Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing for spina bifida in Ireland

Options
  • 09-08-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I was watching the sex education show on channel 4 and they said that they can detect 90% of spina bifida in the first scan (10-14th week) in the UK.

Does this happen automatically in Ireland or is it a case of paying 250ish specifically in the Rotunda like it is for Down's syndrome?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If a scan is offered between then they'll spot it at that scan, if not it should be spotted at the anomaly scan near the 20th week of pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭b743k

Thanks January. Apparently I've a 1 in 25 chance of having a baby with spina bifida so I was hoping that I'd know before the birth if the baby was affected to be prepared for it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

b743k wrote: »
    Thanks January. Apparently I've a 1 in 25 chance of having a baby with spina bifida so I was hoping that I'd know before the birth if the baby was affected to be prepared for it all.

I think there's a strong chance you'll know before the baby is born. If they miss it on the 12 week scan, they'll surely be able to pick it up at the 20 week one. Have they told you if there are any further tests you have to do when they told you had a chance of having a baby with spina bifida? Best of luck with it all xx

I haven't been for any tests or scans yet, just GP.

My chances are based on the fact that I have spina bifida but luckily it's mild. Anyone who has it or has a child with it has a 1 in 25 chance of having a baby with it. Hopefully the increased dose of folic acid that I was prescribed a few months before conception will help too.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I think since you have a higher risk they will be extra careful at scans in looking for problems, you may even be scanned at twelve weeks just to make sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Despite taking folic acid, my youngest daughter has spina bifida and hydrocephalus. I didn't have my first scan till 20 weeks, and it was detected then. I didn't have to have any other tests, other than travel to Holles St, where they had a higher resonance scan machine. For this pregnancy I took the really high dose of folic acid for ages before I actually fell pregnant. My GP said this would dramatically decrease the chance of another baby being effected. I'd my 14 week scan 2 weeks ago, the woman took a really good look at the baby's head and spine, and as far as could be seen, all looks well. The spine looks good, and baby's head is of normal size. She didn't tell me 100% that everything's OK, and said that the 20week scan will tell for sure. But I got the feeling that she was just erring on the side of caution, in case she should have to tell me otherwise at my 20 week scan. I've been googling mad, and the earlier scan usually would pick up any defect of the spine, according to what I've found. Please God this is the case anyway:).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bear in mind too that there is a range of disability associated with spina bifida, from the worst case scenario to spina bifida occulta which can cause no problems at all. So the risk of serious s.b. is even lower. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That's very true. My daughter actually has the worst form of spina bifida, but because of the position of the lesion on her spine, ie. its just above her bottom, she can walk and run and lead a normal life. Her main problems would be bowel and bladder control. Also, she has learning difficulties etc associated with the hydrocephalus, but nothing major. I'm extremely thankful for how lucky she is, as I know things could have been far, far worse. I was told it was likely thanks to taking the normal dose of folic acid, that she is as well, and high functioning as she is.

Thanks for all of the helpful comments, they're putting my mind a bit more at rest.

I have occulta myself, had bladder and bowel problems as a child they sorted themselves out almost fully and my walking is nearly perfect due to surgery on my foot and back and I've escaped learning difficulties thankfully. I'm very lucky.

I'm glad that I went to my GP before trying as the higher dose of folic acid is only available on prescription.

That's a really good point about the spectrums as many with occulta might never even know they have it so the chances of a serious disability is much less. 1 in 25 just sounds high but put another way it's 4% which sounds far less scary too. :D

My cousin has a 20 month old and she has spina bifida and hydrocephalus also, she's had a couple of operations to unblock and replace shunts but is coming on really well. My cousin found out at her 20 weeks scan, but that was up North.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

January wrote: »
    If a scan is offered between then they'll spot it at that scan, if not it should be spotted at the anomaly scan near the 20th week of pregnancy.

not every hospital does an anomally scan- the cumh does not offer it if you having a "normal" pregnancy.

not every hospital does an anomally scan- the cumh does not offer it if you having a "normal" pregnancy.

But surely... you get A scan?! Even one???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

January wrote: »
    But surely... you get A scan?! Even one???

a dating scan was the only big scan I got at 14 weeks---- I went private for anomally scan.
    Anomally scan would be an important one , in my opinion for all people regardless of how their pregnancy progresses

a dating scan was the only big scan I got at 14 weeks---- I went private for anomally scan.
    Anomally scan would be an important one , in my opinion for all people regardless of how their pregnancy progresses

I have to agree and I think that should it be an either/or situation that it should always be anomaly scan over dating scan... unless there is a big question over how far along they are...

Advertisement