Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some advice on my first surf board

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all, been surfing since Easter and finally feel its time to invest in my first board, I was in Bundoran last weekend and was surfing an 8ft soft top slick bottom board with ease, :D I've recently seen an add for a second hand BIC Mini Malibu Surf Board at a good price. The board is 7ft 9" and I'm not sure of the width. Would this board be too big of a leap for me? I'm a big guy about 6' 1" and 16 stone so am I better going for a bigger long board? :confused::confused::confused:

Any advice would be appreciated....

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I learned on a BIC 7"9, I'm shorter and lighter than you though. You still might get away with it though, although might be no harm to get something a small bit bigger. I think BIC also make an 8"3 min mal too, not sure though. If you can afford it it would be no-harm to get a proper longboard (9" plus) either as long as you're careful with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TCorcoran

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I learned on a BIC 7"9, I'm shorter and lighter than you though. You still might get away with it though, although might be no harm to get something a small bit bigger. I think BIC also make an 8"3 min mal too, not sure though. If you can afford it it would be no-harm to get a proper longboard (9" plus) either as long as you're careful with it.

cheers mikeroo, i would be thinking that a long board would probably be better but this is going so cheap it would be a great bargain... if it'll suit me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

I just recently bought mine. I'm 6'2 15 stone. First I tried NSP 7'10. I thought It would be ok but I was wrong. I had a feeling it was not buoyant enough and I struggled on it catching waves. Then I tried 8'2 and It was perfect so I bought it (Decided on NSP Surf Series instead normal NSP as It was way cheaper. The only difference is it is matt finish and doesn't have the graphics but I want to do my own graphics on it so that's even better). I would say go longer than shorter. Especially with your first board. It worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Where is a good cheap place to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

OP - Rent out a board similar to the one you are thinking of buying, and see how it feels, if you can get up on it, then thats the board for you to learn on.. I got a great deal on a 7ft 3 Mini Mal and Wetsuit for £310 last xmas, see here http://www.kingofwatersports.com/surfboard-packages-c590.html

Guaranteed that there are no dings when buying new and to be honest its nearly cheaper than some of the second hand boards you see people in Ireland selling - usually a pure rip off.. They are very nice to deal with on the phone too, based in Wales I think..

• Advertisement

@Tidyweb
    I bought mine from Surf Co. in Bundoran. You can rent it and if you decide to buy they will deduct price of rental from the price of a surfboard. Last weekend they also had a great deal for surfboards - 25euro off so absolutely brilliant.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend King of Watersports. I had problems with them. I don't want to get into all the details but I'll just say I placed an order, I was told it would be sent "tomorrow". Two weeks passed and during that time I contacted them quite few times and they kept saying "tomorrow". After that time I was told there was a problem and the stuff I ordered was not in stock (even It was on the website and they confirmed it over the phone). At the end I had to cancelled my order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TCorcoran

Cheers guys i was talking to some people this morning who sell boards and they suggested 8 2 NSP range, so i think your spot on MACtic. I think i'll have to make a trip to lahinch and just rent out a hard board and see how i get on. I do think that try before you buy is the only way to go.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

As a newbie- is it worth investing in a foamie at all? I hear you out grow them quickly, can anyone suggest a decent longboard?thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

If ya don't buy into the BS surf image nonsense then getting a foamie is worthwhile.
    Better than a mid-length Bic IMO.

Many more experienced surfers are actually getting themselves foamies of late, usually for use at very crowded spots or as a spare.
    Often you'll see surf instructors using the school's foamies after classes are finished and it's pretty apparent that they are can do more than just belly board through mush-burgers.

Always useful as a spare board for your mates when you progress onto a hard board and quite sale able.
    If you insist upon a real board than a better alternative to the Bic would be something along the lines of a soft-top Surftech.

http://www.surftech.com/technology/softops/

Thanks! that is v helpful info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    If ya don't buy into the BS surf image nonsense then getting a foamie is worthwhile.
    Better than a mid-length Bic IMO.

Many more experienced surfers are actually getting themselves foamies of late, usually for use at very crowded spots or as a spare.
    Often you'll see surf instructors using the school's foamies after classes are finished and it's pretty apparent that they are can do more than just belly board through mush-burgers.

Always useful as a spare board for your mates when you progress onto a hard board and quite sale able.
    If you insist upon a real board than a better alternative to the Bic would be something along the lines of a soft-top Surftech.

http://www.surftech.com/technology/softops/

started with a foam top and "glass' bottom, got a new board for the next step up. I love the foamie, yeah it's perfect for crowded days when there's families and plenty of kids in the water. It's also a monster for those small waves. Couldn't recommend one enough.

keryl wrote: »
    started with a foam top and "glass' bottom, got a new board for the next step up. I love the foamie, yeah it's perfect for crowded days when there's families and plenty of kids in the water. It's also a monster for those small waves. Couldn't recommend one enough.

Thanks- can I ask what brand has a foam top and fibreglass bottom?that is what Im after. I think circle one mybe?

Pretty sure the one Cecil mentioned, surftech do them. I have the NCS one, just a soft top and plastic base really,lol. All you need really when starting off, great fun.

nsp any good?

Yeah I bought NSP Surf Series and I am really happy.

lizgal wrote: »
    nsp any good?

Hi

People love them, very common. I did ask one guy about them though, he said they were terrible because of the shape??

I've only used them when renting and found them fine. Why not just get the likes of an NSP and ride it death till you advance more, they sell pretty easy apparently. Also, should be plenty of second hand boards around.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keryl wrote: »
    Hi

People love them, very common. I did ask one guy about them though, he said they were terrible because of the shape??

I've only used them when renting and found them fine. Why not just get the likes of an NSP and ride it death till you advance more, they sell pretty easy apparently. Also, should be plenty of second hand boards around.

They're a lot more responsive and faster than bic I find, I reckon they'd be better for your surfing in the long run than a bic.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're a lot more responsive and faster than bic I find, I reckon they'd be better for your surfing in the long run than a bic.

i started on my mates bic and then got an nsp, nsp is far better easier to turn

I've found an NSP for 350 used- 9 foot.That too pricey?

lizgal wrote: »
    I've found an NSP for 350 used- 9 foot.That too pricey?

http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/new-surfboard-nsp-surf-series-7ft-10-inches/772579

Try to get a bag and leash at a good price.

It's a 7'10 though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement