Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in Europe for a Year?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

I have done a bit of travelling in my time, US, Oz, Thailand and Europe and my favourite place has been Europe, so beautiful so much history and diversity and close to home!

I am considering moving there for a year (prob in 12 months time, by the time I save, sort out bills etc.) anyway what I'm looking for is feedback from people who have made the move, where did you go, whats the standard of living like, is there a language barrier or do you speak the language, how much would you need to sat yourself up?

I don't speak any European language but do have LC French and German (VERY dusty now but am more than willing to brush up on my skills!!)

Looking forward to feedback from ye :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

intouch44 wrote: »
    I am considering moving there for a year (prob in 12 months time, by the time I save, sort out bills etc.) anyway what I'm looking for is feedback from people who have made the move, where did you go, whats the standard of living like, is there a language barrier or do you speak the language, how much would you need to sat yourself up?

There are 50 countries in Europe and 27 in the EU. It's literally unfathomable that you would actually say "I'm considering moving there". for example, english language barrier: not a problem in central london, a considerable problem in rural Italy. french language barrier: a big problem in czech republic.

!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag , Utrecht and Eindhoven - Netherlands

Brussels - Belgium

Luxembourg

Vienna - Austria

Zurich - Switzerland

Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Munich and Berlin - Germany.

Can get by with English with regard to jobs and services in those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

I have done a bit of travelling in my time, US, Oz, Thailand and Europe and my favourite place has been Europe, so beautiful so much history and diversity and close to home!

I don't speak any European language but do have LC French and German (VERY dusty now but am more than willing to brush up on my skills!!)

Looking forward to feedback from ye :)

Gas post, like something you'd see in Father Ted! thinking about moving to Europe? Il give ya a hint, you live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Hmmm I don't really see whats so funny bout the my OP but suppose everyone has a different sense of humour.

I was looking for advice on countries within MAINLAND Europe, I'd be most interested in France/Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Hmmm I don't really see whats so funny bout the my OP but suppose everyone has a different sense of humour.

I was looking for advice on countries within MAINLAND Europe, I'd be most interested in France/Germany.

Germany would be a much better bet than France if you only speak English in terms of obtaining work. I have a friend who teaches in Dussledorf, married with a kid and all now, he is very happy there and only comes home about once every 3 years to touch base but says he feels no desire to move back long term. Anyway when he went first he had no German and got work no problems and over a period of a few years got the language down so it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

While as someone said French is useless in the Czech Republic, most people over 30 speak German, and most people under thirty speak English, even when they tell you they dont.

All international companies work though English so finding work isnt difficult, and many Czechs will prefer to talk to you in English to improve their conversational skills.

The Czech Crown is one of if not the strongest currency in Europe at the minute with most companies expanding. While the food generally sucks, the beer is great, and things are quite cheap here. I would recommend it.

Advertisement