Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does this tattoo mean?

• 09-08-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My best friend has gotten a Japanese tattoo, and wont tell me what it means, he told me to work it out myself.

Hence i'm here.

Doesnt seem to breaking forum rules, sorry if it is,

Cheers in advance ,
    Emma xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Nagikami

From what I can tell from my limited knowledge of Japanese it says:
    Hardship strengthens people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

This is it typed out :'苦難は人を鍛える'

If you pop that into one of those internet translaters you'll get: 'The hardship trains a person' or 'Will train the human misery'!

My translation would be pretty much the same as Nagikami - Hardship makes you stronger, or the tough times discipline us or something... who knows what your friend was hoping for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

I really think that tattoo is awful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Nah, it really means "I've a small penis..." ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Tristram wrote: »
    I really think that tattoo is awful...

i wrote that in my post too.. but then edited it out becuase I felt bad!

its one thing with chinese symbols.. but seeing a japanese sentence written out as a tattoo is fairly wierd..
    if you really wanted to get a japanese tattoo, a 4 moji jukugo would be far better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Giruilla wrote: »
    i wrote that in my post too.. but then edited it out becuase I felt bad!

its one thing with chinese symbols.. but seeing a japanese sentence written out as a tattoo is fairly wierd..
    if you really wanted to get a japanese tattoo, a 4 moji jukugo would be far better.

Yeah, definitely. Some of my mates have gotten really nice tattoos over here before shipping back home. Most are images that incorporate kanji.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RyDar

The equivalent in English would be the phrase "what doesn't kill someone makes them stronger" :)
    I really think Japanese sentences make awful tattoos, the Kanji doesn't tend to flow with the Hiragana, especially in the longer phrases...

edit: inb4theflame
    I'm giving "what doesn't kill someone makes them stronger" as an equivalent and not as a literal translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

emzolita wrote: »
    My best friend has gotten a Japanese tattoo, and wont tell me what it means, he told me to work it out myself.

I bet he can't even read it himself. Ask him to read it out loud for the laugh.

You might also let him know that the last character looks more like a stylised 'ろ' rather than 'る', which it's supposed to be.

Advertisement