Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom monopoly? HELLLLLLLLLLLLP

• 09-08-2011 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I just had to get a line activated in a house I am to rent and eircom told me that I must use their services and pay them rental even though I wish to have a different internet provider? Is this true and if so is it legal?

Please help as I need to get the internet connected asap and the eircom offers are so overpriced and so poor that I really dont want to be stuck with them for a year.

Has anyone any factual information on this that might help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Huh, I thought that it was a new monopoly game that was out.

You should have gotten your broadband provider to activate the line op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 disgruntled1

Big Lar wrote: »
    Huh, I thought that it was a new monopoly game that was out.

You should have gotten your broadband provider to activate the line op

Eircom told me that due to the fact that a previuos tenant had already left an overdue bill they would not allow this line to be opened at any stage

Can anyone tell me why I cant simply use the newly opened line and get another provider without having to pay line rental to eircom, ps. I have not signed any contracts yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Its eircom's line and even if you had another provider, you have to pay the eircom line rental, either to eircom yourself or via the other provider.

I actually found eircoms broadband & evening/weekend call apckage to be the best priced of all plans available (€44.98 ) and including 8mb BB, line rental and all national off peak calls. - That's under €20 for decent BB & off peak calls when you deduct the line rental cost.

Beware of some of small print in other offerings - UTV charge you a disconection fee if you leave them - even if you're with them 3 years. Perlico's customer service is appalling.

Eircom's contarct is for 6 months and no penalty if you leave. - Check all the plans again for all the hidden charges and fees.

maxer68 wrote: »
    Its eircom's line and even if you had another provider, you have to pay the eircom line rental, either to eircom yourself or via the other provider.

I actually found eircoms broadband & evening/weekend call apckage to be the best priced of all plans available (€44.98 ) and including 8mb BB, line rental and all national off peak calls. - That's under €20 for decent BB & off peak calls when you deduct the line rental cost.

Beware of some of small print in other offerings - UTV charge you a disconection fee if you leave them - even if you're with them 3 years. Perlico's customer service is appalling.

Eircom's contarct is for 6 months and no penalty if you leave. - Check all the plans again for all the hidden charges and fees.

I looked at Home Vision whos deal suits me better as it has uncapped monthly downloads ( I play lot of online games) Also theres was a 10mb line. The package you talk about up there is NGB and thats not available in the suburbs of Cork and also I dont use landline phones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have not signed any contracts yet

You don't have to sign anything. You either agreed to the contract when signing up online, or verbally on the phone. Either way, it is a legally binding contract.

There is nothing illegal about what eircom have done, however unfair it may seem.

Also, don't start the same thread in multiple forums. It is considered spamming, and it splits and duplicates the discussion. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement