Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Car insurance???

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all

I was just wondering does anyone in Ireland do weekend insurance for cars?I Have a work van for during the week but want to get something for a weekend car.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You can rent a car with insurance.

Try enterprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

As in every weekend?
    :confused:

Not a hope in hell.

You may be able to get your insurer to transfer your insurance onto a car as a once off however there is no way you can get a policy that would cover a car every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No one does it as pointless for the customer. If the car is stolen during the week you would have no cover and that is not good for the customer. Insurance is not just for when you drive the car it covers for when its sitting there in case it gets crashed into or stolen or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What about cover for driving only a certain distance per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Most policies ask what your annual mileage is. How much this is taken into account is another matter. I hope it does reduce the premium.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    What about cover for driving only a certain distance per year?

How could an insurer possibly regulate what a customer is going to drive mileage wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

How could an insurer possibly regulate what a customer is going to drive mileage wise.
    It's like everything to do with insurance, it will come to light in the event of a claim. If an insurer gives a discount for low mileage, they will investigate how many miles were on the car when you bought it and the time lag to the mileage on the date of the accident. That will give the average annual mileage

Ahhh,I thought he ment that an insurer could offer cover on the basis that the customer only drove x miles a year,hence the :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I get a low milage discount, up to 10k a year. I think my insurer may offer further discount for lower annual mileage. But like oldyouth pointed out, in the event of a claim they might compare the mileage on the car compared to when I insured it or got the car, and use this information to affect any claim made.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Most insurance companies give a discount if you do less than 5,000 miles, anything over 5,000 and the discount won't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

there is such a thing as a limited mileage policy. however it is usually for classic cars and maxs out at 4,000km generally.

Advertisement