Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused. Help!!!!

• 09-08-2011 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Okay i have a 14 hour contract next year for Maths. These are my hours. Today to my horror i saw a job advertised for 11 hours in Maths in the same school!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please someone tell me why am i not getting some of these hours???? It will be my 3rd year in the school next year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well it could be any number of reasons. Schools seems to have a policy in the last number of years of keeping teachers on low hours. Means teachers are more flexible in terms of timetabling, and the ones on low hours are willing to work to try and get more hours the following year.

They could also put it to you that if you were given 8 more hours that a 3 hour job wouldn't be viable and they wouldn't get anyone for the position. You'll possibly also be told that some of the classes are blocked opposite yours. I'd imagine all classes in your school with maybe the exception of first years are blocked which means you're not available to take them anyway.

Don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you a definitive reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I'd agree with Rainbowtrout.....its probably timetabling issues, plus offering less than 11 hrs to someone else isn't that attractive, even though in the current job market even less hrs would be snapped up.

Don't take it as a slight on you and 14 hrs isn't bad if they are your own hours. (I spent my first year after the Hdip on a miserable timetable of 7 hrs with an odd bit of subbing which probably made my average week 9 hrs, working every day so wasn't able to look for hrs elsewhere to combine. It was tough and I drank a lot of coffee that year but got a PWT on the strenght of it so hang in there!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'd say it's just a question of them being able to get another teacher in. Like RH149 said, offering less than 11 hours would make it hard for them to get decent applicants for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Maybe a Maths teacher in your school is going on job-sharing or is losing hours for a particular reason e.g. a teacher in our school was on reduced hours for a few years as she was doing behaviour management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

In our school, maths classes are all streamed, so there would be no way of offering all of these hours to the same person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement