Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wire for shed light/sockets.

• 09-08-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All

I want to price up the materials to wire my shed.

I have an idea what I need but one item I am not too sure about.

I will have 8, 5ft twin tube fluorescent lights is it ok to use the normal flat type twin and earth or round flex.

same for the sockets.

I wont be wiring it myself I will be getting an electrican. I just want to price around.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I want to price up the materials to wire my shed.

I have an idea what I need but one item I am not too sure about.

I will have 8, 5ft twin tube fluorescent lights is it ok to use the normal flat type twin and earth or round flex.

same for the sockets.

I wont be wiring it myself I will be getting an electrican. I just want to price around.

Thanks

Unless your shed is massive the materials bill for hooking up sockets / lights is going to be quite small. The slightly more expensive items would be the lights (depending on what you go for) and a small distribution board (again depending on how its done).

To answer your question, yep 1.5mm T&E cable can be used for the lights and 2.5mm T&E cable can be used for the sockets. Depending on how the cable is run / protected you might not want to use "Flat" T&E, you might want to use NYMJ cable which is round and looks neater when run on the surface.

If I was you I would use 20mm plastic conduit, its cheap, easy to work with and looks grand once its all finished/complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi

Thanks for the reply, Shed is 1000sqFt so its a fair size.

Was planning on using conduit on the wiring for the sockets as that will be seen as for the lights I was thinking t&e and no conduit as I am way over budget as is.

was going to go for lights like these

http://cgi.ebay.ie/5-ft-2x-58W-T8-IP65-Complete-Fluorescent-Light-Fitting-/150547758442

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭wait4me

That's no shed - my son would call it a pretty big man-cave! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

use nymj

get the t8 lites from the wholesaler-i've had to return some lately

if you got some high efficiency t5's with reflectors in them-you'd save money in the long term

Advertisement