Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom forcing contracts on me

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have recently moved to a rental property in Cork and have been trying to get a bradband provider but they all require an active line. I called Eircom who told me they could not activate it due to there being an outstanding bill from a previous tenant.. This however was overcome by me email a copy of my lease to them. This took 4 days to sort out as I had to resend the mail twice due to being given the wrong email address on the first occasion.

Now my line is to be unlocked and I thought great now I can shop around for a provider, however the eircom sales staff said that by unlocking this line I was obliged to contract with them for the service and it was a fixed 12 month one with fixed penalties for early cancellation.

I have not signed any contract nor do I plan too as I have found a provider who gives a much better package deal.

Can eircom hold me to account over the line rental or worse still disconnect it if I go with a different provider?

Please help as I feel like I am being blackmailed into a contract that I dont want.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 disgruntled1

I have spoken to Comreg regarding this, I have cancelled eircoms reconnection of the line and told them to cease the old line. They then gave me the old number associated with the line and I am pleased to say I can get another provider to connect it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I have recently moved to a rental property in Cork and have been trying to get a bradband provider but they all require an active line. I called Eircom who told me they could not activate it due to there being an outstanding bill from a previous tenant.. This however was overcome by me email a copy of my lease to them. This took 4 days to sort out as I had to resend the mail twice due to being given the wrong email address on the first occasion.

Now my line is to be unlocked and I thought great now I can shop around for a provider, however the eircom sales staff said that by unlocking this line I was obliged to contract with them for the service and it was a fixed 12 month one with fixed penalties for early cancellation.

I have not signed any contract nor do I plan too as I have found a provider who gives a much better package deal.

Can eircom hold me to account over the line rental or worse still disconnect it if I go with a different provider?

Please help as I feel like I am being blackmailed into a contract that I dont want.

Hi disgruntled1,

I appreciate your frustration, however the six month line contract was introduced because

- Some customers who got connected and subsequently moved providers did not pay the connection or service charges for the short period of time they were connected with eircom.

Now of course eircom have an obligation to connect customer as eircom own the network. However we had to implament the six month contract - to insure there would be some return for the works in connecting customers.

If you have any follows queries let me know.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sirenshiera

When I moved to my new place, the phoneline had been disconnected. When I rang eircom to talk about getting it reconnected they told me that they could reconnect it no problem if I signed with them for at least 6 months. OH! and that they were the only ones that could reconnect me, no other company could do it. I asked them if that meant that I could not sign with any other company if I wanted a phoneline in my new house and they said that yes I had to sign with them or have no phone at all. Now THAT is utter Bull****, I contacted ComReg and they confirmed what I thought. That I can sign with anyone, and that they get eircom to reactive the line, it takes weeks longer, but it can be done.
    ComReg:
    "If the line is currently inactive, you can contact your chosen provider and request the line under the new tenant process, and inform them that the line is disconnected, so they would have to contact Eircom themselves to request it be reconnected under the New Tenant Process"

I might have signed with Eircom if they hadn't so blatantly lied to me. I think that shows how they would treat me as a customer if i went with them, like a moron that they can force into paying them money. I really hate that they try to do that to people, its disturbing that they are allowed to continue to do it also.

Advertisement