped up to the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just that road bikes dont generally use them from what ive seen mostly mtb's that have em,
    what make are the brakes? do the two pads/pistons in the brake caliper compress when you pull the lever? any weird noises? how easy does the lever pull as in is there any resistance when your holding it hard?

• Advertisement

No Outkast, the bike has never been inverted, but thanks for the heads up. The brakes are Tektro Auriga Subs and there is resistance when I pull hard, as the bike eventually slows there is a shrieking noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning brake rotors. It sounds like there is oil on there. Another method of cleaning is to ride the bike with the brake slightly on, or downhill and brake on to heat the pads and rotor. Stop the bike and splash water on the whole lot. Repeat a few times until the brake works as it should. If this doesn't do a lot after 5 or 6 attempts, I'd bin the pads after fixing the oil leak problem.
    It would be an idea to bleed the brakes or top up the fluid before you put in new pads, in case you spill anything.

Thanks triggermortis, I will try the first few methods and leave the rest to the shops if they don't work...

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

It shouldnt make any difference if brakes are upside down or not. They are a sealed unit. You d often see lads doing repairs with bike upside down. I in my stupidness years ago sprayed my rear cassette with spray oil. The vapor got onto the disc. Cleaned and emeryied pads and sprayed alcohol on discs but Ended up changing pads after all that .... Put your rear pads onto the front and see braking is back at normal operation. if this is not the case Then its more than likely a seal or something gone and causing your problems

dev100 wrote: »
    It shouldnt make any difference if brakes are upside down or not. They are a sealed unit. You d often see lads doing repairs with bike upside down. I in my stupidness years ago sprayed my rear cassette with spray oil. The vapor got onto the disc. Cleaned and emeryied pads and sprayed alcohol on discs but Ended up changing pads after all that .... Put your rear pads onto the front and see braking is back at normal operation. if this is not the case Then its more than likely a seal or something gone and causing your problems
    yes it does make a differnce if the bike was upside down, if the resevoir wasnt topped up to the max , the air that would normally stay in the resevoir can easily make its way elsewhere when the bike is inverted . Shimano and other brake makers all of them give out that info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

yes it does make a differnce if the bike was upside down, if the resevoir wasnt topped up to the max , the air that would normally stay in the resevoir can easily make its way elsewhere when the bike is inverted . Shimano and other brake makers all of them give out that info

Fair enough I take your point. If the resevoir isnt at its max this may happen. But since The Op has never inverted bike and that its only a few weeks old. Id doubt the manufacturer doesnt have the oil at the correct level.

Ah... good one on swapping the pads Dev. I might do that if I get a chance (lots going on at the moment). Thanks a million.

Advertisement