Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abattoir

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Does anyone know where the old abattoir was/is in Galway? Going back 40 years there was one somewhere near the docks but i can't find any info on google etc.

Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

I can find out and get back to you tomorrow if thats any good to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

karen89 wrote: »
    I can find out and get back to you tomorrow if thats any good to you!!

Thanks, my gf's grandfather is down from Belfast and worked there 40 years ago, he is looking to go and see the site but isn't sure where it is. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theprisoner

There was an abattoir directly across from the Fair-green hostel, slightly up but on the same side where Habitat used to be. I lived across from there in the Elms could hear the animals scream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

there was one up in the square i think around where the bus station is .It closed in the late eighties early nineties . Could that be the one he is thinking of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

yea i think thats the one alright, up near the fair green or directly opposite the bus station steps as they are right now.

theres books of old galway in Eason that will give you all that history.

Maurice Spellman is the author as far as im aware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh that horrific sound of the circular saw and the screaming pigs. Stuff of nightmares! And the poor little sheep being herded up the grille and in the door.

Welcome to Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oh that horrific sound of the circular saw and the succulent pigs. Stuff of nightmares! And the delicious little sheep being herded up the grille and in the door.

Welcome to Galway!

FYP:)

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oh that horrific sound of the circular saw and the screaming pigs. Stuff of nightmares! And the poor little sheep being herded up the grille and in the door.

Welcome to Galway!

Sounds like your describing the students returning by train and bus for another year of college

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    FYP:)

That too, but not what you want to hear after an uncomfortable train journey.

I swear it had a lot to do with me being so morbid as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Thanks guys. Not the kind of place i'd enjoy working in but a trip down memory lane for Granda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

i vaguely remember it myself!

also,anyone remember hurdy gurdys up eyre square at certain times of the year?right in front of the current bank of ireland building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Winston79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the old abattoir was/is in Galway? Going back 40 years there was one somewhere near the docks but i can't find any info on google etc.

You don't have to back 40 years. It was still there when I was going to school.

It was there until c.20 years ago. Maybe even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

There used to be a small market also where the webworks building is now. You could buy live pigs, sheep and cows and then bring them across the road to the abbatoir to get slaughtered

There used to be a small market also where the webworks building is now. You could buy live pigs, sheep and cows and then bring them across the road to the abbatoir to get slaughtered

It put the fair in fairgreen!

250px-We_Put_The_Spring_in_Springfield.JPEG

I remember the hurdy gurdies too. The swing boats rocked, there was always one side where the rope was too short and it kept shooting out of your hand on the downswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

yup it was at the fairgreen beside where the train station is!!!

there was also a slaughter house down near the market or st nicholas church. if you were to travel from the saturday market up the street towards cps theres a car park on the left there, there as a slaughter house there too as far as im aware.

again those books i mentioned would confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yup, the abattoir was def beside the station. Say, where the Fair Green Hostel is now.
    Must have closed in the mid-90s - maybe 95?

kraggy wrote: »
    Winston79 wrote: »

You don't have to back 40 years. It was still there when I was going to school.

It was there until c.20 years ago. Maybe even less.

Definitely c.10 years ago the building itself was there, but I think it lay vacant for a long time?

The abattoir was open until the mid 90s
    there was also a slaughter house down near the market or st nicholas church. if you were to travel from the saturday market up the street towards cps theres a car park on the left there, there as a slaughter house there too as far as im aware.

again those books i mentioned would confirm it.
    ? I understood that was the site of the Old Mon (a predecessor of St. Pats and the Bish) though looking at the Bish history site it only refers to Lombard street and not Market street so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The oldest abattoir was situated at the site of the carpark beside Sally Longs pub at the junction of Bowlingreen lane and Newtownsmyth, the entrance was on Bowlingreen lane,the river that runs at the side of the carpark(it used to power a turbine in the ESB)is called by locals Slaughterhouse River but I did hear that some jobsworth is trying to change the name to somehthing more pc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement