Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SRam Shifters and derailleur Installation

• 09-08-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hello

I have all the cables routed ,

I have tried to install the derailleur ...

does anybody know how to adjust Sram red Rear derailleur and get the proper tension

the shifters will move to a certian point and stop ?

please reply below , links will be helpful also /// I have looked at sram web
    to no avail

thanking you

Laz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's no different from any other rear derailleur.

Limit screws first, then cable tension.

For the cable tension, screw in the barrel adjuster, slacken it off completely with the shifter, fix the cable end, tension it by screwing out with the barrel adjuster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Re rear derailleur

Hello

I am having problems with the shifters as i cannot shift them up to the third gear and no further

regards

CH

ps Sram shifters are aquard to get used to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

You might just be better off swallowing the pride and popping into your local bike shop with the job thus far. You really don't want to break an expensive component just in pursuit of that 'i built it myself!' feeling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

+1 on the bike shop idea,thats what theyre there for after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Mounting and adjusting SRAM shifters is very straightforward, follow the service guide from their website. The last time I had to do it (broken shifter) I had it on in 15 minutes and raced it 45 minutes later. If you are still struggling with it, take oflahero's advice

• Advertisement

Holyboy wrote: »
    +1 on the bike shop idea,thats what theyre there for after all.

No, bike shops are for wheelbuilding. :pac:

Here's a video:

the local bike shop is also the club that I race with,

and the others shops have staff that race also.
    :p

so thats defitenly a no,

this is after all a secret build :pac: , and its for the next race. (suprise them all :>)

I have an idea, I can get somebody to help ,

The right leaver > Rear derailleur.

EDIT:I have the derailleur in line, with the lowest cog, Ive tigthen the cable so tight i could stum it, then i progressively loosed it and kept trying the gears but it would not shift.

the problem is that when you shift the right lever up past the third gear it doesent move any higher. is it that the sram lever shifs up in blocks of 2,???????

I suppose im a sram virgin, and have only ridden 105s before.

I am going to try it myself, carefully that is,

thanks for the kind replys

Laz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Make sure you have the cable properly routed around the cable guide [about 1.30 & 3.38] in the video above and not just exiting from the cable housing straight through the pinch bolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

Have you set the limit screws? Sounds to me like you could be up against the high limit screw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

With no tension on the cable, or no cable, the derailleur should be at the smallest sized cog. If it's not getting there, you have a limit screw issue. Similarly, if you try to push the derailleur by hand to the largest cog, this should also work. If not, the other limit screw needs to be changed.

The cable should make no difference to this, and doesn't need a lot of tension to move from the smallest cog up a few steps.

• Advertisement

I realised that you need to peddle to move the gears, how silly of me,

I also loosened the limit screws, I have no idea what is the correct setting for them? ie how tight each screw should be.

anyhow , thanks for the assistance

CH

ps any tips with the front derailleur?

thanks

CH

Lazairus wrote: »
    I also loosened the limit screws, I have no idea what is the correct setting for them? ie how tight each screw should be.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

I detect an aptitude problem. I think you should take it to a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't worry, sounds like you are well on your way to achieving that goal of surprising your clubmates...

...by showing up on a bike that isn't fit to race on.

Go to the shop and save yourself the potential embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

OP, EVERYTHING you need to know is in the video which Lumen linked. No one here is going to be able to give you better instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

As per a previous post you don't have the cable routed correctly in the mech. You have it going directly to the bolt not through the guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

troll, has to be

coulda saved it for friday

Advertisement