Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord didn't turn up to collect keys

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

The contract on my rental agreement ran out on 21st July however I contacted the letting agency to ask for a months extension, which they agreed to, no problem.

I paid the following months rent and a few days later informed the agency that it would be my intention to move out on the morning of 8th August.

The letting agency acknowledged this, and agreed to come to the house that morning, with the landlord, for inspection, hand over of keys, return of deposit etc. The date and time was re-confirmed the day before the move date.

On the move date I tried numerous times to call the letting agency to find out what time they were coming, but received no answer, leaving several answerphone messages. The agreed time arrived and passed with no show. Eventually I had to lock up, leave the keys with a friend, and go for my flight.

I have been trying again all day today, from Spain, but again, no answer.

I left the house in good condition, and would have expected full deposit returned. However, I won't be there now when/if they finally get round to inspecting the house.

What is my next move? I've tries for two days solid to get hold of them, without reply.

Should I wait a while, to see if we can sort out any confusion or should I be on to the PRTB as soon as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I wouldnt jump on to the PRTB just yet, although your situation is less than ideal being overseas atm, you dont know if they will raise a dispute over this yet.

I hope you have some sort of paper trail ready in the unfortunate event it does turn into a dispute? The notice you gave and the agreement of the inspection/key return date, did you write a letter or email for these?

If not, I suggest you try get something across in writing asap and keep your phone records to show your attempts to contact them (even from Spain!).

Advertisement