Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple server for Xbox

Options
  • 09-08-2011 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using FreeNAS 0.7 for the home server - running on a little atom motherboard, and it's working ok, quite happy with it, indeed.

However, I was using the Xbox and tried out the media centre extender thing on it, which, as far as I can tell, is a piggyback to Media Centre running on my laptop.

Truth be told, it was great! Much better than the media server thing that the freenas offered.

AND, I've decided to do away with the media PC in the sitting room and use the xbox as the media centre.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is converting the media PC into a server(core 2 duo), running windows 7 all the time (24/7) and just hanging the heap of hard drives onto it.

That way I can use the xbox with the media centre interface.

SO, what have I missed?

It looks too easy, is W7 bad at being a server? Will the network drivers cope? It'll all be cat5e so no physical problems that I can forsee.

I might even sell the atom mb and recover a few quid.

Comments

W7 is fine as server software. Just follow some of tutorials available to strip it down as much as possible to keep cpu usage low and also to disable stuff like indexing, search, superfetch and scheduled tasks such as defragmenting.
    personally i would use the atom board as the server and sell the c2d. If the atom board is lacking sata ports just get a pci port replicator card.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

W7 is fine as server software. Just follow some of tutorials available to strip it down as much as possible to keep cpu usage low and also to disable stuff like indexing, search, superfetch and scheduled tasks such as defragmenting.
    personally i would use the atom board as the server and sell the c2d. If the atom board is lacking sata ports just get a pci port replicator card.

Oh, the atom board is a fair spec, it even has gigabit ethernet. I may as well stick with it, so, it has been running freenas very well for near 2 years.

Thanks!

I'll look those tutorials up - so long as they don't feck up the media centre running.

Advertisement