Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2011 Martin Earley Tour of Kildare

• 09-08-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

The 2011 Martin Earley Tour of Kildare takes place this Sunday the 14th August. The Tour of Kildare started in 2002 with about 20 cyclists taking part. This has grown steadily over the years with 450 signing on last year. This years tour will include all the factors that have helped make the Tour of Kildare a success over the years. Good back-up, a friendly atmosphere, a mainly flat but challenging route and a burger when you finish in the Naas Court Hotel Courtyard. We will also be offering participants the opportunity to cycle with one of Ireland's most successful cyclists Martin Earley. Martin is one of the few Irish cyclists to have won a stage in both Le Tour and the Giro d'Italia and will probably be found spinning away in the lead group next Sunday.
    This years Tour of Kildare covers three distances: 100, 50 and 20kms with sign on for the 100k and 50k opening at 8.30 am for a 10am start while 20k starts at 12 noon. Entry fees have been reduced this year with entry for the 100 and 50km costing €25 (Under 16's on the 50km is €15). Its €10 for an adult on the 20km family cycle and €5 per child up to a maximum of €20 per family. Enter on the morning of the cycle or pre register online at: http://mariekeating.ie/2572/martin-earley-tour-of-kildare-14th-august-2011
    All proceeds go to the Marie Keating Foundation. For detailed route and other information log on to: www.naascyclingclub.com (Look under Leisure Tours) or http://www.facebook.com/tourofkildare?sk=wall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Are there any water stops on the 100k or does everyone fend for themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Assuming it hasn't changed since 2009, there's a foodstop and a water stop. It'll be neutralised for the first 30km to the foodstop, which I remember being pretty good, and afterward all hell breaks loose. There's a water stop somewhere about the 80km mark I think? Couple of folks with a few tables set up at the side of the road, I remember flying straight past it and taking a second to register what it was :)

Great event though, sorry I missed it last year. Hope the weather is good, looking forward to the bbq at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Waterstop just as you come across the Curragh I think. I tried to grab a bottle without stopping last year. did not end well :D

It's good craic, gets pretty fast if you can hang on (which I couldn't).
    Nice crowd, great Burger at the end, plus a t-shirt. Worth a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I'll probably do this again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 therightstuff

The group is neutralized as far a feed stop after Maynooth where everyone halts. After that its every cyclist for themselves as far The Curragh where there is a smaller stop. At the end in Naas there is a nice burger on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'll be there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Can you sign up on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Ryaner wrote: »
    Can you sign up on the day?
    Haldir wrote: »
    The 2011 Martin Earley Tour of Kildare takes place this Sunday the 14th August. The Tour of Kildare started in 2002 with about 20 cyclists taking part. This has grown steadily over the years with 450 signing on last year. This years tour will include all the factors that have helped make the Tour of Kildare a success over the years. Good back-up, a friendly atmosphere, a mainly flat but challenging route and a burger when you finish in the Naas Court Hotel Courtyard. We will also be offering participants the opportunity to cycle with one of Ireland's most successful cyclists Martin Earley. Martin is one of the few Irish cyclists to have won a stage in both Le Tour and the Giro d'Italia and will probably be found spinning away in the lead group next Sunday.
    This years Tour of Kildare covers three distances: 100, 50 and 20kms with sign on for the 100k and 50k opening at 8.30 am for a 10am start while 20k starts at 12 noon. Entry fees have been reduced this year with entry for the 100 and 50km costing €25 (Under 16's on the 50km is €15). Its €10 for an adult on the 20km family cycle and €5 per child up to a maximum of €20 per family. Enter on the morning of the cycle or pre register online at: http://mariekeating.ie/2572/martin-earley-tour-of-kildare-14th-august-2011
    All proceeds go to the Marie Keating Foundation. For detailed route and other information log on to: www.naascyclingclub.com (Look under Leisure Tours) or http://www.facebook.com/tourofkildare?sk=wall

'Nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

cython wrote: »
    'Nuff said

Thanks. Missed the bit in there about signing on on the day. Busy past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Free parking is available at Kildare County Council's Car Park on the Newbridge Road while changing rooms and showers are available at the Town Hall on the main street.

parking.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Haldir wrote: »
    Free parking is available at Kildare County Council's Car Park on the Newbridge Road while changing rooms and showers are available at the Town Hall on the main street.

parking.jpg

what's the capacity of the car park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

xz wrote: »
    what's the capacity of the car park?

I'm not sure exactly but from the occasions I visit Kildare County Council I reckon about 300 car parking spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

vektarman wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly but from the occasions I visit Kildare County Council I reckon about 300 car parking spaces.

Well I'm gonna need at least 4 spaces for my support vehicle (07 citroen berlingo) warm up area + privacy screens.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

they had me at 'burger'....if my alarm clock works im going to give this a go. weather looking good for the day so should be a nice day out.

Is the sign on at Town Hall or Naas Court Hotel?

Is the sign on at Town Hall or Naas Court Hotel?

Sign on, start and finish is at the Naas Court Hotel from 8.30am. Cycle leaves at 10am. The Town Hall is only a hundred yards away (see map) and changing rooms and showers are available there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

See ya'll tomorrow guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭moggs1972

great day out, well run event but god the pace was high after the first stop. 100k in 3:12, average 32kmph. got soaked twice, left the rain cape in the car...that was not my finest move tho wonder if i would have had time to put it on :D. well done to the organisers for a fine event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice little event. Great organisation for €25. Everything from the setup to the food stop really puts the WW200 to shame. The IVCA need to get some serious sponsorship to up their game. Enjoyed the neutralised mass start. Plenty of jockeying for position going on.

My aim was a 28.57 average. "Super happy" would have been 30km/h. 30.3km/h in the end, against an irritating headwind. So, very happy.

First event with the Garmin too, great to have this level of feedback.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/106414276

One thing that struck me was the maaahoooosive difference that riding in a group makes when there's a headwind. Easily pulled an extra 5km/h without any effort when I got picked up by passing groups. When I lost them, drop in speed and much more effort to keep up.

Problem was that I kept doing silly things that would slow me down at the back of a group, I'd drop 10m behind, the headwind would catch me and then I had no hope of rejoining the group. About 20km from the end I got picked up by a passing group (including a "boardsie" from someone), thought "Grand, this'll take me home in great time". At one point I was at the back of the group behind two women. By the time I realised they weren't actually in the group, I was 15m behind and being dropped painfully slowly. Just didn't have the fuel in the tank to pull it back. I'll know for next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Anyone have any info on the guy that came off in Kilmeague?

Looked like a really nasty spill, roads were very slippery at the time, his bike looked mangled, and he did not look to be in good condition:(

I think he was wearing a Banbridge cycling jersey, not too sure about this.

• Advertisement

Good workout. Skipped the foodstop and kept going. Had one other guy with me sharing the work who unfortunately fell off my wheel after about 15k and I spent the next 20/30k in no mans land fighting the wind on my own. Came in in 3h 15. About 1k outside Naas, nearly home, fannying with the bike computer and I hit the deck. Gob****e. No damage to anything but my skin thankfully!

Few Boards.ie's about. Spotted XZ in his Bray Wheelers gear and spun along with Communist Jawgap for a while!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Enjoyed that too. Well run event with decent support.
    2h56 excluding the food stop in Kilcock ~33kmph average.

My answer to the questions posed on "the Wall" I was in 39x21 (two sprockets to go) where it said 34x27, and my HR was 97%/176bpm :)

I also noticed that no one has yet put a segment for "the Wall" on Strava. Google maps streetview was getting fineky with me when I was trying to find the "top" of the hill.

Plastik wrote: »
    and spun along with Communist Jawgap for a while!
    I'm assuming there weren't two Communists out in which case I cycled beside/in or around him during the neutralised section. It was certainly a distinctive jersey. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Could be a different one, but the two guys I spent the last 10km with said that a group of kids were standing at the side of the road with their hands out. The rider was fairly tipping along and went in to give the kids a high five but instead hit the kerb, flipping himself over and skittling 5 or 6 other riders.

Could be a different incident, but there otherwise didn't seem to be many crashes today, which is always good.

Saw the Soviet Jersey alright, but couldn't remember who it was! Gave him a nod anyway as I was heading back to my car.

Good workout. Skipped the foodstop and kept going. Had one other guy with me sharing the work who unfortunately fell off my wheel after about 15k and I spent the next 20/30k in no mans land fighting the wind on my own. Came in in 3h 15. About 1k outside Naas, nearly home, fannying with the bike computer and I hit the deck. Gob****e. No damage to anything but my skin thankfully!

Few Boards.ie's about. Spotted XZ in his Bray Wheelers gear and spun along with Communist Jawgap for a while!

Thought you had stopped at foodstop and left with David, from the Curragh, back to Naas, I put the hammer down a bit trying to catch up with you, thought everyone else was right on my wheel, ended up on my own coming back into Naas, I had dropped everyone......my bad:rolleyes:

Must say , it was great day out, well marshalled, especially at the greasy bends and roundabouts, with the marshals verbally warning everyone, foodstop was well organised, and no queuing, despite the numbers there, managed to grab a bottle on the go in the Curragh, the guys there were great at this, obviously expecting people to grab on the go. My wife loved the choclates in the goody bag, and the Burger at the end was gratefully received (again, fast moving, very little queuing). A big thanks to Naas C.C. for putting on a really well organised and fun day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Thought you had stopped at foodstop and left with David, from the Curragh, back to Naas, I put the hammer down a bit trying to catch up with you, thought everyone else was right on my wheel, ended up on my own coming back into Naas, I had dropped everyone......my bad:rolleyes:

Must say , it was great day out, well marshalled, especially at the greasy bends and roundabouts, with the marshals verbally warning everyone, foodstop was well organised, and no queuing, despite the numbers there, managed to grab a bottle on the go in the Curragh, the guys there were great at this, obviously expecting people to grab on the go. My wife loved the choclates in the goody bag, and the Burger at the end was gratefully received (again, fast moving, very little queuing). A big thanks to Naas C.C. for putting on a really well organised and fun day out.

Really well organised, great bit of grub and a very nice atmosphere. Convinced I missed a turn somewhere after prosperous as I caught up with a group that were way ahead of me around the 60-65k mark. Garmin showed 96k in 3:14. Would definitely do again

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

really nice day out. have to say the 100k sportif with no mountains is a great idea :D.. met seamus and velo on my travels and was good to put faces to the names. took it handy for first 50k and joined in with a nice bunch from bray wheelers for a bit. then decided to give it full gas for the second 50 and went solo to the finish. averaged about 34kph for the second half which i was dead chuffed with seeing as i was on my todd. well organised event and will definitely be back next year.

First time doing this event, have to agree that the marshaling was spot on. If I was to pick a fault though, why is there a foodstop at 30k? I realise that it's halfway on the 50k route but it's way, way to early for everyone else. Especially seeing as the whole trip is pace controlled to this point.

100k should have been let go at 9/9.30 with a short stop around the 60k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Can anyone stick up a google map pinpoint of 'the wall'?
    Heard about it a few times but no idea where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Enjoyed that.
    First time doing a sportif and first time riding in a group.
    Got with a group of 3 others after the food stop and the pace was really moving at 35k with.. The difference was massive when we got seperated and I was on my own for a long while fighting the wind.

Reckon I'll do that again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Great event and that was me with Soviet geansey!

Very well organised - no delays at the sign on or getting the goodie bags and burgers afterwards. Marshalling was excellent and the neutralised start made for a nice atmosphere.

At one stage I thought I was jinxed - two or three riders took a tumble in front of me in Clane, then another in Maynooth, again after Kilcock and then on the run in I see Plastik dusting himself off at the side of the road. Hope everyone involved was ok.

I'd agree with the comments about the food stops - maybe one at 30 for the 50km riders and one at 60 for the 100km riders.

"The Wall" was the big hill at about 63km (I think) and in response to the question, I was "sur la plaque" - 50 x 23 - but only because I grossly underestimated the gradient and thought I could big ring it - then once I realised my mistake it was too late to change down so I just had to live with it.

Definitely one for next year when I hope to improve on my time of 3:15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 esox21

Does anyone know the site of the guy who was taking pics while riding in the tour of Kildare today, i was too knackered to take it in, told me he posts pics on his site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

http://www.sportactive.net/

Pics not up yet but usually puts tons up

Pics will be on Sportactive Site later in the week...
    http://www.sportactive.net/index.php?option=com_mydyngallery&Itemid=60&lang=en
    There will also be some pics later in the week on...
    www.facebook.com/naascyclingclub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

Looked like a really nasty spill, roads were very slippery at the time, his bike looked mangled, and he did not look to be in good condition:(

Speaking to this guy's friends in the hotel afterwards and they said he broke his hip. Poor guy!
    Excellent day out though.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Can anyone stick up a google map pinpoint of 'the wall'?
    Heard about it a few times but no idea where it is.
    This is pretty much the wall, it was around 70-73km into the route. It's only about 500m long, but it is very steep in parts.

baap86 wrote: »
    Speaking to this guy's friends in the hotel afterwards and they said he broke his hip. Poor guy!
    I think this guy (or another poor unfortunate!) took his spill behind me, so I didn't see much, only the colour of his jersey as I looked around to see what the clatter was. Just coming down the hill before the right hand bend his back wheel seemed to slide out, possibly trying to take the turn a little too quickly for the conditions. A few of the gang that set out with me were either behind him, or happened on it shortly after it happened, so stayed with him for a while, and one of the girls got a text from him when she got back to Naas to say that he had indeed broken his hip. Wishing him a speedy recovery anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Did it in 2.54 excluding a few minutes at the food stop, so well pleased with my first sub-3 hour 100k. It's a lot easier on the flat........
    Would agree that the food stop is too early for the 100k, so maybe that will be looked at for next year.
    Great crowd out, weather not too bad (only two wettings!) and not too wrecked afterwards.

Hope the injured are back on the road soon.

Big thanks to all marshalls, helpers and all at Naas CC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Super Freak viewpost.gif

Looked like a really nasty spill, roads were very slippery at the time, his bike looked mangled, and he did not look to be in good conditionfrown.gif

Poor guy, not nice.
    I suspected that he had broken his pelvis by the way he was lying on the road. Quite horrible to see.

Get well soon mate!!!! Get well soon.

Pics are up on sportactive.net

Big thumbs up from Super Freak :pac:
    1142.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Yay I found a picture of myself heading in for some brack. Cheers for letting us know Super Freak

170940.jpg

Enjoying the spin:
    1172.JPG
    Got into a nice bunch with a load of Swords riders shortly after this, then continued with two of them after they (we) dropped the rest of them on the first "hill".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Vélo wrote: »
    170940.jpg

Wow! That's some hill! And it doesn't look like you're suffering at all...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Wow! That's some hill! And it doesn't look like you're suffering at all...

I found it easy enough this year, it is steep but it's fairly short. It must have been the training I got in Wales, some seriously tough hills over there, much steeper and much longer.

Happily wheelsucking after getting stuck on the front of a train for way too long after Kilcock and subsequently burning out.
    1227.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

It was a brilliant day out on the bike, well done to Naas CC for an excellent event!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

Pics are up on sportactive.net

Big thumbs up from Super Freak :pac:
    1142.JPG

Looking good OH

Advertisement